Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cashing a UK cheque.

Cashing a UK cheque.

Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:01 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cashing a UK cheque.

I don't have a problem cashing cheques as I kept my UK bank account open but my teenage daughter has no account and has money in National Savings which they will only let her have as a UK cheque in pounds.

Any idea how she might cash this?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing a UK cheque.

Originally Posted by g1ant
I don't have a problem cashing cheques as I kept my UK bank account open but my teenage daughter has no account and has money in National Savings which they will only let her have as a UK cheque in pounds.

Pay her cheque into your UK account and give her the equivalent in cash?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:12 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Pay her cheque into your UK account and give her the equivalent in cash?
I didn't think you were allowed to countersign cheques and pay into different accounts. I'm guessing the cheque from National Savings will be stamped A/C Payee only.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think you were allowed to countersign cheques and pay into different accounts. I'm guessing the cheque from National Savings will be stamped A/C Payee only.
I thought as long as it had your daughter's signature on the back it would be OK. Contact your UK bank and ask them.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I had a cheque from the inland revenue in the UK sengt to me in the US and I cashed it with USbank they charged me to do so and I had to wait 2 weeks for it to clear but even so its a thought hey!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:39 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with my bank before I left, they said I can just mail them the check along with a note saying which account to pay it into. I've done it several times with no problems.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I checked with my bank before I left, they said I can just mail them the check along with a note saying which account to pay it into. I've done it several times with no problems.
Yes, this is possible, but being paranoid and having prior experience of check theft and fraud (to the tune of two checks worth $1,500), I'd make a photocopy of the check and paying in slip before sending.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:44 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about them only issuing a cheque? I had dealings with them recently and they were happy and able to deposit the money directly into a UK bank account. I'd double check (no pun intended) with them if that is possible.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Are you sure about them only issuing a cheque? I had dealings with them recently and they were happy and able to deposit the money directly into a UK bank account. I'd double check (no pun intended) with them if that is possible.
The OP's daughter doesn't have a UK bank account...that's the problem.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:54 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the OP's bank will allow them to mail it in, have it cashed and then immediately pay into the OP's account.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Could she sign/endorse the back and you pay it into your US bank account and then you give her US $? I deposited a UK cheque in my Chase account on New Years Eve, no fee to pay ( I think the rate was £1 - $1.49) and the money was available to withdraw the next day
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:22 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP's daughter doesn't have a UK bank account...that's the problem.
May not be a problem. The form I completed asked for full details of an account for the balance to be paid into. I don't recall any stipulation as to the name on the account. As long as the right signature was on the authorization it could be any account. OP should check exactly what it says on the repayment / withdrawal request form re. the bank account details.

Just checked the online repayment form for Premium Bonds - it was the easiest to find as I've no idea which form the OP will need - and that simply asks for the bank account details. Nowhere does it state that the account has to be in your name. Worth a try?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The crossing 'Account Payee Only' is an instruction from the issuer of the cheque to the accepting bank to only accept the cheque for payment into an account in the name of the payee (and to only pay it in, not exchange for cash).

That said, this marking does not compel the accepting bank to do so, in practice it just removes all protection from them if they accept the transaction and then it turns out to be fraudulent in some way.

Now, UK banks do not expect the majority of their branch staff to be conversant in banking law, so instead they adopt a set of procedures for staff to follow that manages their legal risk to an acceptable level when applied on a large bank-wide scale. This is particularly true of cheque-handling. It would therefore not surprise me at all if different UK banks had different procedures for this type of situation - possibly some allowing the transaction and some not, and some allowing it dependent on other factors, e.g. amount of the cheque, length of banking relationship with the account holder and/or a 'behavioural score', ID provided by the payee of the cheque etc.

As others have said - ask your bank. Even if you get the answer you don't want then you could try sending it in anyway to see if they spot it!