Reload this Page >

Direct Flights versus One Stop Flights

Direct Flights versus One Stop Flights

Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

tamhawk1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Direct Flights versus One Stop Flights

Hi,

I live in the USA and have family come over pretty much every year. Whenever we look at flights we always notice that the one stop flights are less expensive sometimes but a considerable amount.

An Example would be that a flight from Manchester to Atlanta could be 800GBP direct but a flight from Manchester to Jacksonville via Atlanta could be 500GBP. This is when still catching same flight from Manchester to Atlanta but just connecting.

1, Is there a reason behind the flight price differences?

2, What stops people from booking a one stop flight but then clearing immigration and customs in Atlanta and exiting there, so no connection?

Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tamhawk1969
Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct Flights versus One Stop Flights

No idea why, but this related story is very interesting:
How a 23-year-old beat United Airlines - Dec. 31, 2015
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

You are paying for convenience!

When Mrs DJ and myself were dating I would fly any route that was cheap

LHR to JFK to ATL to LAS my worst, think it worked out close to 22 hours from start to finish

I even booked short notice package deals with hotel included, these bizarrely enough worked out cheaper than a flight alone, Virgin used to have screaming short notice deals

But booking an indirect flight has been the savvy travellers way of getting a cheaper flight, fly to the 'stopover' destination but not continue further

I have a sneaking suspicion airlines cottoned on and were reflecting that in the pricing
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it call open jaw?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't complete the flight the airline cancels all onward/ return legs. It can be done on a limited basis on the return leg if you can get hold of your luggage, but you're playing with fire if you try it on the outward leg.

A family friend tried to use the return leg of a ticket that he had not used the outward leg of, and found himself stranded in California with no way to buy a ticket - one way tickets cannot be bought by non-US citizens, or at least they couldn't then, in the years shortly after 9/11.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you don't complete the flight the airline cancels all onward/ return legs. It can be done on a limited basis on the return leg if you can get hold of your luggage, but you're playing with fire if you try it on the outward leg.

A family friend tried to use the return leg of a ticket that he had not used the outward leg of, and found himself stranded in California with no way to buy a ticket - one way tickets cannot be bought by non-US citizens, or at least they couldn't then, in the years shortly after 9/11.
Its not so much the return portion

For example I want to fly to Atlanta it costs $1000, if I fly to Vegas via Atlanta it costs $800

So I book the Vegas trip but get off at Atlanta

It tends to work better international because you have to physically claim your luggage at POE

If you fly internally take carry on only, otherwise your hold luggage will automatically transfer to wherever your final destination was

As I said I think the loophole has been 'adjusted'
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that was the case.

I personally try to go for whatever route has least transfers.

A) I don't trust luggage handlers if I was forced into checking luggage. I try do all my trips just on hand luggage allowance if I can help it.

B) I never trust how long the customs / immigration line is
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Its not so much the return portion

For example I want to fly to Atlanta it costs $1000, if I fly to Vegas via Atlanta it costs $800

So I book the Vegas trip but get off at Atlanta. .....
But if you book UK- Vegas- UK, but get out at Atlanta and not fly to Vegas, how do you get home?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

But if you book UK- Vegas- UK, but get out at Atlanta and not fly to Vegas, how do you get home?
Your only using one portion of the ticket

Mrs DJ used to fly like this

Book previously mentioned ticket, get out at Atlanta, fly on another ticket to perhaps Dallas

She would have meetings around the US, using various 'portions' of tickets, its a complete faff, but saves companies a ton of money

She would never go to Vegas and may not even return to Atlanta

As you know returns are cheaper than singles, and the return portion not used, standby flights become available

Her itinerary was a crazy binder of flight bookings

Like I said its for the savvy traveller, and a great way to save cash for the frequent flyer
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.

Really this trick only works on the return portion or one-way tickets, or if you simply don't want to take the return. I toyed with the idea of doing it on a return to San Francisco last year, as the layover city turned out subsequent to buying the ticket to be somewhere I would have liked to have been and it would have saved me $$ just to skip the last leg back to SFO. But... the airline then changed my flight to a non-stop to SFO! The bottom line is when you buy a ticket, the airline is contracting to take you from point A to point B; they are not contracting to take you via a specific point C even if that is what was originally ticketed.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 27th 2016 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed.

Really this trick only works on return flights or one-way tickets, or if you simply don't want to take the return. I toyed with the idea of doing it on a return to San Francisco last year, as the layover city turned out subsequent to buying the ticket to be somewhere I would have liked to have been and it would have saved me $$ just to skip the last leg back to SFO. But... the airline then changed my flight to a non-stop to SFO! The bottom line is when you buy a ticket, the airline is contracting to take you from point A to point B; they are not contracting to take you via a specific point C even if that is what was originally ticketed.
Yup that happened to Mrs DJ, also missing your connector because of delays, especially if the connector is something you booked, the airlines will do little to help, as far as they are concerned you arrived in time for their connector

She got upgraded to business..........was over the moon, but changed to direct...... oh lordy lol

As I said a faff! I had more than one phone call from Mrs DJ, helping her via Skyscanner/Expedia/Travelzoo, I got pretty good at it!
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:30 pm

... As you know returns are cheaper than singles, and the return portion not used, ....
Right, but buying two transatlantic returns isn't going to save the OP and money, so while it can be a viable strategy for domestic flights within the US (which I didn't mean to deny), it doesn't help the OP at all.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right, but buying two transatlantic returns isn't going to save the OP and money, so while it can be a viable strategy for domestic flights within the US (which I didn't mean to deny), it doesn't help the OP at all.
Maybe I went a little off tangent at some point, just a little
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:44 pm

Maybe I went a little off tangent at some point, just a little.
You're probably the first person ever to do that on BE. Probably.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're probably the first person ever to do that on BE. Probably.

Anyway off fishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.