Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Chicago vs Florida Shootings

Chicago vs Florida Shootings

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Martinsb will become famous soon enoughMartinsb will become famous soon enough
Default Chicago vs Florida Shootings

While the shooting of Trayvon Martin was, obviously, a terrible loss of a young life, surely the story would be overshadowed by the Chicago shootings this weekend?

In Chicago between 5pm Friday and 6am Monday 49 people were shot, ten of them fatally, including an innocent six year old girl. I find it vaguely unsettling that there is an instant call for justice from Rev. Al Sharpton etc. marches in New York and Miami and a huge media hullaballoo but virtually nothing about 49 shootings in Chicago!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago vs Florida Shootings

I'd not heard about the Chicago shootings until I saw this post. Surely the point about the Florida incident is that the shooter still has his gun permit and has not been charged with a crime because he says he shot in self defense, which brings into question any fatal shooting where there is no witness....
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just been discussing this (or similar).
We were talking about the comparative lack of attention that black on black shootings get, that this boy may have to fear from gun crime whatever neighbourhood he is in.
I agree with Robin, in Florida, he still has his gun, even with the law allowing self-defence, it seems ludicrous that it can be used as defence for shooting an unarmed boy who you are following, armed, against police (or dispatcher) direction.

With two armed individuals in a shoot out, there would seem to be no law violated as they would both fear for their lives. I am guessing in Chicago all the shootings would be considered crimes, is that true?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd not heard about the Chicago shootings until I saw this post. Surely the point about the Florida incident is that the shooter still has his gun permit and has not been charged with a crime because he says he shot in self defense, which brings into question any fatal shooting where there is no witness....
It is the scale of the Chicago shootings in comparison to a single incident in Florida that shocked me. Additionally I always get a sinking feeling when I see Sharpton involved, any incident develops racial overtones whether there are any or not. The whole media attitude and the bias therein “10 dead in Chicago …. now sports” is depressing!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martinsb
The whole media attitude and the bias therein
Can you elaborate?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It is the scale of the Chicago shootings in comparison to a single incident in Florida that shocked me. Additionally I always get a sinking feeling when I see Sharpton involved, any incident develops racial overtones whether there are any or not. The whole media attitude and the bias therein “10 dead in Chicago …. now sports” is depressing!
Surely the incidents in Chicago are just business as usual.. the US has a very high incidence of death as a result of criminal violence with guns involved.. whereas the Florida incident stands out as a matter of principle, because (up till recently anyway) the police do not want to charge the perpetrator with a crime, because of the whole "stand your ground," "self-defence" aspect to it. The governor of Florida has gone as far as admitting that the law may need to be changed. No issues like that arise in the Chicago case, just a question of law-enforcement.

Yes there is a racial aspect to the FL case, apparently Al Sharpton is involved.. but so what.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

While the shooting of Trayvon Martin was, obviously, a terrible loss of a young life, surely the story would be overshadowed by the Chicago shootings this weekend?

In Chicago between 5pm Friday and 6am Monday 49 people were shot, ten of them fatally, including an innocent six year old girl. I find it vaguely unsettling that there is an instant call for justice from Rev. Al Sharpton etc. marches in New York and Miami and a huge media hullaballoo but virtually nothing about 49 shootings in Chicago!
It's the police cover up that is causing the "hullaballoo".

Re: the 49 people shot in Chicago over the weekend. In how many of those cases did the police have the shooter in their custody and then sent him home ... with his 9mm?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Sharpton, yes he's an ass, is involved because of the racial overtones but he's not the one that caused them.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the incidents in Chicago are just business as usual..
Without beating about the bush too mush - they pretty much are.

Terrible news at any time, in any city, in any country, but the Chicago news headlines are no strangers to fatal shootings of late
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Surely the incidents in Chicago are just business as usual.. the US has a very high incidence of death as a result of criminal violence with guns involved.. whereas the Florida incident stands out as a matter of principle, because (up till recently anyway) the police do not want to charge the perpetrator with a crime, because of the whole "stand your ground," "self-defence" aspect to it. The governor of Florida has gone as far as admitting that the law may need to be changed. No issues like that arise in the Chicago case, just a question of law-enforcement.

Yes there is a racial aspect to the FL case, apparently Al Sharpton is involved.. but so what.
Because it could have just as easily have been a 'young' white, latino etc. in a hoody walking through this guys residential neighborhood, the outcome could just have easily been the same. Sometimes age is the issue, feral youths can come in all shapes, sizes, sexes and colours. As a Realtor here in Dallas I have been in some 'interesting' areas regardless of demographics!

The colour of the young lads skin may or may not be relevant in this instance, however Sharpton, who by virtue of his usual inflammatory remarks, ensures that the media spotlight swings to Florida. Surely one would have thought that the issue requiring a more pressing resolution, or at least deserving equal air time and investigation is that of the Chicago residents suffering?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:18 pm
WTF?

Because it could have just as easily have been a 'young' white, latino etc. in a hoody walking through this guys residential neighborhood, the outcome could just have easily been the same. Sometimes age is the issue, feral youths can come in all shapes, sizes, sexes and colours. As a Realtor here in Dallas I have been in some 'interesting' areas regardless of demographics!

The colour of the young lads skin may or may not be relevant in this instance, however Sharpton, who by virtue of his usual inflammatory remarks, ensures that the media spotlight swings to Florida. Surely one would have thought that the issue requiring a more pressing resolution, or at least deserving equal air time and investigation is that of the Chicago residents suffering?
What part of POLICE COVER UP don't you understand?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It gets plenty of coverage. In Chicago.

I don't mean to be overly cynical but shootings in Chicago are commonplace enough to not always warrant national coverage.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It gets plenty of coverage. In Chicago.

I don't mean to be overly cynical but shootings in Chicago are commonplace enough to not always warrant national coverage.
That was something that took a bit of getting used to when I moved to the US... in the UK, ALL murders make national headlines, even if a pretty minor headline if it's a routine murder. Here, murders barely make a LOCAL headline - never mind a regional or national one - unless there is something to make them stand out from the crowd.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What part of POLICE COVER UP don't you understand?
Police cover up? No one mentioned the police, it was purely a dialog on scale and what is or isn't deemed news worthy.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

That was something that took a bit of getting used to when I moved to the US... in the UK, ALL murders make national headlines, even if a pretty minor headline if it's a routine murder. Here, murders barely make a LOCAL headline - never mind a regional or national one - unless there is something to make them stand out from the crowd.
Coming from Northern Ireland, and growing up in the 1980s with the news being standard TV fare at dinner time - hearing about murders on the telly doesn't really even register with me any more.

That's awful, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.