Car Insurance Query

Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance Query

Hi,

My wife was rear-ended last week while stationary, so not at fault. The damage to her car was minimal (looks like a respray job on her rear 'fender') so what is the best way to go about this?

Is it better to go through the insurance, and pay her deductible - as in the UK, is it possible to claim the deductible back from the other party?

Or is it better to approach the other party with a quote for repair and suggest not involving the insurance party (as this may save money all round, assuming the other party has their own deductible to pay anyway)?

Thoughts? I know how this works in the UK but not sure if it works the same way in the US.

Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Query

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Hi,

My wife was rear-ended last week while stationary, so not at fault. The damage to her car was minimal (looks like a respray job on her rear 'fender') so what is the best way to go about this?

Is it better to go through the insurance, and pay her deductible - as in the UK, is it possible to claim the deductible back from the other party?

Or is it better to approach the other party with a quote for repair and suggest not involving the insurance party (as this may save money all round, assuming the other party has their own deductible to pay anyway)?

Thoughts? I know how this works in the UK but not sure if it works the same way in the US.

Thanks.
Normally you want to collect from the other party since that will have no effect on your insurance. The other party should be required to have liability insurance which should be $0 deductible and completely pay for the repairs.

She should have gotten the other parties insurance company and policy number at the time of the accident and then just submit that to your insurance company and since it is a rear ender, it's 99% certain that fault will be accessed against the other party and it shouldn't cost you anything or any increase in your premiums.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

From memory a 'no fault' accident is dealt with like that in the UK as well and only involves the offending parties insurance co.

Thanks for the reply
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

From memory a 'no fault' accident is dealt with like that in the UK as well and only involves the offending parties insurance co.

Thanks for the reply
If PA is a "No Fault" State as far as accident claims, as we are in Oregon, it means each drivers insurance pays for their own repairs. If that is so it doesn't matter if the other driver was rear ended you, your insurance still covers your repairs.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lansbury
If PA is a "No Fault" State as far as accident claims, as we are in Oregon, it means each drivers insurance pays for their own repairs. If that is so it doesn't matter if the other driver was rear ended you, your insurance still covers your repairs.
But we are in PA
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lol, caught you before the edit
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or did I? Now I am thinking I just might have misread it!! I hate Mondays
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Or did I? Now I am thinking I just might have misread it!! I hate Mondays
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyway, my wife spoke to her insurers who said she had the choice of going through them or approaching the other parties insurer directly.

It seems that PA has a 'modified no fault' policy, which is great as it just adds to my confusion over the issue
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that PA has a 'modified no fault' policy, which is great as it just adds to my confusion over the issue
Down my way, it means your insurance covers you in accident as if you were at fault, unless it's a rear ender....oh err