confused

Old May 17th 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

ASH99999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy confused

i am a uk citizen moved to new york 20 years ago, i am married with 3 children 10, 6 year old twins who are US citizens. my husband just lost his job and our savings is going down fast. i have no family here. my husband and i are slowly growing apart, he cant find a job and wants to move to another state, i am feeling so confused with what to do. i am really thinking of moving back home, with or without him. i am so worried about how my kids will adjust to life in the UK. i think we can have a better life in the UK, i have lots of family there which my kids have always missed out on. i have been walking around this last week in a daze feeling so very confused in what to do. even though i always feel homesick for england and my family i do love new york too. i so scared of moving back and wishing i stayed in the US. i am also thinking of getting dual citizenship so if i ever was thinking of coming back to the US i could. Also i drive here, would i need to redo the driving test over in the UK..
Old May 17th 2011, 2:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused

Originally Posted by ASH99999
i am a uk citizen moved to new york 20 years ago, i am married with 3 children 10, 6 year old twins who are US citizens. my husband just lost his job and our savings is going down fast. i have no family here. my husband and i are slowly growing apart, he cant find a job and wants to move to another state, i am feeling so confused with what to do. i am really thinking of moving back home, with or without him. i am so worried about how my kids will adjust to life in the UK. i think we can have a better life in the UK, i have lots of family there which my kids have always missed out on. i have been walking around this last week in a daze feeling so very confused in what to do. even though i always feel homesick for england and my family i do love new york too. i so scared of moving back and wishing i stayed in the US. i am also thinking of getting dual citizenship so if i ever was thinking of coming back to the US i could. Also i drive here, would i need to redo the driving test over in the UK..
Welcome to BE. I'm sorry to read about your situation...it must be a very stressful time for you. Before you go any further with your plans...do you realise you will need your husband's permission if you want to remove your children from the US to live in the UK?

Getting US citizenship is a very good idea especially as your children are USCs.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:58 am
Just Joined

ASH99999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE. I'm sorry to read about your situation...it must be a very stressful time for you. Before you go any further with your plans...do you realise you will need your husband's permission if you wanted to remove your children from the US to live in the UK?

Getting US citizenship is a very good idea especially as your children are USCs.
i know i would need his permission,
Old May 17th 2011, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i know i would need his permission,
Good...that's that taken care of.

Here is the link to the DVLA website...it doesn't look as if the UK and US have a reciprocal agreement.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive in the UK for one year before you must pass the written and driving tests in the UK. My son is doing it at the moment, he says it's not too bad. If you have been driving in and around NY I can't see why driving in UK would be a problem.
Is your Dh willing to give UK a try? If he's willing to move states then the upheaval isn't that much more to UK where you could both have some family support.
Edited to add, no ieda why I thought you were in NY Just ignore that bit LOL.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Get the US citizenship though, gives you a lot more options!

As for driving in the UK, if you had a license in the UK before moving to the US, you can just renew it, if you've never held a license in the UK, you'll have to take the test.