Customs Issues

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs Issues

My folks are in the process of moving to the US. They have priced out shipping there 'stuff' to the US. In the letter with the price the company have stated that my folks my have to go to New York to help with customs processing. Has anyone heard of this, if so what "help" will they need? Whats it all about, anyone any ideas? We are in the midwest so apart from the age issue (of my folks) its not a simple matter of a quick spin down the road!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs Issues

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
My folks are in the process of moving to the US. They have priced out shipping there 'stuff' to the US. In the letter with the price the company have stated that my folks my have to go to New York to help with customs processing. Has anyone heard of this, if so what "help" will they need? Whats it all about, anyone any ideas? We are in the midwest so apart from the age issue (of my folks) its not a simple matter of a quick spin down the road!
Only if their belongings are inspected by customs at the POE (NY) and customs officials want to question them.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Would suggest you ask the moving company the very question. Get them to explain the need for the customer to be present when their shipment arrives Stateside.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info so far. The company that my folks are using are a well established international/domestic moving company. The guy who came & gave them the "quote" has only been in the post for a few months & they think that he may be kinda "a bit wet behind the ears" and is saying about them travelling to New York to cover his ass! This I can understand (living here in the US!!) and I advised them of my thoughts etc. They have written back to him asking specific questions about this very matter but as yet have had no reply so I am trying to find out what I can also.

Is there anything that would make it more likely that customs would want to speak to them? They are not shipping anything that could be considered dangerous or anything. The whole shipment will be packed/itemised by the moving company and is to be packed into a container that will be at there house.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info so far. The company that my folks are using are a well established international/domestic moving company. The guy who came & gave them the "quote" has only been in the post for a few months & they think that he may be kinda "a bit wet behind the ears" and is saying about them travelling to New York to cover his ass! This I can understand (living here in the US!!) and I advised them of my thoughts etc. They have written back to him asking specific questions about this very matter but as yet have had no reply so I am trying to find out what I can also.

Is there anything that would make it more likely that customs would want to speak to them? They are not shipping anything that could be considered dangerous or anything. The whole shipment will be packed/itemised by the moving company and is to be packed into a container that will be at there house.
Like you said the shipping company are just covering themselves. I think this is normal procedure as we were told the same. The shipping company would not knowingly transport anything that was dangerous or illegal...but they are not to know if you have hidden anything, ie drugs, explosives etc. Tell your parents not to worry it's just a formality.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kinda what I thought, thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda what I thought, thanks.
I wouldn't worry too much; I'd worry when the shipping company ask you for $1000 for a customs "fee" (customs charge <$200)
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The plot thickens.......................The company that they were dealing with have replied saying that they will need to go to NYC. They seem unable though to give an exact reason as to why one minute they said "may" & now its "will" need to go. They are now waiting for another company to contact them but it does eem like a real bunch of b/s!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The plot thickens.......................The company that they were dealing with have replied saying that they will need to go to NYC. They seem unable though to give an exact reason as to why one minute they said "may" & now its "will" need to go. They are now waiting for another company to contact them but it does eem like a real bunch of b/s!
That's ridiculous...does everyone one importing belongings to the US have to go to the port of entry...I don't think so?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a con of some type to me, maybe they'll get them over there and then come up with a load of charges you'll have to pay them to get it released.

Just ignore them and find someone else, there's no reason they need to be at the POE unless customs wants to see them (which is highly unlikely).
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've shipped my stuff into the US on three or four occasions and have never had to go to the port of entry. It was always door to door, and the movers handled customs clearance for me (even in the post 9-11 world).

No idea why, but I have heard of the 'moving scam' where they show up and hold your stuff ransom until you kick in a few hundred more $. Not sure if this is one of those, but hey, there are 1000s of movers--find a new one if you don't like this one.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Are the movers dealing with you or your parents? If your parents are elderly...they may think they can pull 'a fast one'...get them all confused and worried then they'll sign anything.

We used Allied Pickfords they handled everything. Don't know who your parents are using for the move but I would definitely try some of the large international companies. Sounds like a con to me.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:23 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

I agree with JerseyGirl... we shipped all of our household goods to Canada from Britain and then brought them down here. We have never needed to be at the 'port of entry' or border... the movers should do all the customs forms etc.
I am trying to remember who our movers were the first time... they were great... even hid our large quantity of scotch amongst everything!!!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like crap to me - what if you are nowhere near the POE? Our movers handled it all - I have some friends who had their stuff inspected but they didnt have to be there.

Is there something unusual they are importing?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cant give you more than my immediate experience.

My shipment arrived in Iowa from the Uk last Friday...about 700 cu ft.
The whole thing was relatively painless.
Packed January 24th in the UK. Has to be packed by the shippers since 9/11..used to be you could pack your own stuff ...maybe still can but customs in the US will jump all over any cartons marked "packed by owners"

Arrived in New Jersey around March 12th and I had them store it for me until we moved into our new home.

You do not need to be present for the customs inspection unless customs inspect and find prohibited goods...which could be just some soil on garden equipment or vehicles if you are shipping one...I didnt. I was pre warned the Dept of Agriculture has teeth

Customs charges are prorated on how much space you take of the container if you do not take the whole space. I took about half of one and the charges were $400 and my storage was $400 which I paid to the shippers with a certified check when it arrived.

All intact and zero damage that I can see so far.

Midwest Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.