Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Old Sep 11th 2018, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Cerig1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Hi,

We are looking to relocate from the UK to Florida next July. At the moment we in the process of applying for visas for my husband and children (I’ve got dual citizenship but always live in the UK). The first stages have been approved and now we’re just waiting for medicals etc.

Anyhow, there’s so much we need to think about with regards to renting, schools, credit, the dogs, repeat prescriptions.... and I truly don’t know where to start!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Here ya go! First things first......

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_...n_about_Moving
Old Sep 12th 2018, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

where in Florida? and what age are your kids? I moved from Manchester to Miami with my family a few months ago
Old Sep 12th 2018, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Here ya go! First things first......
Superstar, thank you! I've got most things but there are things I've not even thought of!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Credit, renting, where the hell do we start?

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
where in Florida? and what age are your kids? I moved from Manchester to Miami with my family a few months ago
Hi, We're moving to Port St Lucie which is about 2hrs north of Miami - so just up the road in US terms! lol

My children will be 16, 15 and almost 12 when we move but my eldest is thinking about staying in the UK for a few years to join the military. We're in currently in Macclesfield so not far from Manchester - small world!

What made you decide to take the leap and move? and why Miami? How has your family adapted to the change?
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cerig1977
Hi, We're moving to Port St Lucie which is about 2hrs north of Miami - so just up the road in US terms! lol

My children will be 16, 15 and almost 12 when we move but my eldest is thinking about staying in the UK for a few years to join the military. We're in currently in Macclesfield so not far from Manchester - small world!

What made you decide to take the leap and move? and why Miami? How has your family adapted to the change?
we moved for my husbands work however we pushed for the move because we have friends in Miami and have been visiting many times over last 10 years (and love the lifestyle and the climate). I have a 12 and a 14 year old. One thing you need to think about is school years. My 14 yr old finished year 9 in England and has just started grade 9 here (he's stayed behind a year to be with his current age group here - UK start a year ahead) however my 12 yr old just finished year 7 in England but has started grade 8 here. It was a big decision as she will be with kids turning 14 now but you have to do what suits the individual child. I was strongly recommended to get my kids privately tested for gifted classes when I arrived here.

Re credit... we took out an American Express in UK 3 months earlier and then seamlessly transferred to American Express USA. The first month was crazy and quite frustrating. I felt like I was chasing my tail setting up bank account, health insurance, car insurance, buying cars, enrolling in schools and getting kids unto date with vaccinations. Expect a whirlwind and many hours of calling customer services!

* book you driving tests early too! you can only drive on your UK license for a month legally and the driving test centers get booked weeks in advance. Dont stress about the test tho, its ridiculously easy, just make sure you do quite a few practice tests online to familiarize with road signs etc

Last edited by karenkaren1; Sep 12th 2018 at 2:15 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you aware that as a USC, once your children enter the US with their IR-1 visas, they will become automatic USC. Bear this in mind for your oldest as he/she having dual citizenship will be helpful if or when they decide after military service in the UK to return to the US to live and work. Urge him/her to go the visa route, enter the US, apply for their US Passport and if they so desire, leave the US for return to live in the UK.

Also note that once a male child becomes 18 they must register for the selective service even though the US has not had a draft in decades.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you aware that as a USC, once your children enter the US with their IR-1 visas, they will become automatic USC. Bear this in mind for your oldest as he/she having dual citizenship will be helpful if or when they decide after military service in the UK to return to the US to live and work. Urge him/her to go the visa route, enter the US, apply for their US Passport and if they so desire, leave the US for return to live in the UK.

Also note that once a male child becomes 18 they must register for the selective service even though the US has not had a draft in decades.
Does that mean that as soon as the kids enter the US they will then become eligible to pay US taxes for the rest of their lives? Is USC for the kids optional?
Old Sep 13th 2018, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

Thanks Rete. however, all my children were born before I gained by USC and so I don't this applies to them according to the immigration website "Children born abroad after you became a U.S. citizen may qualify for U.S. citizenship.".
Old Sep 13th 2018, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
we moved for my husbands work however we pushed for the move because we have friends in Miami and have been visiting many times over last 10 years (and love the lifestyle and the climate). I have a 12 and a 14 year old. One thing you need to think about is school years. My 14 yr old finished year 9 in England and has just started grade 9 here (he's stayed behind a year to be with his current age group here - UK start a year ahead) however my 12 yr old just finished year 7 in England but has started grade 8 here. It was a big decision as she will be with kids turning 14 now but you have to do what suits the individual child. I was strongly recommended to get my kids privately tested for gifted classes when I arrived here.

Re credit... we took out an American Express in UK 3 months earlier and then seamlessly transferred to American Express USA. The first month was crazy and quite frustrating. I felt like I was chasing my tail setting up bank account, health insurance, car insurance, buying cars, enrolling in schools and getting kids unto date with vaccinations. Expect a whirlwind and many hours of calling customer services!

* book you driving tests early too! you can only drive on your UK license for a month legally and the driving test centers get booked weeks in advance. Dont stress about the test tho, its ridiculously easy, just make sure you do quite a few practice tests online to familiarize with road signs etc
Hi Karen, this is all really valuable thank you
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am intrigued as to how you became a USC, live in the UK but got it after the children were born???
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am intrigued as to how you became a USC, live in the UK but got it after the children were born???
Most people are

My mum is USC, moved over to the UK when she was 4yrs and went onto have me and my siblings but thankfully I was born out of wedlock! Mum moved back over to the US and I stayed here and started my own family. We visited several times and then we decided that I would apply for my citizenship in the hope that we can relocate to be near them.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Check it all out thoroughly. I still say your children will become USC after they enter the POE with a valid IR-1 visa. Pay for a one time consultation with an immigration attorney.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cerig1977
Most people are

My mum is USC, moved over to the UK when she was 4yrs and went onto have me and my siblings but thankfully I was born out of wedlock! Mum moved back over to the US and I stayed here and started my own family. We visited several times and then we decided that I would apply for my citizenship in the hope that we can relocate to be near them.
"For children born on or before June 11, 2017, mother must prove that she was physically present in the U.S. for a minimum period of one continuous year. For children born on or after June 12, 2017, mother must prove that she was physically present in the U.S. for 5 years, 2 of which were after age 14."

So you were always a USC not applied for it?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
"For children born on or before June 11, 2017, mother must prove that she was physically present in the U.S. for a minimum period of one continuous year. For children born on or after June 12, 2017, mother must prove that she was physically present in the U.S. for 5 years, 2 of which were after age 14."

So you were always a USC not applied for it?
I had to prove my eligibility through with the necessary paperwork at the US Embassy in London and wait for it to be confirmed and receive my passport. I now have dual citizenship

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.