Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cutting down this christmas..?!

Cutting down this christmas..?!

Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cutting down this christmas..?!

I'm wondering how to cut down on my spending this christmas.. Mostly on peeps back home.. last christmas I spent in the region of $250 just on postage for sending gifts back home! I do have a big family.. and am trying to find cheaper alternatives!

Managed to send some gifts back home with OH this week.. so thats 4 people I don't have to worry about!!

I have some English money here that I could send to 2 of my nephews and niece... (but hate doing that!) - but there are 15 other people I need to think about.. That is just immediate family (which is alot less than I would normally buy for)..

Thing that gets my goat a bit too is.. I spend alot of time choosing peoples gifts... wrapping and sending them back home.. Almost all of my family send money and ask me to go and get gifts to wrap.. They each only have to send one parcel..I have to send loads!!!!!!

Any ideas??
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:58 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutting down this christmas..?!

Originally Posted by sambapink
I'm wondering how to cut down on my spending this christmas.. Mostly on peeps back home.. last christmas I spent in the region of $250 just on postage for sending gifts back home! I do have a big family.. and am trying to find cheaper alternatives!

Managed to send some gifts back home with OH this week.. so thats 4 people I don't have to worry about!!

I have some English money here that I could send to 2 of my nephews and niece... (but hate doing that!) - but there are 15 other people I need to think about.. That is just immediate family (which is alot less than I would normally buy for)..

Thing that gets my goat a bit too is.. I spend alot of time choosing peoples gifts... wrapping and sending them back home.. Almost all of my family send money and ask me to go and get gifts to wrap.. They each only have to send one parcel..I have to send loads!!!!!!

Any ideas??
Yep send them a western union money order and tell them to go pick thier own gifts to wrap
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yep send them a western union money order and tell them to go pick thier own gifts to wrap
could do I suppose... My Step mother TWICE sent me an english cheque for the kids birthdays.. WTF am I supposed to do with that..??!!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:06 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

could do I suppose... My Step mother TWICE sent me an english cheque for the kids birthdays.. WTF am I supposed to do with that..??!!!
Cash it, I have done in the past at my bank it takes a while like 3 weeks to go through.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:08 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I try and do themes and keep it relatively inexpensive.
over last few years i have sent portraits done in Walmart photo studio, prints of local area, and gifts from Amazon.co.uk, you can get them gift wrapped and dont have to pay the postage with exchange rate being better it may be a good time.

This year I am looking at sending my family Afternoon Tea at a stately homes from http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Category/I.../Afternoon_tea

The sanctaury have got a 3 for 2 offer I love their stuff
http://www.thesanctuary.co.uk/sanctuary-spa.htm
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
over last few years i have sent portraits done in Walmart photo studio, prints of local area, and gifts from Amazon.co.uk, you can get them gift wrapped and dont have to pay the postage with exchange rate being better it may be a good time.

This year I am looking at sending my family Afternoon Tea at a stately homes from http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Category/I.../Afternoon_tea

Excellant buyagiftuk just found mother's present cheers
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I will be cutting down on gifts this year, cost wise and size wise. Luckily we only have a smallish immediate family. My Mum has already said not to bother sending her anything this year (but I will send her something). Sister and family and I came to an arrangement a couple of years ago not to send anything except a card as they were strapped and so were we. Hubby's brother and family send us 0, not even a card, that's exactly what they will receive this year. We don't get on with them all that well anyway. FIL & MIL will get something small and light to mail or maybe a Tesco hamper to help them with Christmas food.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:38 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up mailing Christmas presents abroad because it can be so expensive. Instead, I plan on ordering stuff online from British based shops/websites for those living in the UK.

My parents gave me my Christmas present in advance earlier this year when I received cash in Dollars when I was visiting the UK.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Cash it, I have done in the past at my bank it takes a while like 3 weeks to go through.
Well I didn't know you could do that - learn something new everyday!! cheers!

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Thanks BL.. some lovely ideas on there.. i'll checking them out later

Originally Posted by joto
I will be cutting down on gifts this year, cost wise and size wise. Luckily we only have a smallish immediate family. My Mum has already said not to bother sending her anything this year (but I will send her something). Sister and family and I came to an arrangement a couple of years ago not to send anything except a card as they were strapped and so were we. Hubby's brother and family send us 0, not even a card, that's exactly what they will receive this year. We don't get on with them all that well anyway. FIL & MIL will get something small and light to mail or maybe a Tesco hamper to help them with Christmas food.

Yeah, I think I did the hamper idea last year.. may look into that again..

Also I didn't realise Amazon wrapped etc.. thats a good idea too.. Either way it all costs money.. but hopefully not as much as last year!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i just uploaded a tonne of photos onto snapfish and made a 2009 calendar for the british rellies. It has tonnes of photos of the kids on it - (up to 3 per page) you can chose background, crop the photos etc, put in titles, customise dates in the calender. There is also 20% off at the moment (if you use winter08 code at checkout. I got 5 calendars incl postage for $55 i think a few weeks back with a 35% off coupon.

Can also order mousemats, etc none of which are heavy to send.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas??
Yere ..Stop being a mug ...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Yere ..Stop being a mug ...
Oh Ray.. I think I love you...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:39 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

One big parcel? get the other end to do the leg work.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
One big parcel? get the other end to do the leg work.
I posted everyones presents in one big parcel last year. Stupidly spent hours making them look beautiful,(my favourite part!) only to have customs tear them all open and tape them all up saying inspected. My poor friend who was being santa for me, had to wrap them all up again. I'm not sure how random that is.

My brother just brought over my presents from mum and dad, once again they were unwrapped, and taped up saying inspected. I don't mind though it's goodies from lakeland and the latest Nigella book
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Ray.. I think I love you...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067L6TQ/...sl_3tzqzrzov_e

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.