Buying a Vehicle

Old May 20th 2014, 6:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Vehicle

Originally Posted by Michael
With all the technology today, the dealer probably could do that remotely.
I am sure the technology exists, but only a fool would use it. What if they disabled the vehicle while it was bring driven? Or waiting at traffic lights? Or in the middle of nowhere at a gas station? There is way too much that could go wrong if you stopped the vehicle remotely.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am sure the technology exists, but only a fool would use it. What if they disabled the vehicle while it was bring driven? Or waiting at traffic lights? Or in the middle of nowhere at a gas station? There is way too much that could go wrong if you stopped the vehicle remotely.
The electronics could sense if the engine was on or off and only disable the car after midnight if the engine is off. Bottom feeders don't care if you are inconvenienced and if you were at a bar when the car was disabled, they'd claim they were doing you a favor.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The electronics could sense if the engine was on or off and only disable the car after midnight if the engine is off. Bottom feeders don't care if you are inconvenienced and if you were at a bar when the car was disabled, they'd claim they were doing you a favor.
I might agree it was an acceptable risk if the car had been parked, stationary, and turned off for three hours before it was disabled.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I might agree it was an acceptable risk if the car had been parked, stationary, and turned off for three hours before it was disabled.
That could easily be done and not very high tech and low cost with timers, engine heat sensors, and the seat belt fasten senor to make sure no one is in the car.
Old May 21st 2014, 2:02 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

A bit out of date now, but Enterprise was the only name brand that rented cars at the rates allowed by the insurance companies when I needed one.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

I've found all the prices are roughly the same and if I was already in the US it would be around $1500, but because I'm pre-booking it's adding on an extra $500 - 700 in compulsory charges depending on the company.

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess it's something I'll have to worry about when I get the dates.