Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Mar 25th 2021, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
My wife is driving 100 miles for a vaccine appointment tomorrow. Crazy, but given the Bay Area's supply has been reduced over 40% in the last few weeks it's the only way it's going to happen any time soon.
Is she under 65? I seem to recall so. So does that mean CA has now opened up for the 55-64 group? I drove 750 miles last week to get mine in Arizona (I'm 62)! I'm now patiently waiting here for my second dose, then I'll be heading back to CA.

I was perfectly willing to wait patiently for months, but what I'm seeing now is that fewer and fewer people are being careful. I live on a street full of over-65s, and three times now have had to 'aggressively' turn down invitations to events! My neighbor had a party and seemed surprised I didn't attend; another neighbor invited me out to lunch with them and was surprised I declined. In my local grocery store, I've now seen two people without masks wandering around; this was unheard of a few months ago.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Is she under 65? I seem to recall so. So does that mean CA has now opened up for the 55-64 group? I drove 750 miles last week to get mine in Arizona (I'm 62)! I'm now patiently waiting here for my second dose, then I'll be heading back to CA.

I was perfectly willing to wait patiently for months, but what I'm seeing now is that fewer and fewer people are being careful. I live on a street full of over-65s, and three times now have had to 'aggressively' turn down invitations to events! My neighbor had a party and seemed surprised I didn't attend; another neighbor invited me out to lunch with them and was surprised I declined. In my local grocery store, I've now seen two people without masks wandering around; this was unheard of a few months ago.
She's under 65 by a couple of years. I got my second shot a few weeks ago, so we're in the position where I and many of our friends are vaccinated but she is not. Some are now very sloppy about mask wearing. She volunteers at a food bank, including being customer facing and also taking food parcels into apartment buildings for people who can't get to grocery stores. Turns out that that makes her "quasi-eligible" as a "food worker". We'll see what happens tomorrow; she has a letter from the food bank and her health group happily signed her up. California just extended eligibility to her age group starting April 1st, but count me unconvinced that appointments will be easy to find in the Bay Area.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I got the J&J one yesterday at a Walmart Pharmacy about a hour away. No adverse effects for either me or my wife. My son, who take a medication that affects him immune system, had chills and sweats over night but was fine in the morning.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 2:50 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Confusing situation here in Illinois:

- officially, we are in stage "1b plus" on Monday, which is a brand new concept.

- the state has apparently ditched phase "1c" and will go straight to phase 2 on April 12.

- some counties are sitting on excess inventory and the state announced last night that those counties should open up eligibility at their discretion. Who, what, where etc. is totally unclear right now.

- I have friends that are not on any eligibility list that managed to get a vaccine by simply calling around and begging. I'm on vacation next week and will start doing the same myself.

Looking around, lots of vaccination sites are sitting on up to a week's worth of supply and inbound new supply volume is starting to explode quickly. This drives me nuts as cases are starting to rapidly increase again and every hour counts. Illinois should push hard to open up eligibility as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Hiro11; Mar 27th 2021 at 3:04 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 6:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

- officially, we are in stage "1b plus" on Monday, which is a brand new concept.

- the state has apparently ditched phase "1c" and will go straight to phase 2 on April 12.

- some counties are sitting on excess inventory and the state announced last night that those counties should open up eligibility at their discretion. Who, what, where etc. is totally unclear right now.

- I have friends that are not on any eligibility list that managed to get a vaccine by simply calling around and begging. I'm on vacation next week and will start doing the same myself.

Looking around, lots of vaccination sites are sitting on up to a week's worth of supply and inbound new supply volume is starting to explode quickly. This drives me nuts as cases are starting to rapidly increase again and every hour counts. Illinois should push hard to open up eligibility as quickly as possible.

It is a bit muddled.

1b+ (any age/occupation but with qualifying underlying condition), just opened up in my burb (has its own health dept) and we managed to get an appt for my OH on Tuesday for shot 1. I will go with him in case they have a spare one thawed out and they offer, other than that it's after April 2 for me, too, with the other also rans.

Chicago says its starting 1c on Monday though. The mass Cook County sites were taking 1b plus but "sold out" immediately on the last release.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 27th 2021 at 6:23 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2021, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Illinois doesn't seem to be doing a great job with the vaccine. I have a cousin in the Chicago suburbs who got her vaccine the same time as me - she is 87 years old and I am 67. Vaccination started off slow in Ohio but it has really ramped up now. My 40 year old son-in-law had his first shot last week. I must say, Mike DeWine is doing a decent job here in Ohio.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 3:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. The venue administering them had excess because of no-shows and/or cancellations. Rather than going to waste (ie can't be refrozen or shelved etc) they were giving them to anyone who wanted it. Sad really, I couldn't help but wonder if people sign up and do a no-show just to mess with supplies for personal reasons etc. Suffice to say, no reactions ... but they say its the second which you may feel effects afterwards; we'll see but mind over matter, eh?!
Old Mar 28th 2021, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I got a Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. The venue administering them had excess because of no-shows and/or cancellations. Rather than going to waste (ie can't be refrozen or shelved etc) they were giving them to anyone who wanted it. Sad really, I couldn't help but wonder if people sign up and do a no-show just to mess with supplies for personal reasons etc. Suffice to say, no reactions ... but they say its the second which you may feel effects afterwards; we'll see but mind over matter, eh?!
All I can say is - if that is true (and I believe it is entirely possible) that is a horrible thing to do.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
All I can say is - if that is true (and I believe it is entirely possible) that is a horrible thing to do.
What is much more likely is

1. People may make multiple appointments because they are not 100% confident that some of them will work out (e.g. in some locations, they’ve run out of supply even though they have appointments booked.)
2. Some people, for instance people who are not used to the complex procedures of online booking, may have made an appointment but thought they’d failed to make an appointment..

Such scenarios and variations on them are easy to imagine.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 1:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I have to say that even before I had the completed vaccination, I was out on luncheon dates with my ladies brunch and bowl on Tuesday afternoons. We have been lunching since last October 2020. Don't consider myself careless. I lived with and nursed my husband through covid-19 and no, I'm not a carrier and I've never had it either.
Old Mar 29th 2021, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
I have to say that even before I had the completed vaccination, I was out on luncheon dates with my ladies brunch and bowl on Tuesday afternoons. We have been lunching since last October 2020. Don't consider myself careless. I lived with and nursed my husband through covid-19 and no, I'm not a carrier and I've never had it either.
Everyone is different and has a different attitude. I haven't been inside a restaurant for over a year - ate on the patio a few times last summer. Now I am fully vaccinated so feel okay to do it. A co-worker of my son-in-law's is on a ventilator right now in the Cleveland Clinic - might not make it - he's in his 40s. Got Covid a few months ago - no underlying health conditions.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What is much more likely is

1. People may make multiple appointments because they are not 100% confident that some of them will work out (e.g. in some locations, they’ve run out of supply even though they have appointments booked.)
2. Some people, for instance people who are not used to the complex procedures of online booking, may have made an appointment but thought they’d failed to make an appointment..

Such scenarios and variations on them are easy to imagine.
I made 3 appts. in succession, as I kept finding better and better (nearer and/or earlier) appts. Then I went to cancel the first two - no facility to do so, online! (this was with WalMart). They did have a number and I did get through and cancel the first two appts, but I was surprised I got through. The reason I jumped on the first available appt. was that they didn't actually give you availability until after you'd already gone through several screens, and then they just hit you with 'nothing available'. So as soon as I got 'anything', I jumped on it and then moved on to another location.

Regarding people making appointments just to mess with the system ... I can imagine there's quite a bit of that. Remember that pharmacy technician who intentionally left a huge batch of vaccines out of the fridge to intentionally spoil the whole batch?! A pharmacist!
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
It's probably unlikely, but (especially before your vaccination) you COULD catch it from one of your fellow ladies who may have gotten it from someone in her circle, or from the bus-boy, the server, the ... who knows! It's assumptions like this that are causing the spread.
Originally Posted by Derrygal
Everyone is different and has a different attitude. I haven't been inside a restaurant for over a year - ate on the patio a few times last summer. Now I am fully vaccinated so feel okay to do it. A co-worker of my son-in-law's is on a ventilator right now in the Cleveland Clinic - might not make it - he's in his 40s. Got Covid a few months ago - no underlying health conditions.
It's hard to comprehend that's still happening! We probably heard too much of that in the early days; we hear too little of it now!

At my local grocery store tonight, THREE separate sets of people without a mask. A month or so ago, it was 100% compliance. I was invited to a neighbors for dinner on Wednesday; outdoor on the patio, but I doubt anyone will wear masks as they are all over 65. I expect more and more states will revoke the mask mandates in the coming weeks.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Got lucky today. Went with OH for his first shot appointment, and they did indeed have some spares due to some people not showing for their appointment (!?!?!?!?), so I got one as well. Part II will be on April 27. Moderna.

Good stuff.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Got lucky today. Went with OH for his first shot appointment, and they did indeed have some spares due to some people not showing for their appointment (!?!?!?!?), so I got one as well. Part II will be on April 27. Moderna.

Good stuff.

MIL get's her shot tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.