Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Calls for David Cameron to step in after US bars British Muslim family from trip

Calls for David Cameron to step in after US bars British Muslim family from trip

Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calls for David Cameron to step in after US bars British Muslim family from trip

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IMO it is most likely that someone lied on their ESTA and it was discovered on scrubbing the passenger manifest. As we know from multiple visa-related questions over the years, lies on ESTA, or prior to that, on the landing card, are not uncommon.
No, he's on the no-fly list. Our friends at GCHQ most likely have dumped it into their massive database and the Americans have access to it and added the name to the no-fly list.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calls for David Cameron to step in after US bars British Muslim family from trip

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's been the norm for ages! They thought I was someone on the no-fly list! ....
Much more blather, bluster, and protest and you probably will be on the no fly list.
Originally Posted by Steve_
No, he's on the no-fly list. Our friends at GCHQ most likely have dumped it into their massive database and the Americans have access to it and added the name to the no-fly list.
Good work by all concerned then.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

British Syrian-born woman has visa revoked without explanation before flight to Australia | Australia news | The Guardian
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No real surprise there, being born in a country of which half is currently ruled by ISIS. Her eVisitor application will need to security screened before it can be granted. It probably still will be, just not in the timeframe she is demanding. The ETA should never been issued and DIBP should have know better than to recommend it.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people assume that they have a God-given right to travel where and when they want ? A sovereign state has the right to refuse a foreigner permission to enter.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 6:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The woman's MP goes a wee bit OTT in his comments, 'I weep for this woman', I bet he didn't.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Why do people assume that they have a God-given right to travel where and when they want ? A sovereign state has the right to refuse a foreigner permission to enter.
Exactly. This, plus think seriously about buying travel insurance unless you judge you can absorb any financial loss (without too much pain) associated with the holiday/travel.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Travel Insurance does not cover having no visa etc.

BTW Merry Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The woman's MP goes a wee bit OTT in his comments, 'I weep for this woman', I bet he didn't.
I see you have a similar view to me regarding politicians. Any party.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Travel Insurance does not cover having no visa etc.

BTW Merry Christmas
Happy Christmas.

I was wondering if this was covered with standard travel insurance. But then what about this problem that's come to the fore recently, people buying tickets when they have a visa or valid ESTA, but it is revoked after the ticket purchase?
Old Dec 24th 2015, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
Happy Christmas.

I was wondering if this was covered with standard travel insurance. But then what about this problem that's come to the fore recently, people buying tickets when they have a visa or valid ESTA, but it is revoked after the ticket purchase?
Insurance does not cover everything. Does not cover this for example and I can not imagine any Insurer wanting to do so. If it is something you are concerned about you need refundable tickets.

The tickets they bought seem dirt cheap, mentioned that ESTA was relatively recent so presumably not bought a long time ago. My Brother is coming over in a month or so and he paid $1,000 to Denver.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
When did the US Departmenr of Homeland security get a foothold in Gatwick, anyway, telling British passengers what they can and can't do on UK soil? I know they're in Dublin but I hadn't realised they were in the UK as well.
Not sure I follow you; the US can and does decide who gets to enter the US (excpeting the case of Illegals from the Southern Border).
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We don't really know the full story, and probably never will, BUT 2 male adults travelling with 9 children and no women present will raise flags straight away, there are many possibilities, did they have written permission from the mothers of these children? were the 9 children all theirs? and, of course the US has the right to turn away ANY person from entering the US unless they are US citizens, and they do not have to give reasons. According to the BBC this morning the UK border people turned away some 100,000 people from entering the UK this year.
David Cameron should keep his nose out of this, it's not going to go well for him. The only issue I have is the refusal of the airline to refund the flight costs, and only the flight costs.
The UK also turns away/bans people from entering for daring to say controversial things.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
When did the US Departmenr of Homeland security get a foothold in Gatwick, anyway, telling British passengers what they can and can't do on UK soil? ....
People can do whatever they want that is lawful on UK soil. They have no right to tresspass on US soil.

I see no problem in stopping people getting on a plane to the US, and in fact I can't see why any interested party (passenger, airline, US CBP) wouldn't want the passenger(s) to be refused permission to get on the plane rather than fly the Atlantic and be sent back. I would certainly not want to be sent back after an 8 hour flight if being denied permission to even board the plane was an alternative.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is truly beyond the pale: No-fly list flags more Canadian toddlers as security risks - Toronto - CBC News

Can't they just say to the airport staff, don't bother us if they're under the age of 12 or some reasonable age?

At least they let them on the plane though, I bet if it was CBP they'd have been denied boarding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.