British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The Caravan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/caravan-918841/)

Shard Oct 30th 2018 8:32 pm

The Caravan

I know this is the Trailer Park, but let's talk caravans. Central American caravans. Not sure what to think on this. Obviously Trump is leveraging this for political advantage, but it does raise big questions on economic migration. Troops at the border sounds ominous, but on the other hand, it's potentially quite a dramatic flouting of a border.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 30th 2018 9:00 pm

Re: The Caravan

So nothing to do with the Group? Now that goes back a few years.

BEVS Oct 30th 2018 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12585499)

Oddly. I still have the LP 'In the land of grey and pink' .

Apologies Shard.

Definately

:focus:

kimilseung Oct 30th 2018 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12585489)
, but on the other hand, it's potentially quite a dramatic flouting of a border.

more than average numbers to process, but I see no evidence of "flouting".

Shard Oct 30th 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12585530)
more than average numbers to process, but I see no evidence of "flouting".

One news report tonight suggested that about 10% have valid asylum claims, but noted the system will struggle to process the large numbers that present.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 31st 2018 1:46 am

I wonder what percentage of the US population could claim asylum?

BritInParis Oct 31st 2018 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12585590)
I wonder what percentage of the US population could claim asylum?

Depends if their name is Edward Snowden or not.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 31st 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12585647)
Depends if their name is Edward Snowden or not.

Or live in LA.

Etc.

Hiro11 Oct 31st 2018 8:41 pm

Overall, this seems like a classic October surprise. The politics of this are exasperating on all sides:
1. The "refugee" status claimed by some in the caravan is dubious if not downright false. Certainly the fact that they've passed through other countries already makes it clear that the US is the destination. Mexico has already offered many of then asylum, which was promptly rejected. That's hardly the behavior of a refugee, its the behavior of an economic migrant who wants to move to the US. These are different things.
2. The background of the caravan is suspicious. Pence's claim of "outside funding" is unproven but I don't think it can be rejected out of hand (as the media seems desperate to do). The caravan was clearly started by Honduran political activists and carries a clear political motive. Portraying this as a simple case of people looking for a better life (as the media has strained to do) is disingenuous.
3. Trump seizing on this as a sign of the "danger" of immigrants is ridiculous. Obviously this riles up his base but I don't think most Americans buy this line. The caravan is, in my mind, a political stunt. That's it. Sending troops to the border is beyond absurd, it's a both a terrible waste and needless escalation.

I'm so tired of childish, oversimplified Tweet-war politics like this. Can we please get some adults in government and the media. Please.

BEVS Oct 31st 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 12585898)

I'm so tired of childish, oversimplified Tweet-war politics like this. Can we please get some adults in government and the media. Please.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 31st 2018 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12585499)

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12585501)
Oddly. I still have the LP 'In the land of grey and pink' .

Apologies Shard.

Definately

:focus:

I no hijack this thread, honest, but I have and listen to that album, also 'For girls who grow plump in the night'.

Canterbury band, peaked when I was living 20 miles off In Ashford, saw them a few times.

I have another album, buggered if I can remember what it's title is... all together now "it's in a box somewhere".

Sorry. Get :focus:

Octang Frye Oct 31st 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 12585898)
Overall, this seems like a classic October surprise. The politics of this are exasperating on all sides:
1. The "refugee" status claimed by some in the caravan is dubious if not downright false. Certainly the fact that they've passed through other countries already makes it clear that the US is the destination. Mexico has already offered many of then asylum, which was promptly rejected. That's hardly the behavior of a refugee, its the behavior of an economic migrant who wants to move to the US. These are different things.
2. The background of the caravan is suspicious. Pence's claim of "outside funding" is unproven but I don't think it can be rejected out of hand (as the media seems desperate to do). The caravan was clearly started by Honduran political activists and carries a clear political motive. Portraying this as a simple case of people looking for a better life (as the media has strained to do) is disingenuous.
3. Trump seizing on this as a sign of the "danger" of immigrants is ridiculous. Obviously this riles up his base but I don't think most Americans buy this line. The caravan is, in my mind, a political stunt. That's it. Sending troops to the border is beyond absurd, it's a both a terrible waste and needless escalation.

You are right about the origins of the caravan having a political motive. Also, consider the number of people involved. If they were just traveling alone, they'd be in a pickle really quickly, in terms of food and water.
Mexico is a poor country. Someone is paying for the food stations and the (on their way) buses.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 31st 2018 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12585924)
You are right about the origins of the caravan having a political motive. Also, consider the number of people involved. If they were just traveling alone, they'd be in a pickle really quickly, in terms of food and water.
Mexico is a poor country. Someone is paying for the food stations and the (on their way) buses.

I hear you about the origins being political, but doesn't this in the end come down to economic migration?

I have little knowledge on this and would welcome more insight. :fingerscrossed:

Octang Frye Oct 31st 2018 10:06 pm

Someone mentioned the October surprise. What happened to the 700 refugees captured by ISIS - including US and European nationals? ISIS threatening to execute 10 a day.
Maybe this is another midterm surprise. If Trump sends in a successful special ops mission and it's a success. Or a huge Carter-esque disaster.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 31st 2018 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12585955)
...If Trump sends in a successful special ops mission and it's a success...

Don't honestly see that given global interest.

There again, the guy is such a git, why not try it?

Non, mais franchement.