Colorado Flooding

Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Colorado Flooding

I was just wondering how the floods were being covered elsewhere.

Where I am we are just soggy, English Summer Soggy.

But I used to live in Lyons, GC's go to school in Lyons, or did so. Not quite sure when their schools will be reopened.

We have had basically a years worth of rain in less than a week.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 5:46 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado Flooding

Getting quite extensive news coverage here in Portland. What's being shown looks devastating very sad for those in the path of the water.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of coverage here on the BBC, looks horrendous, hope any BE'rs around there are safe..
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:37 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

There's been a bit on the BBC and it's in the online news here in the UK. I've been following through friends on FB and the Daily Camera social media coverage and cotrip.org road conditions.

I lived in Boulder for 22 years and there have been a few occasions when the 100 year flood was anticipated. I'm certainly glad I haven't lost my home or possessions in the flood but I'm quite upset not to be there to help with clean up and with whatever is needed.

I talked to a friend who moved from Lyons on Monday! She'd lived there for 15-20 years and owns the Montessori preschool there. She thought the school hadn't been flooded but obviously no teachers can get in or out of town and it will be a while before they can. Her boyfriend lives in a cabin on the creek a few miles up the canon. He managed to get out and into town but doesn't know if his cabin is still there. Planet Bluegrass is a lake with only the roof of the stage above water.

I am amazed at the extent of the flooding. Everyone I know in Boulder has water in their basement at least. I guess McGuckins has a line out the door for sump pumps, shop vacs and shovels.

I'm interested to see what changes the flooding brings to the terrain - whether hiking trails will change route, rivers will forge a different path.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:56 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

It's been in the top few stories on TV's PBS NewsHour for the last few nights. Really frightening. (I'm worried because I have a relative moving out to CO next month.)

Last night the NewsHour showed clips of a man choking up and sobbing after being rescued from his flooded house. They also showed an anonymous person trying to wade in fast-moving floodwaters only a few inches deep, and he was immediately knocked off his feet. Then an official warned people NOT to enter the water because it was like "liquid cement", very dangerous and powerful.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 14th 2013 at 12:53 pm. Reason: Speeling!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I talked to a friend who moved from Lyons on Monday! She'd lived there for 15-20 years and owns the Montessori preschool there. She thought the school hadn't been flooded but obviously no teachers can get in or out of town and it will be a while before they can. Her boyfriend lives in a cabin on the creek a few miles up the canon. He managed to get out and into town but doesn't know if his cabin is still there. Planet Bluegrass is a lake with only the roof of the stage above water.
Not sure if it went up as high as the Montessori, the Elementary School was OK but that is higher still. I guess the Depot/Library has gone.

There was a fair amount of new build between the river and the High School, at the time I thought it was odd building on a flood plain, there was a reason for the old bit of town being where it was.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Really frightening. (I'm worried because I have a relative moving out to CO next month.)
We are talking of a lot less than 1% of the State. There is no 'safe' place. All a question of degree.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everyone's okay.

I believe there are quite a few Brits in the area.

Jim.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Woods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really nice

It's so sad to watch the residents lose everything...it seems like there's a new natural disaster every time you turn on the TV. Now the hurricane season is upon us, then in the spring it's always tornadoes in our part of the country. Makes me almost miss living on the 11th floor of a London towerblock. :-)
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:59 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

..... and more rain has cometh!

Alot of water had receded yesterday and clean up started but I think there is concern of more flooding today. To put it in another perspective, the amount of rain we've had since Thursday, it was said that if it were snow, it would be equivalent to about 100 inches of snow!!

Many pictures says it all.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/09...e-of-colorado/
http://www.9news.com/news/photo-gall...storyid=354821
this footage of a fire engine has been making its rounds on facebook.

I am willing to bet that many insurance companies are going to try to wiggle out of claims.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Flood?

Not covered unless you buy seperately. No wiggling.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

19,000 homes destroyed.

That makes the floods here look trivial.