Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Date stuff from another thread.

Date stuff from another thread.

Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Date stuff from another thread.

Firstly, congrats!

Second, you're British, not American. We use the little endian date format for a reason, it's so much easier to read. Detest the middle endian system (which turns out was England's fault).
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mksmiller's AOS from L-1 Timeline

As far as I can tell, the OP used the correct date format in his post. He may be British, but since he now lives in the USA, he's using the correct format.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, just saying that in the USA we use the format he used, and since he's in the USA, it's correct to use the USA format. Unless I totally misunderstood your post.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 8th 2014 at 8:33 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:34 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As far as I can tell, the OP used the correct date format in his post. He may be British, but since he now lives in the USA, he's using the correct format.
This is a forum for 'British' expats'. British people use the little endian format or ISO 8601. The middle endian format is only ever used by Americans (no other country in the world uses this broken format).
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a forum for British Expats who either want to immigrate to the USA or have already done so.

The US date format is preferred on this forum. Other forums on BE may be different.

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:18 pm
Banned

It's a forum for British Expats who either want to immigrate to the USA or have already done so.

The US date format is preferred on this forum.
It is? Since when?

I always use ISO 8601 for the avoidance of doubt. Others should too.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It is? Since when?

There is no "should". If anything, is a personal preference. I'm not British, and I find it difficult sometimes to read that style, especially if it's an isolated post on here. Since this is the US Immigration marriage forum, there are just as many Americans in here as Brits. Americans should not have to follow the British date style just because you like it better.

The Brits who are immigrating to the USA "should" learn the US style, since that's what they'll be using. Might as well get started here.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 9th 2014 at 2:12 am.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:14 pm

It is? Since when?

I'm not sure what you mean by the avoidance of doubt. When I see a date like 4/10/14 on here, I assume it means April 10th, because I'm American, like half the folks on this forum.

The best practice would be to spell out the date, like April 10, 2014. Only then will both Brits and Americans understand, with no doubt.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 9th 2014 at 2:12 am.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:43 pm
Banned

In not sure what you mean by the avoidance of doubt. When I see a date like 4/10/14 on here, I assume it means April 10th, because I'm American, like half the folks on this forum.
I try to read this comment and not sulk into depression. Given the REST OF THE WORLD uses DDMMYY and given the forum is for BRITISH people emigrating, you would think they wouldn't use a foreign countries (wrong) date system. They would use their own.

Hence, for the avoidance of doubt, ISO 8601 format should be used.

The best practice would be to spell out the date, like April 10, 2014. Only then will both Brits and Americans understand, with no doubt.

Rene
Couldn't disagree more. ISO 8601 was approved for a reason.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:38 pm

Yeah, we'll just have to disagree on this whole topic.

Rene
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I try to read this comment and not sulk into depression. Given the REST OF THE WORLD uses DDMMYY and given the forum is for BRITISH people emigrating, you would think they wouldn't use a foreign countries (wrong) date system. They would use their own.

Hence, for the avoidance of doubt, ISO 8601 format should be used.

Couldn't disagree more. ISO 8601 was approved for a reason.
Best practice would be to write the month out, so as to avoid confusion.

The site is hosted on US servers, hence the date
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue
Best practice would be to write the month out, so as to avoid confusion.
As commented to Noorah, I disagree. ISO 8601 was created to avoid confusions around date formats. It is the most appropriate to use when listing timelines (or any data that would require sorting).

The site is hosted on US servers, hence the date
The date isn't generated by the location of the server. It's set in the BB preferences of the site. Given I probably wrote some of the underline code in the kernel that the OS hosting this site uses, I can confidently state the time will be in ISO 8601 format.

How's it going with the sysadmin fixing the font CSS issue btw? Would be good to have that resolved.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Sep 9th 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:01 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

As commented to Noorah, I disagree. ISO 8601 was created to avoid confusions around date formats. It is the most appropriate to use when listing timelines (or any data that would require sorting).

The date isn't generated by the location of the server. It's set in the BB preferences of the site. Given I probably wrote some of the underline code in the kernel that the OS hosting this site uses, I can confidently state the time will be in ISO 8601 format.

How's it going with the sysadmin fixing the font CSS issue btw? Would be good to have that resolved.
To be blunt, it's always been that way. We aren't changing it after 14 1/2 years
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:04 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Default Re: Date stuff from another thread.

Oh, and to be fair to the OP of the original thread I've moved a ton of posts to the Trailer Park. The Immigration forums are for immigration stuff

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:04 am
Banned

You've all been doing the date wrong for 14 years then. ISO 8601 is the standard if you don't like little endian.

(Not sure why this is in this thread? I replied to Sue's comment and it appeared here)
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Date stuff from another thread.

mumble, mumble, something about argument in an empty room mumble...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.