Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Coffee and coffee machines

Coffee and coffee machines

Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coffee and coffee machines

I love a good coffee but hate paying to go to Starbucks...

Just curious what kind of coffee machines y'all use at home?

I have had two Keurig's (K cup not the newer one) but aren't that fond of them and have currently reverted to using a French Press.

Been looking for a new coffee machine for about a year but I just can't bring myself to spend a lot of money on one. We have a Jura in the office (very nice it is too) but it's stupid money.

Would like to hear people's thoughts on what they use as at the moment I think I may just end up sticking with the good ol' French Press!

I can recommend the Nespresso Aeroccino for frothing milk though. It's very good. My sister bought me one for Christmas and I use it every day.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coffee and coffee machines

Oh, and I love the fact that at my local HEB they have a ton of different beans available and grinding machines so you can buy the beans you want and grind them how you want.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I only drink tea so I'm of no help. I just felt bad you had no replies yet.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I only drink tea so I'm of no help. I just felt bad you had no replies yet.
Thanks! It's alright though, I'm quite used to being ignored.

Must admit I don't drink a whole lot of tea but back in Blighty recently I started getting a real urge to drink it again so I've been drinking a lot more recently. Good job I have a proper kettle to brew a cuppa with. Can't beat PG Tips!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks! It's alright though, I'm quite used to being ignored.

Must admit I don't drink a whole lot of tea but back in Blighty recently I started getting a real urge to drink it again so I've been drinking a lot more recently. Good job I have a proper kettle to brew a cuppa with. Can't beat PG Tips!
I used to drink coffee ages ago but all it does for me is stain my teeth and make me piss endlessly so I knocked it on the head, around the same time I quit smoking.

Tea though, I could drink only that for the rest of my life and be quite happy. I manage to make do with the Tetley British Blend and a stovetop kettle though
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid my advise might be too pricy cuz I am a wee bit obsessed with coffee.

I have a french press - which I love - but only use on the weekends with my super duper kona 100% peaberry coffee (very expensive beans and would not recommend unless you are a real coffee guru).

Next I had to replace my trusty daily morning coffee maker - I had the Cuisinart Automatic Brew with grinder for years - bought it at Costco. Then it dies. So I bought another at Bed, Bath and Beyond and it broke within a week. Took it back, replaced it, started leaking after another week. Soooo, my friend used to work at Williams and Sonoma & got a discount so I ended up buying this: Breville YouBrew Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe - about 300.00 - It's good - strong coffee and very easy to just set and use. I buy my coffee beans at Costco -Starbucks. Will still save you a ton in the long run though. BUT if you can find the Cuisinart - that's a good machine.

Then, erm, I have the Breville Espresso/Cappucino Maker - I like my latte's sometimes and this works well although very loud.

And of course, the Alessi Espresso machine.

All coffee makers accumulated over many years and many "what the hell did you buy now" looks from OH.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:42 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I just went through that before deciding on one for Christmas. I can't for the life of me remember the model right now (I've been drinking my way around Epcot today). You can come around and give it a go it you want. I also remember Sonoma Williams at Town and Country had a bunch set up so you could try.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I just felt bad you had no replies yet.
+1

Mr. Coffee
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:43 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Or Williams Sonoma. Whatever. I refer you to the bit about drinking.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:44 pm
The worse half of Weeze

http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-barista-expresstm.html

That's the bugger
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Cuisinart 12 cup Grind & Brew and have been using it for about 3 years. I love that you get fresh ground coffee every time and can be put on timer (although the grinding is a wee bit noisy). It supposedly makes 12 cups but they would be very small cups, I think we get 6 mugs. We only bother at the weekend though, I would use a one cup machine but hubby doesn't think they make the coffee hot enough. We had a Tassimo back home and I loved it.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Yes! That's the one I have. Very loud though. You can get it at BBB with 20% off coupon...
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I don't go in for all that frothy, latte codswallop.

I have a Kenwood 10 Cup thingy, at home, which I have never used to full capacity. Mrs. Express doesn't drink Coffee...neither do our two Cats.

Jim.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have a cheap 12 cup drip coffee pot. We rarely use it, I make one cup a day of folgers instant with milk and drink tetley british blend tea all day.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot about a grinder. I got this one for Christmas since my old one broke. I like it a lot. It does a good job of grinding, is a great price for what it is and should be just fine for French press and drip coffee. I don't have a proper espresso machine but reviews say that it may not grind very fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.