Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Close encounter with a rattlesnake

Close encounter with a rattlesnake

Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Close encounter with a rattlesnake

We just returned from having spent memorial day weekend at my trailer in upstate New York. It's a semi permanent campsite, we set up the trailer for the season in spring and close it up in the fall, and we have been going there for about 25 years now. But I digress.

Anyway, I was standing right next to my woodpile, when my wife yells: "There is a snake in the wood!!" I turned around expecting a little garter snake or something, which are very common on the campsite. Instead I see a 3-4 foot grayish brown rattlesnake slithering across the top of the woodpile. It was within striking distance of me, but was not coiled up. Don't know what kind it was, but the rattles on the tail was clearly visible. I was not about to remain close for a more thorough investigation, though. These things can kill you if a bite is not swiftly treated.

So, I got the heck away from the woodpile, and grabbed a shovel for protection while watching which direction the thing decided to go. The campsite owner's son happened to be on my site at the time, also. Since the snake had not registered when entering the campsite as all guests are required to do, it was considered EWI - and he performed an expedited removal. I am not sure what kind of ban the snake ended up with, but at any rate this was one time I was happy to see quick removal proceedings with no appeals available. It was a little too close to comfort. It's the first time in 25 years I have seen a rattler in the campsite, so I hope there isn't a qualifying relative for a waiver. Good riddance, I say.

Did a little searching on the Internet afterwards, and found out that it most likely was a Timber rattler, as they apparently are common in New York state.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:49 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Close encounter with a rattlesnake

ugggggg shuddddddddddddddddddddddderrrrrrr!!!

Pleased your wife was looking out for you
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Shudder!
I ran a rattle snake over the other day, it was crossing the road. Must have been about 4 feet long.
We usually chop the head off and bury it, stops the meat bees eating it and passing on the venom so I was told. We have a lot snakes and bees around here
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:21 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell do you get close enough to chop its head off without being in striking distance?
And what do you use? A spade? Machete?

If you or your husband have ever done this, you must need a wheelbarrow to lug those brass ones around in.

In a snake situation, I'd be wanting a 12 gauge 00 buckshot. Gives you a bit of distance too.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:41 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
How the hell do you get close enough to chop its head off without being in striking distance?
When the snake is dead.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:54 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Shudder!
We have a lot snakes and bees around here
Really????????? where are you?

Note to self: Avoid everywhere except this side of the Cascades!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Found a 3 foot rattler dead in our pool a couple of weeks ago
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
We just returned from having spent memorial day weekend at my trailer in upstate New York. It's a semi permanent campsite, we set up the trailer for the season in spring and close it up in the fall, and we have been going there for about 25 years now. But I digress.

Anyway, I was standing right next to my woodpile, when my wife yells: "There is a snake in the wood!!" I turned around expecting a little garter snake or something, which are very common on the campsite. Instead I see a 3-4 foot grayish brown rattlesnake slithering across the top of the woodpile. It was within striking distance of me, but was not coiled up. Don't know what kind it was, but the rattles on the tail was clearly visible. I was not about to remain close for a more thorough investigation, though. These things can kill you if a bite is not swiftly treated.

So, I got the heck away from the woodpile, and grabbed a shovel for protection while watching which direction the thing decided to go. The campsite owner's son happened to be on my site at the time, also. Since the snake had not registered when entering the campsite as all guests are required to do, it was considered EWI - and he performed an expedited removal. I am not sure what kind of ban the snake ended up with, but at any rate this was one time I was happy to see quick removal proceedings with no appeals available. It was a little too close to comfort. It's the first time in 25 years I have seen a rattler in the campsite, so I hope there isn't a qualifying relative for a waiver. Good riddance, I say.

Did a little searching on the Internet afterwards, and found out that it most likely was a Timber rattler, as they apparently are common in New York state.
Was it a diamondback? We have them in Morris County.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 1st 2010 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:10 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you weren't bitten!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Was it a diamondback? We have them in Morris County.
It could have been, but I think it's more likely that it was a Timber Rattlesnake. I wasn't about to go for a close examination.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gingerert

Glad you weren't bitten!
Thanks, so am I!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Last week when I was in the back yard cutting the lawn, I stopped for a quick rest and sat on one of our outdoor chairs. A bit later I saw a spider web and some egg sacs underneath the chair. Upon investigating, I saw that the web was home to a black widow and 6 egg sacs
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I hope ABY figures out how WIFI works soon, he'd be right at home in this thread.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking

They have them in the woods in central VT as well. Loggers are thrilled.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
Last week when I was in the back yard cutting the lawn, I stopped for a quick rest and sat on one of our outdoor chairs. A bit later I saw a spider web and some egg sacs underneath the chair. Upon investigating, I saw that the web was home to a black widow and 6 egg sacs
Good job she didn't bite your bum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.