Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Can anyone explain US parties (political)

Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can anyone explain US parties (political)

I get how the parties in the UK work, I was a Labour member for much of my time, but I think I have brought over much of that understanding, and now I am not sure it is an exact match.

In the US people talk about membership, just by indicating voter preference for primaries, so clearly, party membership doesnt mean the same thing.

So what about card carrying membership? Membership seems to be state and national (to a committee) but done by donation. No set fee, no membership no application, no acceptance. Just pay a donation of your choosing and you are in. Can people be booted out of the party? Who controls the party?

Has the UK gone a bit more American, I am thinking of the pay-to-vote for Labour leader.

Anyone with knowledge of parties on both sides of the Atlantic care to try and compare and contrast for me.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:23 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone explain US parties (political)

I don't know about the UK system. My limited knowledge about the US system:

The rules of registering for one party or another varies widely by state. In some states, registering as a party member allows one to vote in the primaries. States with "open primaries" don't have this requirement. You can be booted from a party. Outside of that, registering for one party or another is largely symbolic, registered members are not prevented from voting for candidates of other parties in actual elections.

Both parties are headed by a "National Committee". The RNC or DNC creates the party platform, runs fundraising, runs the convention (during which the candidates are selected) and defines national election strategy.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:23 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I get how the parties in the UK work, I was a Labour member for much of my time, but I think I have brought over much of that understanding, and now I am not sure it is an exact match.

In the US people talk about membership, just by indicating voter preference for primaries, so clearly, party membership doesnt mean the same thing.

So what about card carrying membership? Membership seems to be state and national (to a committee) but done by donation. No set fee, no membership no application, no acceptance. Just pay a donation of your choosing and you are in. Can people be booted out of the party? Who controls the party?

Has the UK gone a bit more American, I am thinking of the pay-to-vote for Labour leader.

Anyone with knowledge of parties on both sides of the Atlantic care to try and compare and contrast for me.
In the US, registering for the party is enough to claim affiliation, and even that isn't strictly necessary. Nobody can bar you from attempting to run for political office with a particular party affiliation, let alone prevent you from registering.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

How does one become active in a party in terms of the influencing the National Committees and the like, what is the internal democratic procedure, if such exists. What requirements for voting people in to power up the pyramid. Anyone know.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Click away here....

http://www.democrats.org/about/our-party/party-organization

as for your thread title - I explain them as piggy banks in the guise of donkey or elephant.

Very cynical, I know.

(only came to this position a few days ago....thanks, election 2016)

add'l link: https://wadems.ngpvanhost.com/local/pco

Last edited by MMcD; Mar 31st 2016 at 10:36 pm. Reason: added link
Old Apr 1st 2016, 2:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How does one become active in a party in terms of the influencing the National Committees and the like, what is the internal democratic procedure, if such exists. What requirements for voting people in to power up the pyramid. Anyone know.
How much have you got?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In the US, registering for the party is enough to claim affiliation, and even that isn't strictly necessary. Nobody can bar you from attempting to run for political office with a particular party affiliation, let alone prevent you from registering.
Colbert tried to run in both the Republican and Democrat presidential primaries, at least in SC in 2012, or was it 2008. The courts ruled against him, say he could run in either primary, but not both.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a USC, just go and register with the party affiliation of your choice, then you will find out. As soon as the party of your choosing have your name and number, you will be flooded with solicitations for donations and volunteering around election time.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess each party is different. This one seems to have a fairly straightforward membership model. Fill out the form, pay $60 for membership for a year, and you're in.

Communist Party USA » cpusa
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:27 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

A primary function of both the RNC and DNC is raising money. So if you are connected to a lot of dead presidents or know others who are, then the party organizations would love to talk to you.

At the local level, the non-VIPs can volunteer and network their way in and up the ladder.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:22 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by robin1234
I guess each party is different. This one seems to have a fairly straightforward membership model. Fill out the form, pay $60 for membership for a year, and you're in.

Communist Party USA » cpusa
Now thats a set up I understand.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now thats a set up I understand.
Free membership as a BE Premium Member?
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:34 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Neither the Dems or Republicans bare any resemblance to their UK versions so if the op thinks he automatically belongs to the Dems given his Labour membership he might want to learn not even Sanders advocates state ownership of industry and had dubious stances on immigration before anyone had heard of him. To put it simply, both parties are pro capitalism, the main differences are on social policy. The Dems support abortion and don't like making any correlation between terrorism and Islam, something well known liberal Bill Maher slammed in an interview recently. They also bend over backwards to deny illegal immigration even exits because immigrants generally vote for them. The Republicans, on the other hand, are largely anti abortion, believe gun ownership is a right of every citizen which it is according to the constitution and are pro military. Hope this helps
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:53 am
He/him

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Neither the Dems or Republicans .....
Do you have anything to say or knowledge of party structure and the nature of membership within the parties? Policies are irrelevant to my inquiry.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have anything to say or knowledge of party structure and the nature of membership within the parties? Policies are irrelevant to my inquiry.
If you're serious join the local Democratic party in your precinct and attend their meetings. You'll see for yourself the mechanics of how the parties work.

As an aside George Washington didn't believe in political parties. For instance Nebraska has a non partisan legislature. I think we (America) should have a constitutional amendment to ban political parties. I don't know what function they have. I think they are nothing more than a ruling clique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.