Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Wikiposts

Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Old Apr 11th 2016, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually you don't have to register for any party. Registration only allows you to vote for your party's various candidates in a primary. They will hound you because they want to increase the numbers on their political tally board. The registration as a Rep/Dem/Cons/Liberal means nothing when you are voting in the general elections. You can vote for any candidate inside or outside of your registered preference. For over 50 years, I held no party affiliation.
I registered for the majority party in my State. This is a democratic safe seat , so if you want atleast some say in who wins, you have to register as a democrat.
There was an immigration website that gave some logic on how to register, but can't remember what it was.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Originally Posted by mrken30
I registered for the majority party in my State. This is a democratic safe seat , so if you want atleast some say in who wins, you have to register as a democrat.
There was an immigration website that gave some logic on how to register, but can't remember what it was.
In NC primaries are voted on by registered members of the party, PLUS independents, I believe this is fairly common, though not true in every state. I think they call them "open primaries".

Once I realized the significance of this I gave up my party affiliation to give me more options in the primary elections. I suspect that this reason is behind the oft-reported increase in the number of independents, not some general disaffection with any particular political party.