Cable Craziness...

Old May 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cable Craziness...

So it's actually approaching one year since Wifey and I made the move to America! And contrary to popular belief, I'm still loving it here and haven't yet become an emittered old BE grump. Except about certain things.

As our first year is up, so is our cable contract. We have IO with Optimum Online and have been using their 'triple play' package, so we get cable, phone and internet for 29.95 each.

Now they want to jack that up by $40!

Considering FIOS is coming to the area and other providers are offering the $29.95 deal, I am going to tell them where they can stick their price hike. I was just wondering what more experienced BE vets have witnessed in terms of cable pricing. Do they always pull this crap?

Do you have to switch providers every year to get the best rate?

SURELY they know it's not good business just to jack the cost up.
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cable Craziness...

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
So it's actually approaching one year since Wifey and I made the move to America! And contrary to popular belief, I'm still loving it here and haven't yet become an emittered old BE grump. Except about certain things.

As our first year is up, so is our cable contract. We have IO with Optimum Online and have been using their 'triple play' package, so we get cable, phone and internet for 29.95 each.

Now they want to jack that up by $40!

Considering FIOS is coming to the area and other providers are offering the $29.95 deal, I am going to tell them where they can stick their price hike. I was just wondering what more experienced BE vets have witnessed in terms of cable pricing. Do they always pull this crap?

Do you have to switch providers every year to get the best rate?

SURELY they know it's not good business just to jack the cost up.
You existing supplier will match any other deal ...just ask ....
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You existing supplier will match any other deal ...just ask ....
Second that. Usually you just lock in for another year at the same rates. That's what happened with our internet. Why not look around for better deals anyway. We have Directv (you don't get BBC America on cable around this area), plus Lingo for the phone, and Verizon internet. We pay $30 for internet, $25 for phone (including unlimited calls to the UK). Not sure how much the basic Directv service is but it's usually cheaper than cable for what you get.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem with Directv is you need the dish and it's not always possible.
One thing to bear in mind if you have your private email addresses through your internet provider is that they may freeze them once you stop service.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Only problem with Directv is you need the dish and it's not always possible.
One thing to bear in mind if you have your private email addresses through your internet provider is that they may freeze them once you stop service.
we still check and recieve emails from our old cable accounts we had in the uk and that was closed 6 months ago!
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same with our Dutch cable, in fact I think they are still going a year later. But AT&T recently froze our DSL linked email addresses since we are no longer using them and wanted 16.95 a month to let us access them.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We had/have Mediacom Cable, as the OP said,after a year all the prices shot up,so I have now gotten rid of the 'land line' phone altogether (I use Skype to talk to my relies in the UK),got rid of HBO/Starz cut the cable down to Family Basic,and am now planning on getting Directtv satelitte and just keeping Mediacom internet,the prices for cable here are just ridiculous,but Mediacom is THE only cable company in our area!.....So what's Direct tv like? Does the weather affect it?,we're thinking of putting the dish on the garage roof (perfect for the southfacing sky),how about the wind?,does that affect the dish?
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

We lost our Directv signal all the time in downtown Chicago, but that could have been down to the city location. Today's weather would have knocked it out for sure.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same with our Dutch cable, in fact I think they are still going a year later. But AT&T recently froze our DSL linked email addresses since we are no longer using them and wanted 16.95 a month to let us access them.

yeah, that's pretty much the norm. if you want to keep your email addy with the cable company after you discontinue service, they will charge you a fee or will close the account altogether. which is why we never use the email accounts they provide for free. We use the free accounts with yahoo, google, hotmail that don't cost a dime and can go with us where ever we move to.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We lost our Directv signal all the time in downtown Chicago, but that could have been down to the city location. Today's weather would have knocked it out for sure.

That's what we've been wondering about...well we can always go back to 'the robbers'! if it doesn't work out,although there are quite a few houses in our area and around town with the satelitte dishes.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
That's what we've been wondering about...well we can always go back to 'the robbers'! if it doesn't work out,although there are quite a few houses in our area and around town with the satelitte dishes.
once you go with satelite you are under a 1yr contract and can't cancel without paying an early termination. and if you move during the contract, and have them re-install a new dish at your new address, it starts your 1 yr all over again! We were pretty ticked when we found that out after we moved.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

I've always played one company against the other. It is a little hard work to do, some inconvenience if they fail to match the deal and you have to switch but you also work for your money, do you want to waste your hard earned cash for a couple of calls and a half day off to be there?

As for e-mail addresses....Get a web based account and you'll have the freedom to use anyone.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I never use the dsl/cable/etc email addresses - I'd recommend hotmail, yahoo, etc. - whatever is independant of the ISP.

I have Directv - it does go out in storms, but generally not for too long. I love the thing anyway, I prefer it to the cable.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:01 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
how about wind?,does that affect the dish?
Stop eating so much chilli then ....

Sophia makes a good point though...for us here in central Illinois there is no other choice cable wise ....they have a captive market and the price is becoming unreal .....
Old May 4th 2008, 1:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They always pull this rubbish..just make sure they don't put you on a contract for price matching as a cancellation fee can be quite nasty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.