Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Colonoscopy - piece of cake!

Colonoscopy - piece of cake!

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Colonoscopy - piece of cake!

just wanted to let anyone contemplating (or fearing!) having this procedure know that it's not a big deal. I had mine today (50th birthday present ).

Yesterday, no food or drink other than clear liquids, chicken broth, apple juice, etc (no milk, etc) - not as awful as it sounds once you get past the first (missed) meal (hunger peaked at lunchtime). Then at 5pm, I started drinking 'the liquid' - which is basically human drano, designed to flush your system. Many frequent visits to the 'head', but absolutely straight forward (and once you start drinking this stuff, your appetite goes away). The hardest part for me was getting through the entire batch of liquid ... as a skinny guy, I think the standard dose was a bit much; I got about 7/8ths of the way through the 4 liters and gave up around 11pm. The stuff tasked a bit like salt-water, but with some flavoring ... anyway, no worse than eating some people's cooking! Few trips to the bathroom through the night, nothing major (you are 'running clear' at this point ). Absolutely nothing like 'the runs' when you've eaten something bad.

The procedure itself is almost a non-event - get pampered by some nice nurses, get hooked up to an IV, get rolled into the procedure room, lie on your side, and - you can hardly feel a thing. I drifted off at some point, woke up in the 'recovery' room, absolutely no pain whatsoever 'down there'; only problem was I had a real bad 'cramp' in my stomach, apparently from some gas they pump into you ... a few 'expulsions' got that cleared up and I was on my way home. Bit drowsy for a few hours lying on the sofa (waiting for medications to wear off) but felt fit as a fiddle. By 6pm I'm raring to go out for a nice meal ! They apparently removed two polyps and took a biopsy, but still didn't feel a thing. Apparently it's not unusual to find a polyp or two, but it does mean I get to go through it again in 5 years!

I'm sharing this because there seems to be a lot of 'mystique' about it, and everyone looks at you as if you are going to get your head amputated when you tell them what you are going in for!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:20 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colonoscopy - piece of cake!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
just wanted to let anyone contemplating (or fearing!) having this procedure know that it's not a big deal. I had mine today (50th birthday present ).

Yesterday, no food or drink other than clear liquids, chicken broth, apple juice, etc (no milk, etc) - not as awful as it sounds once you get past the first (missed) meal (hunger peaked at lunchtime). Then at 5pm, I started drinking 'the liquid' - which is basically human drano, designed to flush your system. Many frequent visits to the 'head', but absolutely straight forward (and once you start drinking this stuff, your appetite goes away). The hardest part for me was getting through the entire batch of liquid ... as a skinny guy, I think the standard dose was a bit much; I got about 7/8ths of the way through the 4 liters and gave up around 11pm. The stuff tasked a bit like salt-water, but with some flavoring ... anyway, no worse than eating some people's cooking! Few trips to the bathroom through the night, nothing major (you are 'running clear' at this point ). Absolutely nothing like 'the runs' when you've eaten something bad.

The procedure itself is almost a non-event - get pampered by some nice nurses, get hooked up to an IV, get rolled into the procedure room, lie on your side, and - you can hardly feel a thing. I drifted off at some point, woke up in the 'recovery' room, absolutely no pain whatsoever 'down there'; only problem was I had a real bad 'cramp' in my stomach, apparently from some gas they pump into you ... a few 'expulsions' got that cleared up and I was on my way home. Bit drowsy for a few hours lying on the sofa (waiting for medications to wear off) but felt fit as a fiddle. By 6pm I'm raring to go out for a nice meal ! They apparently removed two polyps and took a biopsy, but still didn't feel a thing. Apparently it's not unusual to find a polyp or two, but it does mean I get to go through it again in 5 years!

I'm sharing this because there seems to be a lot of 'mystique' about it, and everyone looks at you as if you are going to get your head amputated when you tell them what you are going in for!
Thank you, DH goes in for first one his next week. I'll make sure he reads this,
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If I ever have to have one done I'm going to SF. Here in my area it is the doggie position and you don't get put out.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:24 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If I ever have to have one done I'm going to SF. Here in my area it is the doggie position and you don't get put out.
What???? I've never heard of that.

I had one done last year, and it was exactly like Steerpike described. Mine was clear. Hubby had a polyp. Drinking that stuff is the pits though.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
What???? I've never heard of that.

I had one done last year, and it was exactly like Steerpike described. Mine was clear. Hubby had a polyp. Drinking that stuff is the pits though.

I think it tastes like sweaty armpits would taste if you were to taste them (if you know what I mean)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was on my side and heavily sedated so I didn't feel, hear or see anything. When I awoke I had no side effects...no cramping...nothing. I was a little concerned because the drink didn't seem to have any effect until we got to the hospital. My husband had the same procedure the following year...had a few polyps removed and didn't experience cramping.

It really is nothing to worry about...a few months later I had a endoscopy...that was worse.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was on my side and heavily sedated so I didn't feel, hear or see anything. When I awoke I had no side effects...no cramping...nothing. I was a little concerned because the drink didn't seem to have any effect until we got to the hospital. My husband had the same procedure the following year...had a few polyps removed and didn't experience cramping.

It really is nothing to worry about...a few months later I had a endoscopy...that was worse.

I had both of mine done at the same time,topped and tailed!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I had both of mine done at the same time,topped and tailed!
I hope they didn't use the same tube.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya....FIL was bent over and walked funny for days after his piece of cake up in Maine
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:36 am
Account Closed

I hope they didn't use the same tube.

I am due to have them both done again but I'm putting it off until the new year if I can. Too many doctors and hospitals visited this year already with M. I need a break from it all
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:39 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Brilliant, really well written. and will be a comfort to others, pain in shown to be less when a person knows what is going to happen,, so you have done a service, to others, thank you.
in the UK we use something called picolax or liquid dynamite! to clear the system, poss the same stuff in the US . hope you get the big thumbs up after the procedure, much worse getting it during

Last edited by Rete; Oct 23rd 2009 at 3:08 pm. Reason: fixed your quote marks luv
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, I had 4 endoscopies done in the space of a month last year, 3 of them within the same week! It was not exactly fun.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

SF has all the experts
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I had 3 done in NYC, never been "OUT", in fact watched it on the screen. When I tell people that in Florida, they think I am making it up.

First time, "Go lytely", mix powder with water & some orangeade powder, disgusting. 2nd & 3rd much easier "Fleets". Of course they have now banned the Fleets, so back to the 8pints of salt.
Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Oct 23rd 2009 at 5:33 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:15 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine done here in NYC five years ago. Even though I am alot younger than 50 there is a lot of colon cancer in my family.Both my parents have had polyps and my grandmother , aunt and cousin all had colon cancer. I agree the fleet is awful to drink. I was put on my side given an IV and also was able to watch it onscreen although I was pretty much in lala land and didn't really know what was going on. They found a polyp but it was benign. I am due to go again but I can't remember the name of the doctor I went to see I just have to find another! I remember he was a nice Japanese man on East 79th street here in Manhattan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.