Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dame Helen Mirren on Letterman

Dame Helen Mirren on Letterman

Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dame Helen Mirren on Letterman

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Overt displays of patriotism except on a limited number of predefined occasions (e.g. Last Night of Proms) are not necessary in the UK -- we all are already quite sure we were dealt the best card in the pack of life. Americans are laughed at not for being patriotic but for having to constantly reassure themselves of it.
I'd have to disagree,
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
And to think that this ropy old slapper from Essex played the part of The Queen in a major film! If that's what she thinks of Britain then you people over there must keep her there in Americaland as she is no longer required over here as she is not only well past her sell by date but she is also no longer fit for purpose. Give her a green card, grant her US citizenship and make sure she no longer darkens the shores of the Sceptered Isle at any time in the future.
She played the queen perfectly and she's a great actress. In case you haven't noticed, the queen herself is a ropy old slapper - fit for the knackers yard. But I hope she hangs in there, because if I have to look at, or listen to, Prince C I'll gouge out my eyes.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'd have to disagree,
Free country, ain't it?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:27 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
And to think that this ropy old slapper from Essex played the part of The Queen in a major film! If that's what she thinks of Britain then you people over there must keep her there in Americaland as she is no longer required over here as she is not only well past her sell by date but she is also no longer fit for purpose. Give her a green card, grant her US citizenship and make sure she no longer darkens the shores of the Sceptered Isle at any time in the future.
That ropy old slapper from Essex is descended from Russian nobility, you twonk. And her grandfather on her mother's side was Queen Victoria's butcher. And on a scale of one to ten, I'd definitely give her one.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Free country, ain't it?
all entitled to their own opinions indeed.

I think if she'd left the soccer/footie thing alone, indeed wouldn't have been such a flap, but she just had to go there.......!!!!

Alls I know that from a totally superficial standpoint, she gives me hope for when I hit my 60s.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Free country, ain't it?
Yep, since 1776.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:41 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Casual Friday has officially been renamed Bitchy Friday.

Feel free to continue wearing your Hawaiian shirts and khakis.

I approve this message.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
She played the queen perfectly and she's a great actress. In case you haven't noticed, the queen herself is a ropy old slapper - fit for the knackers yard. But I hope she hangs in there, because if I have to look at, or listen to, Prince C I'll gouge out my eyes.
I'm a republican - certainly no fan of the monarchy.
But I take issue with this characterization of the queen.

She's a remarkable lady. Strong. Smart. She's kept a steady hand on the tiller as figurehead. While I disapprove of monarchy, I admire this lady. She's got class. And not that sort of "class".

BTW, I just added/coined "vuvuzelization" to urbandictionary.com. It means to drown out/suffocate/obscure with meaningless noise or chatter.
Hoping to get approval.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
BTW, I just added/coined "vuvuzelization" to urbandictionary.com. It means to drown out/suffocate/obscure with meaningless noise or chatter.
Hoping to get approval.
It will be an awesome Scrabble word.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'd still hit it.
I wanted to say this. But the double standards came into play.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Casual Friday has officially been renamed Bitchy Friday.

Feel free to continue wearing your Hawaiian shirts and khakis.

I approve this message.
Darn, I thought it was Friday for a moment ... but alas, it's only Thursday ...
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Is it just me, or does anyone else 'not get' this guy? Seems to hate England, doesn't think much better of the US. I wonder what the draw is of an expat forum full of both
Hates England, but seems to view the queen as his figurehead. I thought the monarchy was a symbol of the imposition of rule from afar, which a self-respecting/England-hating Scott would dislike - but who knows!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Darn, I thought it was Friday for a moment ... but alas, it's only Thursday ...
Ah crap. So did I.

Everybody get your clothes back on.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:06 pm
Sursum corda

Ah crap. So did I.

Everybody get your clothes back on.
Phew, couldn't find my muumuu
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm a republican - certainly no fan of the monarchy.
But I take issue with this characterization of the queen.

She's a remarkable lady. Strong. Smart. She's kept a steady hand on the tiller as figurehead. While I disapprove of monarchy, I admire this lady. She's got class. And not that sort of "class".
Well, she was born and bred into the ultimate privilege, and had but one task to perform - be a strong figurehead. Not that hard. The fact that the current batch of Royals can't keep their trousers on and stay out of the tabloids makes the queen look 'good', but really - she wasn't expected to do much. Let's see ... live in one of dozens of luxury castles, never want for anything, be driven around in Rolls Royces, fly hither and thither ... wave and smile on request ...

The royals are not completely unlike politicians, in that they are public servants, paid for out of tax dollars. As long as they earn their keep, they should stay employed, like all employees.

My specific characterization that the queen is a 'ropy old slapper' was perhaps a bit harsh ... what I should have said was, the queen herself is no spring chicken, and is no better and no worse than Helen Mirren.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.