British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Charlie Hebdo shooting in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/charlie-hebdo-shooting-france-850230/)

Pulaski Jan 10th 2015 12:27 am

Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11528424)
People in the modern world have to decide what of their culture and values is important to them, and compromise- or not, and find somewhere else to live. And stop travelling to get rich or free healthcare or whatever then deciding they can't stomach the basics of the culture they chose to live in. Can't have it all ways!

But if anyone is advocating street violence and murder ( and let's face it in many places- rape ) as an alternative to democracy and rule of law, my personal opinion is yes, that's a bad idea for a culture, mine is better.

I agree, but the message in most western countries to immigrants from different cultures is almost entirely a mix of "we are tolerant of your culture", and "it's OK to be different", and virtually none of "we don't do that here, it's not acceptable".

Much of the problems (relatively rare though they are) over the past ten years or so appears to be with second generation immigrants who came to the West with their parents, or were born here, and so weren't part of the decision to pursue a better income, healthcare, etc. But despite growing up in a western country they have been allowed to grow up in an alien culture, and somehow have turned that into a homicidal hatred for the culture of the country in which they live.

OnwardandUpward Jan 10th 2015 2:43 am

'Much of the problems (relatively rare though they are) over the past ten years or so appears to be with second generation immigrants who came to the West with their parents, or were born here, and so weren't part of the decision to pursue a better income, healthcare, etc. But despite growing up in a western country they have been allowed to grow up in an alien culture, and somehow have turned that into a homicidal hatred for the culture of the country in which they live. '

yes, it's probably a handful of psychopaths who have no idea the struggle many Muslims ( and others ) have had to get out of the very conditions they now seek to impose on others.

The Boston marathon bombing there were people financially supporting those young men from overseas ( and here ) so they could have a good life and if I remember rightly they had never even visited the country they decided to act out on behalf of.

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 10th 2015 3:31 am

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11528424)
France is maybe just the wrong place to live for a radical Muslim, it's never going to be a good fit.

The people who suffer most from radical Muslims are other Muslims who are caught up in their civil war.

Just a few weeks ago, the Taliban killed over 140 people in Peshawar -- most of the dead were kids. You're under the impression that the parents of those kids think that bombing their school was a "good fit"?

Hotscot Jan 10th 2015 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11528550)
But despite growing up in a western country they have been allowed to grow up in an alien culture, and somehow have turned that into a homicidal hatred for the culture of the country in which they live.

Very good point.

Mrs Hotscot and I often discuss the irony that the freedoms in the West allow for the expression of sentiments by extremists that are the antithesis of the very society in which they exist.

A cancer...

OnwardandUpward Jan 10th 2015 5:40 am

'You're under the impression that the parents of those kids think that bombing their school was a "good fit"? '

People have fled halfway across the world to find ignorant extremists now trying to take away their freedom in a free country. Let those who would support the extremists go to where there is rule of violence, let people who want a free society live in France. Is what I said.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2015 5:48 am

None of this was unforeseeable.

Navel gazing is all well and good but the future is of more concern.

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 10th 2015 5:53 am

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11528730)
Let those who would support the extremists go to where there is rule of violence, let people who want a free society live in France. Is what I said.

I know what you said, and it was ridiculous. The average person in Pakistan doesn't want to have his children blown up.

What you have done is stereotype entire nations and religions based upon the actions of a few people. That's intellectually lazy at best and bigoted at worst.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2015 6:05 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11528743)
I know what you said, and it was ridiculous. The average person in Pakistan doesn't want to have his children blown up.

What you have done is stereotype entire nations and religions based upon the actions of a few people. That's intellectually lazy at best and bigoted at worst.

That would certainly be a valid comment if there was a disparity between countries.

Surely the more interesting issue is the degree of commonality.

petitefrancaise Jan 10th 2015 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11528737)
None of this was unforeseeable.

Navel gazing is all well and good but the future is of more concern.

Quite.

Hotscot Jan 10th 2015 6:45 am

1. How do we identify society's antithetical extremists?

2. How do we eradicate them?

Rinse, repeat.

Any alternatives?

(Not saying it's easy.)

RoadWarriorFromLP Jan 10th 2015 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11528753)
Surely the more interesting issue is the degree of commonality.

This desire to lump disparate individuals together into one big nasty Other has much in common with racism (which isn't a coincidence, since that's exactly what it is.)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2015 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11528743)

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11528790)
1. How do we identify society's antithetical extremists?

2. How do we eradicate them?

Rinse, repeat.

Any alternatives?

(Not saying it's easy.)

Not possible either, would be racist.

Hotscot Jan 10th 2015 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11528795)
Not possible either, would be racist.

At least, it would be labelled as such...then we're back to square one.

(Are there any 'gentle' cancer treatments?)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2015 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11528801)

That would be a no as well, my guess there will however be a lot of talk about solidarity.

This one was in France, could have been in any other Western Country.

Until the next time and no doubt another similar thread.

Pulaski Jan 10th 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11528801)

Given the cultural sub-group that the cancer is embedded in, either that sub-group needs to find an effective way of dealing with the cancer, specifically identifying the individuals and reporting them to the authorities, or we face an unpleasant downward spiral towards inter-racial conflict and people being drawn to ever-more extreme political groups.