British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Deep fried turkeys (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/deep-fried-turkeys-693455/)

Titchski Nov 14th 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Deep fried turkeys

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbup:

From the Titchski household and neighbours.

traceym Nov 14th 2010 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8981246)
This is the Cleveland thanksgiving special.

1. Put fryer in garage.
2. Fill up to the top with oil.
3. Heat up oil to frying temperature.
4. Drop in turkey.
5. Run away screaming for the fire department because the oil spilled over and exploded into flames.

It's unbelievable how many times every year this happens.

Thats the bit I don't get, every year, sirens all day, surely these things come with instructions!:confused:

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8981246)
This is the Cleveland thanksgiving special.

1. Put fryer in garage.
2. Fill up to the top with oil.
3. Heat up oil to frying temperature.
4. Drop in turkey.
5. Run away screaming for the fire department because the oil spilled over and exploded into flames.

It's unbelievable how many times every year this happens.

If the fryer isn't in the garage it's on the deck right next to the house...same ending though the house burns down. :eek: Although you may be lucky and escape with only serious burns and still have a house.

It really is unbelievable how many times this happens this time of year.

Leslie Nov 14th 2010 8:07 pm

What is it with people and their war against dry turkeys?????? Are dry turkeys such a huge problem that people are burning their own houses down in protest?

The main reasons for dry turkeys is (1) you're not roasting/baking it correctly or (2) you've bought a cheap old turkey.

Get your collective act together folks. Don't be bested by a big dumb bird.

elfman Nov 14th 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8981304)
Don't be bested by a big dumb bird.

http://www.president-bush.com/bush-turkey.jpg

Leslie Nov 14th 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8981307)

Speaking of big dumb birds. :lol:

cranners99 Nov 14th 2010 9:25 pm

I've got one and it works well. Get the peanut oil to 350 (Inject the bird as the oil heats) cook the bird for 3.5 mins per pound. It works every time.

Corn on the cob is good too. Again have the oil at 350 and give it 5 mins or until the ears float.

:thumbup:

yrsammit Nov 14th 2010 10:37 pm

I did this for the first time last year. It was fantastic. We used a large outdoor fryer with a tub of peanut oil. Delicious :)

Rete Nov 14th 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8981304)
Get your collective act together folks. Don't be bested by a big dumb bird.

Been cooking turkeys (besides dating a few as well) for over 40 years. Ain't never made a dry one yet. Turkey has got to be one of the easiest things in the world to roast.

Jerseygirl Nov 14th 2010 10:47 pm

Mum always covered the bird with rashes of bacon to stop it from drying out....gives it a lovely flavour too.

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 14th 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8981551)
Been cooking turkeys (besides dating a few as well) for over 40 years. Ain't never made a dry one yet. Turkey has got to be one of the easiest things in the world to roast.

I think it's more the pressure of it, don't you? If your turkey is no good, well, that's the star of the show! To me the hardest thing about cooking Thanksgiving is the timing. Plus last year some distant relative kept coming into the kitchen asking how much longer before she could mix her marshmallow/fruit salad (blech!) while I was trying to get the sweet potatoes to finish roasting. I was about ready to roast her. :o

Hubcaps Nov 14th 2010 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8981560)
Mum always covered the bird with rashes of bacon to stop it from drying out....gives it a lovely flavour too.

I cover mine in bacon and shove a pricked lemon up it's jacksie, never had a dry one either.

scrubbedexpat097 Nov 14th 2010 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8981609)
I cover mine in bacon and shove a pricked lemon up it's jacksie, never had a dry one either.

I'm so happy for you:lol:

Leslie Nov 14th 2010 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8981551)

Exactly. I think this whole turkey frying trend is just a thinly veiled excuse for men to blow things ups and burn things down. We've been bamboozled. :sneaky:

Bob Nov 14th 2010 11:57 pm

There was a thread on this last turkey season...

It's pretty good....but not worth the effort to do at home, but do it outside if you do...