Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Curious: what should me water consumption rate be?

Curious: what should me water consumption rate be?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

IcedGem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Curious: what should me water consumption rate be?

Even with a HOA we're restricted at this time of year to how often we can water, twice a week (the days are specified by the council) and not until after 7pm.. It's funny how many people I see with sprinklers going every when I cycle to work at 4am though!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

We have a front loader washing machine bought in November last year when we moved in the house. We are watering now every other day, (it was three days a week until this month) at 5 a.m. and there are a few plants I have to water manually in between. We do not water the concrete. Next year we are going to try and replace some of the sprinklers with soaker hoses or a drip system of some kind in the flower beds. I am going to ask on the City-Data Houston forum about other peoples water usage to see if this is normal for our area. I don't think we have any leaks. Our actual water bill is $40, all the rest is sewer, residential charges etc. that go up based on water usage but I still think 32,000 gallons is a lot.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Bloody hell! You people have to meter and pay for water????
PM me, I'll send you my address. You can swing by here & fill up with water here for free. (Bring your own containers.)
Our water is metered too and we live by one of the biggest Lakes in the world!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Our water is metered too and we live by one of the biggest Lakes in the world!
Same here

The only time we didn't have metered water was when we lived in a house that was supplied by well water, but the downside was that it smelt of sulphur and tasted like iron . . .

Now we're back on city sewer we get a monthly bill again, but the water tastes nice, especially when you get it really cold
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful suggestions...

... and comedic ones - it did bring a smile!

I'll contact the landlord and have the whole thing looked at, and I'll contact the water company to get the meter checked.

Cheers

HTS
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Same here

The only time we didn't have metered water was when we lived in a house that was supplied by well water, but the downside was that it smelt of sulphur and tasted like iron . . .

Now we're back on city sewer we get a monthly bill again, but the water tastes nice, especially when you get it really cold
Our city water tastes good too... I am suprised at how many people buy bottled.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the pee cools down a lot in the sewer before you extract it...
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I forgot the slash there, didn't I? Pun not intended by the way

City/sewer makes a bit more sense, doesn't it?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:07 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Thanks everybody for your thoughtful suggestions...

... and comedic ones - it did bring a smile!

I'll contact the landlord and have the whole thing looked at, and I'll contact the water company to get the meter checked.

Cheers

HTS

Harry

Call the Water Conservation Office at 480-782-3580 as the city of chandler is probably your water supplier. Also was meter replaced recently as they have a rolling program to replace all the water meters over the next three years.

Andrew
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Same here

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Our city water tastes good too... I am suprised at how many people buy bottled.

One of the things I do in the lab I work in is to check water samples for coliform and E.Coli bacteria. Most of the time the city water samples are good and have no bacteria. We often get asked if we can check the water from bottled water companies and many many times they have failed the test
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
One of the things I do in the lab I work in is to check water samples for coliform and E.Coli bacteria. Most of the time the city water samples are good and have no bacteria. We often get asked if we can check the water from bottled water companies and many many times they have failed the test
I don't doubt that for a minute. Our water tastes vaguely chlorinated, so I'm sure that kills most of the nasties. When you cool it right down you don't even notice the chlorine, but I always quite liked the tang of treated city water
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Some dude peed in our reservoir the other night. They've drained the entire thing at a cost of $36000 because of the 'ick' factor.
6-8 oz distributed over 7.8 million gallons.
If they hadn't told us, we wouldn't know. Sometimes, ignorance IS bliss.

"Anna Harding, a professor of public health at Oregon State University, returned a called from The Oregonian late Wednesday to add her thoughts.

"There is really no public health impact of someone urinating in a big, open reservoir," she said. "

"And then Shaff told city leaders about the now-infamous urination incident -- captured on camera -- which happened in the wee hours of that morning. (Yes. The wee hours)."

Oh, the follow up headline is hilarious: Oregon adopts strictest standards in United States for toxic water pollution
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Is this right...?

Our water consumption has gone up from 4,000 gallons per month in March, to 27,000 gallons per month (in May).

Sure, it's the summer and we live in the middle of some kind of desert (Phoenix, AZ) - plants get irrigated and we have a small pool, like many others around here.

I know consumption will go up in the hot season - evaporation will account for a fair bit of that (relative humidity here is often in single digits!)... but 27,000 gallons - that seems ridiculously huge.

Do I have a leak somewhere, or a faulty water meter, or are my expectations wrong?

Cheers

HTS

That sure seems like alot! We used 12,700 gallons last month and we have a son who insists on showering for an hour each day, we water the lawn 3 times a week and we have a pool that leaks
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Some dude peed in our reservoir the other night. They've drained the entire thing at a cost of $36000 because of the 'ick' factor.
6-8 oz distributed over 7.8 million gallons.
If they hadn't told us, we wouldn't know. Sometimes, ignorance IS bliss.

"Anna Harding, a professor of public health at Oregon State University, returned a called from The Oregonian late Wednesday to add her thoughts.

"There is really no public health impact of someone urinating in a big, open reservoir," she said. "

"And then Shaff told city leaders about the now-infamous urination incident -- captured on camera -- which happened in the wee hours of that morning. (Yes. The wee hours)."

Oh, the follow up headline is hilarious: Oregon adopts strictest standards in United States for toxic water pollution
I assume they know that fish and ducks pee in the lake all day and probably also have sexual relations in the lake too. Eww ick!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt that for a minute. Our water tastes vaguely chlorinated, so I'm sure that kills most of the nasties. When you cool it right down you don't even notice the chlorine, but I always quite liked the tang of treated city water
What you have to be aware of is that your guts need some bacetria in them. There can be problems if they are all killed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.