Concierge doctor

Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Concierge doctor

It seems my primary care doctor is moving to a concierge model. Basically deciding to dump 2/3 of her patients and getting the remaining 1/3 to cough up a few hundred a year to stay on the books. As far as I can work out she would still be taking insurance put plans to spend more time with each patient.

I'm dumping her, mainly because I cold never get a quick appointment to see her and the urgent care round the corner always gives me good service for those two times a year I need a doctor.

The FiL has a primary care doc who also seems to do this concierge service, charges an arm and a leg, says 'yes' all the time to what ever he wants and is a family friend. Bad combo in my opinion.

I don't know if she is "blaming Obamacare" but I wondered what other people thought.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concierge doctor

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I wondered what other people thought.
Bloody ridiculous - like everything else relating to health over here.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Bloody ridiculous - like everything else relating to health over here.
Some people want to drive a Mercedes, some are OK with a Ford, others make do with a used Chevy.

I am fine with the service provided by my family doctor, but I simply don't use enough medical services to make a concierge doctor attractive. And I would feel that way even if I doubled or trebled my income. However if you want to pay for a Mercedes level of service, I'm fine with that, but I'm not going to. I can afford more than a used Chevy, but I'm not going to pay for more than a Ford.

The funny thing is that, if anything, our family doctors' practice is going the opposite way to concierge services, opening into the early evening, on Saturdays, and even Sunday afternoons, presumably trying to tap into the "urgent healthcare" market that had led to several such clinics opening in the area.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 28th 2014 at 12:11 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's like having a lawyer on retainer...or a well tipped bartender.

I suppose it would be handy if you're sick often as they'll be more inclined to wing over and see you quickly, but you'd pay for the services...or you wait around for weeks on end.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

It seems my primary care doctor is moving to a concierge model. Basically deciding to dump 2/3 of her patients and getting the remaining 1/3 to cough up a few hundred a year to stay on the books. As far as I can work out she would still be taking insurance put plans to spend more time with each patient.

I'm dumping her, mainly because I cold never get a quick appointment to see her and the urgent care round the corner always gives me good service for those two times a year I need a doctor.

The FiL has a primary care doc who also seems to do this concierge service, charges an arm and a leg, says 'yes' all the time to what ever he wants and is a family friend. Bad combo in my opinion.

I don't know if she is "blaming Obamacare" but I wondered what other people thought.
I've never heard of this. What are they paying a few hundred bucks a year for if they have insurance?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of this either, and would not be inclined to see a doctor under this sort of arrangement. I don't need to pay a door fee and then still have a co-pay on top of it
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've never heard of this. What are they paying a few hundred bucks a year for if they have insurance?
Prompt service, same day appointments, longer consultations (an end to the "I'll be back in a moment" in-and-out consultations), home visits.

The concierge doctors aim to have only about ⅓ of the patients, but well heeled ones, and presumably, well heeled ones who use a lot of medical services!

Originally Posted by civilservant
...... I don't need to pay a door fee and then still have a co-pay on top of it.
I believe that they're aiming for patient-customers with income well into six figures.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 28th 2014 at 1:26 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Mine IS six figures

$1680.11
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:36 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I though this was odd , but a friend of mine does it for her family and swears by it.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:05 am

Mine IS six figures

$1680.11
And your point (".") is?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:17 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy the TV series "Royal Pains". http://www.usanetwork.com/royalpains...AlwaysOn_Shows

Different league, but essentially Health Insurance is the same thing, you pay, and if you get sick there is a Doctor there for you. Or am I mis-understanding!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by RICH
I enjoy the TV series "Royal Pains". http://www.usanetwork.com/royalpains...AlwaysOn_Shows

Different league, but essentially Health Insurance is the same thing, you pay, and if you get sick there is a Doctor there for you. Or am I mis-understanding!
No, insurance picks up (most of) the tab when you use the service. A concierge doctor gets a fee for "being available" whether or not you use the service at all, AND gets paid by insurance WHEN you use the service.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Mine IS six figures

$1680.11
Originally Posted by Pulaski
And your point (".") is?
Too far left?
CWT
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Prompt service, same day appointments, longer consultations (an end to the "I'll be back in a moment" in-and-out consultations), home visits.

The concierge doctors aim to have only about ⅓ of the patients, but well heeled ones, and presumably, well heeled ones who use a lot of medical services!

I believe that they're aiming for patient-customers with income well into six figures.
Counts me out then!

I'm satisfied with my own GP and my daughter's pediatrician. They provide ample time, we get in when we need to and I don't have to worry about anything but our horrible deductible...
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:12 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

I had a PCP in AZ that did this about eight years ago and moved out to Queen Creek as it was booming. Needless to say I dumped him and got a new PCP close to home. It certainly was not obamacare back then just more money for a lower patient load that he could spend more time with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.