Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cost of flights to UK

Wikiposts

Cost of flights to UK

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of flights to UK

Originally Posted by Bob
Only for flights though, no changes for land/sea crossings. Bit of a chore there isn't an exception for US LPR's, but oh well.

So why all the love for Toronto? It is that much nicer than Montreal? I've done the Montreal lay over and it weren't bad, except the annoying French and everyone pretending not to speak English...
Yes, this is true no diff for land or sea crossing. I was just referring to it in the context of people having connecting flights through YYZ. And well I suppose they are just making it on the distinction of nationality not residency, so if you are British you get an eTA just like a Brit who lives in the UK, regardless of your status elsewhere. I suppose it could also have something to do with the fact that Canadian PRs are not exempt from ESTA either. In fact Canada goes further than the states in that regard as they allow US LPRs of any nationality to enter Canada regardless of if that nationality is normally visa-required. Americans just go based on nationality. Using the example of Ethiopians, an Ethiopian living in Ethiopia would need a visa for both the US and Canada to travel. An Ethiopian with Canadian PR would need a visa for the US. However, an Ethiopian US LPR would only need an eTA to enter Canada by air, and just their valid green card and passport to enter Canada by land/sea.

Also, Pearson airport is generally considered a huge pain. If you can avoid it I would but if the price is worth it its not that bad.
Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 1:20 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Flights from Vancouver,BC to London are only $729 round trip. I suppose you could get AMTRAK to Vancouver and fly from there.
This is what we are doing this summer to Manchester. Train up to Vancouver, the saving is paying for the train, hotels and still saves us hundreds of dollars. And we are getting a mini break in Vancouver to top it off.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 3rd 2016 at 1:26 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So why all the love for Toronto? It is that much nicer than Montreal? I've done the Montreal lay over and it weren't bad, except the annoying French and everyone pretending not to speak English...
Dunno if it's nice, never been there before. I picked it on price and timings - I wanted to try daytime eastbound flights as I get bad jetlag that way that spoils the first few days of our holiday. There are only a handful of airports that do daytime service to LHR, and Toronto was the only one where I could get a connecting flight from Columbus the same day rather than having to go the night before and stay over.

Our flights are 6am Columbus, arrive at Toronto just after 7am, then YYZ-LHR at 9.10am. Gets into LHR around 9pm local time but will feel like mid-afternoon to us. No pressure to try and get the kids to sleep on the plane, and we'll potter off to our Heathrow hotel, eat, and get to bed around midnight-1am GMT but for us it'll feel like an early night that we'll be ready for after a long day of getting up at 3.30am and traveling.

Sleep 7 hours or so, get up around 8-9am, breakfast, onward travel to parents in Suffolk feeling a little tired but not too terrible. That's the plan, anyway...
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I didn't find it time-consuming. No queues to speak of.

However, on arrival, after clearing customs/immigration, was directed upstairs to the check-in hall to the 'A' gates. The escalator brought me out in the middle. Sign said left for B & C gates and right for D, E & F gates.

Walked all the way to the 'B' end thinking 'A' must be there but still no A gates. Asked the guard on the B gate and was told it was at the other end so had to walk the entire length of the terminal.

As soon as I turned around, there were the signs for A
Same happened to me!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I shall be passing through Toronto this month; I'm doing Columbus-Toronto-Heathrow, and back, all on Air Canada.

Is the Canadian immigration and then the US pre-clearance time-consuming or complicated? I'll have 3 hours between flights to do this, with UK passports and Green Cards. I'll have a couple of tired kids to shepherd through, but we'll only have carry-on bags.
I went through and it took about a hour. People in line with me were moved to the front of the line so they wouldn;t miss their flights. It was slow and super boring because it is a plain white room and you can't even use your phone. That was after getting through the system of PCs where you have to scan your passport, which I still haven't worked out the reason for, since you still have to speak to the immigration officer for about the same length of time and he still looks at all your stuff.

At the gates it was great though, special free-iPad-usage areas where you can order and pay for food using the terminal and someone just brings it to you. USB ports and power sockets everywhere, free wifi.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a NEXUS card which means I can walk straight through immigration at US and Canadian airports with a swipe of the card. No queues...no wait.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have a NEXUS card which means I can walk straight through immigration at US and Canadian airports with a swipe of the card. No queues...no wait.
I wonder how this compares to APC and MPC (mobile passport control). I experienced APC last year at PDX ,it was quick, but PDX is a small airport.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if it's nice, never been there before. I picked it on price and timings - I wanted to try daytime eastbound flights as I get bad jetlag that way that spoils the first few days of our holiday. There are only a handful of airports that do daytime service to LHR, and Toronto was the only one where I could get a connecting flight from Columbus the same day rather than having to go the night before and stay over.

Our flights are 6am Columbus, arrive at Toronto just after 7am, then YYZ-LHR at 9.10am. Gets into LHR around 9pm local time but will feel like mid-afternoon to us. No pressure to try and get the kids to sleep on the plane, and we'll potter off to our Heathrow hotel, eat, and get to bed around midnight-1am GMT but for us it'll feel like an early night that we'll be ready for after a long day of getting up at 3.30am and traveling.

Sleep 7 hours or so, get up around 8-9am, breakfast, onward travel to parents in Suffolk feeling a little tired but not too terrible. That's the plan, anyway...
I do this regularly, couple of times each month (different airports but same principle) and it works well for me.

Up at 3.30-4am, fly from BOS or JFK at 8am, land LHR 7.30pm, hotel by 9pm, late dinner and a drink or two then hit the sack at midnight or so. Bit tired the next day but nothing too horrendous, compared to when I fly overnight and I'm buggered up for at least a couple of days.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
It was slow and super boring because it is a plain white room and you can't even use your phone.
Was this the waiting room for US immigration, coming back in? No phones, and presumably no other tech like iPads? The kids won't be happy

Originally Posted by tonrob
I do this regularly, couple of times each month (different airports but same principle) and it works well for me.

Up at 3.30-4am, fly from BOS or JFK at 8am, land LHR 7.30pm, hotel by 9pm, late dinner and a drink or two then hit the sack at midnight or so. Bit tired the next day but nothing too horrendous, compared to when I fly overnight and I'm buggered up for at least a couple of days.
Brilliant, that's exactly what I'm hoping for. Last time I was a wreck for 2-3 days - waking up at 2am wide awake and wanting to snack, falling asleep at 4pm, etc. We're at least already East Coast time now rather than 3 hours later on the West, so that should help too.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Brilliant, that's exactly what I'm hoping for. Last time I was a wreck for 2-3 days - waking up at 2am wide awake and wanting to snack, falling asleep at 4pm, etc. We're at least already East Coast time now rather than 3 hours later on the West, so that should help too.
What do you do when you arrive on overnight flight?

I admit I often feel like crap when I land, but I force myself to stay awake until as close to a normal bedtime as possible. The following morning I feel right-as-rain.

Generally people do better by stretching their days - postponing sleeping rather than what you're proposing - a day shortened by five hours then trying to go to bed five hours early. That can be a recipe for difficulty sleeping and getting enough sleep, causing extended disrupted sleep and fatigue.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that adjusting my meal times to the new time zone helps me adjust more quickly than the sleep adjustment.
The best experience was when I landed at 10 am and went straight to work. Being able to sleep on the plane helps.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I admit I often feel like crap when I land, but I force myself to stay awake until as close to a normal bedtime as possible. The following morning I feel right-as-rain.

Generally people do better by stretching their days - postponing sleeping rather than what you're proposing - a day shortened by five hours then trying to go to bed five hours early. That can be a recipe for difficulty sleeping and getting enough sleep, causing extended disrupted sleep and fatigue.
Same as you do - arrive at 7am or so feeling blah, then feel increasingly awful as the day goes on while I try to stay awake until something resembling bed time.

Then I wake up at 2am. Rinse and repeat for the next few days.

Hubby does the same as you; sleeps fine that first night then feels ok going forward.

It's 3.15am here, and just got up after 4 hours' sleep - I'm hoping I'll feel so knackered after this getting up early and the day's travel, that it'll be ok tonight sleeping what in US time would be something like 9pm-5am. I shall report back...
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I find that adjusting my meal times to the new time zone helps me adjust more quickly than the sleep adjustment.
The best experience was when I landed at 10 am and went straight to work. Being able to sleep on the plane helps.
I do that with one exception, coffee. I normally drink half a litre of strong, black coffee at 7am and that is the only coffee I drink all day. So when I fly to London overnight, I wait till noon (twenty four hours after 7am) and drink a large americano at costa or wherever. Then later I sleep like a log from about 7pm till 7am, make myself half a litre of strong, black coffee (Tesco Italian) and all is right with the world.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I've just woken up in London after a good night's sleep having done the day flight from Boston again yesterday. By the time I went to bed at midnight I'd been up for 15 hours, and falling asleep wasn't a problem. I always feel a little out of sorts as body-clock wise it's 2am now, but it's sunny outside, and after a strong cup of tea and a shower I feel ok. I swear by the BOS/JFK day flights having done them probably upwards of 50 times now.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 11:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I've just woken up in London after a good night's sleep having done the day flight from Boston again yesterday. By the time I went to bed at midnight I'd been up for 15 hours, ......
If that's midnight London time, how come you've been up for 15 hours?

If you got up at 5am EDT (11am BST), flew at 8am EDT (1pm BST), landed at 2pm EDT (7pm BST), and went to bed at 7pm BST (midnight BST), that's only 14 hours. ..... So you must have got up at 4am? No thanks! I'm too far south, so a daylight flight isn't an option anyway.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 6th 2016 at 1:05 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.