Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

court for the next 2 days

court for the next 2 days

Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:10 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default court for the next 2 days

sooo not amused. About a month ago I recieved a subpoena to appear as a witness for the prosecution against the lady that crashed into me and totalled my car. I had all but forgotten about it and never realised we would be going to court! Then 2 weeks ago I recieved ANOTHER one for the man that crashed into me, they are tomorrow and wednesday! I just called up the court for the guy one to check i still need to go and she said he has entered a plea of not guilty, which i thought was a bit stupid as he was in the left turn lane and pulled right into the side of my car, and the car behind me stopped and told the police thats what he did...its not like nobody saw!!! Im assuming the other lady has also pleaded not guilty.

Has anyone been to recorders court as a witness?? Im a bit worried because these accidents were ages ago, and I dont remember all the details!!! Im hoping the police will give their report and they wont even need me!! Also if they get found not guilty, does that have any impact on me?????

I dont want to go!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: court for the next 2 days

I presume that you gave a statement at the time. I don't know about the courts where you are, but in England and Wales you can ask to review your statement before giving evidence on the grounds that your recollection at the time of giving the statement may have been clearer than it is now.

Perhaps you could ask the Clerk whether something similar applies there?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:29 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I presume that you gave a statement at the time. I don't know about the courts where you are, but in England and Wales you can ask to review your statement before giving evidence on the grounds that your recollection at the time of giving the statement may have been clearer than it is now.

Perhaps you could ask the Clerk whether something similar applies there?
good thinking - I will do that as soon as I get there!!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:07 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Just wear the cow print hat and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I just called up the court for the guy one to check i still need to go and she said he has entered a plea of not guilty, which i thought was a bit stupid as he was in the left turn lane and pulled right into the side of my car, and the car behind me stopped and told the police thats what he did...its not like nobody saw!!!
Aw, it should be okay Melly. Sometimes people will enter 'not guilty' if they want to have the chance to explain something. Example - when I was 16 I was cited for failing to maintain control of my vehicle when I went off the road and took out a phone box in the process.

If I had pled 'guilty' or even 'no contest' I could have never explained that there was a 200 long foot of black ice on the road and the man who lived nearby had been calling the state repeatedly warning them that cars were going off the road due to the black ice. So I wasn't denying that I had taken out the phone box or gone off the road, but there were mitigating circumstances I wanted to be able to explain. (Fat lot of good it did me - 16 year olds don't stand a chance in traffic court.)

Not saying that's the case, but it could be?