Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Damn credit card thief

Damn credit card thief

Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damn credit card thief

Originally Posted by neil
I was in the UK for one weekend a few weeks ago, and used my mastercard once on that trip in an Indian restaurant near Goodge Street (I used cash everywhere else except the hotel and for that I used a different card).

A week and a half later the credit card company calls to say they've refused a charge with Aegean Airlines. So, they cancel my card and get me a new one. All other purchases on that card have been in the US for well over a year, and are the usual places, plus Aegean only appear to operate in Europe, so I have a pretty good reason to suspect this restaurant.

Yesterday my wife got a strange call trying to verify my phone number in relation to a website I apparently registered. It turns out another charge was refused by a company that registered a domain for "me". The website was pretending to be helping orphans and trying to get donations. That company were pretty good and took the website down as soon as I called them, but what a hassle.

I'm guessing they saw my US card as an easy target because all the UK cards are chip and pin. :curse:
A couple of questions about your trip to the UK.

1) did you call your credit card company before you left the US to tell them that you were going to be in the UK and using your card?

2) did you let your US issued credit card out of your sight when paying for any transaction in the UK?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
This just confirms my plans to pretty much only use cash for everything for our upcoming trip to South Africa. The last thing we want is identify theft problems and having to fight charges from international companies.

What I do when I'm traveling internationally and sometimes within the US is I will call Amex and advise them when and where I will be traveling and give them an approximate amount of what I anticipate spending. Any other amounts they will call me to verify before letting go through and they will know when purchases are made from that foreign location after my return date is not from me.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the UK for one weekend a few weeks ago, and used my mastercard once on that trip in an Indian restaurant near Goodge Street (I used cash everywhere else except the hotel and for that I used a different card).

A week and a half later the credit card company calls to say they've refused a charge with Aegean Airlines. So, they cancel my card and get me a new one. All other purchases on that card have been in the US for well over a year, and are the usual places, plus Aegean only appear to operate in Europe, so I have a pretty good reason to suspect this restaurant.

Yesterday my wife got a strange call trying to verify my phone number in relation to a website I apparently registered. It turns out another charge was refused by a company that registered a domain for "me". The website was pretending to be helping orphans and trying to get donations. That company were pretty good and took the website down as soon as I called them, but what a hassle.

I'm guessing they saw my US card as an easy target because all the UK cards are chip and pin. :curse:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatevs. The question is; was the curry any bloody good?!?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:58 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
He called the woman and she came over and picked up the keys
No offence, but I hope she slapped you around the ears - how the hell do you lift someone else's keys ffs.
I thought it was bad enough when some gimp took my girlfriend's suitcase by mistake at the airport once, but that really takes the biscuit.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Given they had your address as well, it's perfectly feasible the card data was stolen in the US and then sent abroad and it just happened to coincide with your UK trip. Taking your statement out of your mailbox probably gives them all the information they need to make a web purchase

We had our card cloned in LA and they were trying to withdraw cash with it in Eastern Europe within 24 hours.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Eastern Europe within 24 hours.
Long odds on Romania or Bulgaria - long, long odds on
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

oh the shame. I know i know. I felt like crap. Especially as I am always misplacing mine. Can u imagine going to the docs and not being able to get away. It was an eye opener on many levels.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Given they had your address as well, it's perfectly feasible the card data was stolen in the US and then sent abroad and it just happened to coincide with your UK trip. Taking your statement out of your mailbox probably gives them all the information they need to make a web purchase

We had our card cloned in LA and they were trying to withdraw cash with it in Eastern Europe within 24 hours.
Thats why I don't have any bill sent to me anymore, had my mail stolen once a few years back and they had a field day with it, even had a mortgage or 2 at some point.

Now the companies just send me an email, and I go to their sites to look at the bills.

Now if only the Canadian government would let me do this, but they insist on sending me paper mail with all my personal info including social ins # on most of it.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:22 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
A couple of questions about your trip to the UK.

1) did you call your credit card company before you left the US to tell them that you were going to be in the UK and using your card?

2) did you let your US issued credit card out of your sight when paying for any transaction in the UK?
I didn't tell the credit card company I was going - the transaction for the restaurant was correct on my statement.

I did not let the card out of my sight. It was all done on the machine at the table.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thats why I don't have any bill sent to me anymore, had my mail stolen once a few years back and they had a field day with it, even had a mortgage or 2 at some point.

Now the companies just send me an email, and I go to their sites to look at the bills.

Now if only the Canadian government would let me do this, but they insist on sending me paper mail with all my personal info including social ins # on most of it.
I do everything online..just make sure you don't have a keylogger trojan on your machine...any card I had compromised always seem to come from a corporation's security breach...the lastest from Heartland, I have had 4 cards replaced now
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:26 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Online statements only. All other purchases were at places I use regularly, although I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's all just too coincidental for me to dismiss it as the likely cause.

My wife had a card that she hadn't used for over a year and someone managed to charge over $2000 in a single transaction without that bank even flagging it as possible fraud (turned out the store weren't able to swipe the card so that did it using the old fashioned imprint method - the name on the card was not hers). What's worse is that the bank sent a replacement card which she never even activated, yet somehow that one got used too. Must have been an inside job at the bank that one.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
What I do when I'm traveling internationally and sometimes within the US is I will call Amex and advise them when and where I will be traveling and give them an approximate amount of what I anticipate spending. Any other amounts they will call me to verify before letting go through and they will know when purchases are made from that foreign location after my return date is not from me.
I travel a lot for biz, I am finding that I have to start doing this within the states now...just having charges from multiple states in one day seems to be a flag..
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Long odds on Romania or Bulgaria - long, long odds on
Nope - Prague. Maybe they were on a day trip.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandgurl
You're liable up to what $50?

I travel a lot and never use cash...even in so called tourist hot spots...
Actually $0 with most companies.

But it's the hassle that ensues after fraudulent use of your card thats the biggest pain in the butt rather than monetary liability.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:30 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I had a phone call in the UK from someone who said he was from the place where I had bought a mobile phone in the last year and was that correct that I had bought the phone - I said yes. (99.9% of people bought a mobile in the previous year in 2005 I reckon)

I was tired from a long day's work and wasnt sharp

He said they forgot to offer me free insurance at the time of purchase and he was calling to confirm it was in place and he would be sending the certificate

He then went on to ask for my bank account - I said why and he said that after the free years insurance it would be £5 a year and included replacement if it broke - but they needed to send a direct debit for that

I woke up just then and told him to go forth and multiply

I never accept free anything as a matter of policy - although the hoover offer gave me a free flight london - miami - and the executive who's idea it was got fired

Actually, I keep telling my wife that every time she writes a check, she is giving them her name, address, bank name, account number, account name, routing number and a specimen of her signature

What would you say if someone knocked on the door and asked for those details ? Yet we give checks out to all sorts of people.