Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Jul 31st 2021, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think we’ll be seeing a lot of this over the next few months, high level of colds and flu. The flu season was apparently virtually completely absent 2020-21, probably because of isolating, social distancing etc. Maybe really bad flu this winter?

I had a really weird illness about three weeks ago, it lasted four days. NO cough, sore throat, runny nose etc was involved. I had mild nausea/dizziness - the feeling that you need to get back to bed, then you’ll feel OK. Extreme tiredness. Almost total loss of appetite. Bad headache, 24/7 … the type of headache that’s really bad when you move your eyeballs. Feverish feeling, and vivid dreams, at night (although temperature was normal each time I checked.)

Could have been mild flu I suppose, or possibly one of the tick-borne diseases. Of which there are several I believe. As soon as I got better my desire to go to the doctor receded.
Getting a Covid test might not have been a bad idea! You CAN still get it even when vaccinated, and they do say the symptoms are varied!

Around the Bay Area (CA), the 'buzz' seems to be, trouble is brewing. I've been going to a gym for the past month (new concept for me!) and I'm seeing more and more masks. At the grocery stores now, mask usage is back up to about 80-90%. We've been out for dinner / lunch a lot recently, and most people are wearing masks into / out of the place, only removing for actual dining (and there are NO signs requiring this!). Waiters are back to wearing maks. Now, the Bay Area is on the 'careful' side in general - there's never been a noticeable 'anti-mask' attitude, so that may be a factor. For us, wearing a mask for 15-20 minutes while in a grocery store is really no challenge (biggest challenge is to remember to carry it - I often find myself having to run back to the car!). G/F just bought three new masks online (there are some really fashionable ones out there these days and she got one of those!). We are resigned to the idea that more restrictions are coming soon. Since we are both retired and have an easy schedule, we don't really mind.
Old Jul 31st 2021, 6:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I would have thought we'd get another 'light' flu season.

I think there will be enough leftover habits of hand-washing, perhaps still some mask wearing but certain other behavioural changes might remain. If people have been, for example, drinking at home rather than the pub or been dining at home with friends instead of crowded restaurants, maybe they now have a preference for that. People signing up for all the streaming sources may not return to the cinema in old numbers.

Food and grocery delivery habits that have been picked up might not get dropped completely.

If everything goes very well I would only expect a gradual return to the old normality.
You could be right. Further, is it plausible that the historically light flu season last winter means there is a low reservoir of flu virus in the human population? And it might take a year or more to ramp back up to normal levels? My earlier, contrary, idea (we might get a bad flu season) was based on the idea of low natural resistance to some/all flu, since very few people have suffered from it over the last year or eighteen months.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 2:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
You could be right. Further, is it plausible that the historically light flu season last winter means there is a low reservoir of flu virus in the human population? And it might take a year or more to ramp back up to normal levels? My earlier, contrary, idea (we might get a bad flu season) was based on the idea of low natural resistance to some/all flu, since very few people have suffered from it over the last year or eighteen months.
That's a good point too when you consider the theory of children succumbing to various things having been 'over protected' from germs

My province of three-quarters of a million people currently has 19 cases, none in hospital. 2365 cases total and only 46 deaths in total. 66% double vaxxed.
We've done very well all round and all restrictions have just been lifted - although medical buildings are still requiring the same protocols.

My stepdaughter's employer - retail store - requires mask wearing for staff but voluntary for customers and yesterday she said most customers wore their masks. She called at the supermarket next door and said that was abut 50/50 and most people on her bus too.

If there's any place in the world where you could be care free, it might well be here and there's still a fair bit of mask wearing. Early days yet though.