Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British Tourists Turn Their Backs on America

British Tourists Turn Their Backs on America

Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:02 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Tourists Turn Their Backs on America

Originally Posted by freezerman
I suppose its unfair of me to want it not to have changed but I am very posesssive of my home town.....It is irrational I know.
I haven been here for about nine years now..not all of it in Minnesota I have lived in Spokane but the bulk of my time was sent in Masachusetts. I look forward to the time I get to spend in Manchester but I have noticed that during the past couple of visits, the amount of time it takes me to begin to miss my apartment & my Mustang has decreased drastically, it feels almost treacherous to type it.
I apologise for this stream of consciousness stuff but the swedish vodka is working well tonight
I miss home, but the home I miss reallly doesnt exist anymore and now I feel somewhat adrift.
I see that you are in NC. My company has an office in Raleigh, anywhere near you?

I know exactly what you mean...my memories of my home town are good ones...so when I go home it pains me to see the deterioration and changes that have happened....IMHO I still adore home but I would not want my daughter to grow up there....but saying that you cannot beat our countryside and thats where I would love to live if we ever went back....

It does make you feel like a nomad though doesn't it....

P.S. I'm in Greensboro,NC

Now pass over some of that Vodka....I need to drown my sorrows....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously tho, have you been back to England lately? There are CCTV or trafiic cameras everywhere, yet the crime rate keeps climbing. I never bought into that whole "land of the free" crap before but in contrast to Manchester they are right.
You are right - the UK is well documented as being just about the worst place on earth for camera monitoring. Can't find the link to the actual survey, but the UK ranks very close to China in terms of endemic monitoring of its citizens, and far outstrips the US, even though it might not feel like it.

See a Beeb article on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6108496.stm
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I was back over there in September....I am now awaiting the citations from Hertz....I think I am due at least two
Dont get me wrong, I still love England and especially Manchester but I hardly recognise the place anymore. It's similar to running into your best friend from secondary school and finding out he/she has turned into a real Ar**hole.
Oh and by the way dont ever stay at the Britannia hotel in Stockport....no matter what Travelocity says.
How dare you criticize the 'Brittania'.It has a very good reputation as being the biggest 'fleapit' in the Greater Manchester area.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Someone said "you can never go home again." It is never the same as we idealize it in our minds. But, you shouldn't let that ruin your memories.
Hm.

Every time I go home I slot right back in and within a couple of days it seems like I've never been away. A few shops and restaurants may have changed, I do not have my house anymore, but it's still the same place.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hm.

Every time I go home I slot right back in and within a couple of days it seems like I've never been away. A few shops and restaurants may have changed, I do not have my house anymore, but it's still the same place.
Same here. Each time I go home I notice a few new buildings here and there...but all in all it's the same as it was 11 yrs ago when I left.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same here. Each time I go home I notice a few new buildings here and there...but all in all it's the same as it was 11 yrs ago when I left.
I've actually noticed that service is better and people seem friendlier than before I left. Whenever I go back the place seems full of people our enjoying themselves.

I'm sure there are many places of gloom and deprivation, but the same could be said of any country.

And no one of my acquaintance is dying to emigrate...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:07 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I've actually noticed that service is better and people seem friendlier than before I left. Whenever I go back the place seems full of people our enjoying themselves.

I'm sure there are many places of gloom and deprivation, but the same could be said of any country.

And no one of my acquaintance is dying to emigrate...
you are definately right about the people...even though my area has changed ....thank god the people have not....and I can still slot myself in and go out with friends....it just feels weird when I see a lovely old hospital being turned into luxury flats..I still get a feeling of home....its just....argh! I've not idea how to explain it....it just feels surreal...?? (best word I can think of)...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It's called progress Lisa, I guess...questionable IMHO, and I see it everywhere.
Case in point, some years ago Savannah completely destroyed one of their city squares (laid out in the 1700s when the city was founded) in order to build a parking garage. Well guess what, NOW they are restoring the square and building an underground parking facility. Monday morning quarterbacking-twits.

If you are fortunate enough to not observe any changes and are back in your skin so to speak, then that's a bonus. I wasn't surprised by your response Elvira at all, , nor your's JG.

For some people it seems that they are astride two continents and that must be difficult for them.

I would never expect someone to ignore or turn their back on their birthright, heritage or whatever, simply acclimatize wherever they are as best as can and march forth.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:43 pm
Homebody

It's called progress Lisa, I guess...questionable IMHO, and I see it everywhere.
Case in point, some years ago Savannah completely destroyed one of their city squares (laid out in the 1700s when the city was founded) in order to build a parking garage. Well guess what, NOW they are restoring the square and building an underground parking facility. Monday morning quarterbacking-twits.

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

If you are fortunate enough to not observe any changes and are back in your skin so to speak, then that's a bonus. I wasn't surprised by your response Elvira at all, , nor your's JG.

For some people it seems that they are astride two continents and that must be difficult for them.

I would never expect someone to ignore or turn their back on their birthright, heritage or whatever, simply acclimatize wherever they are as best as can and march forth.

<<<sigh>>>

We never planned to stay here forever - but most certainly did not envisage that it would be this hard.

One of the problems of emigrating as a family is that different members of the family may react/adapt (or not) differently. Which can lead to all kinds of 'issues'.

Which is why I'd recommend 'by all means give it a whirl' if you're young and/or single, but 'think very hard about all the potential implications' if you are part of family that wants/needs to stay together.

(Here endeth today's sermon. Which reminds me: what happened to the Rev yesterday? He put in an appearance on Saturday but never surfaced in the Confessional on Sunday - unless I missed him. Could it be that he overdid the sampling of the blood of OLJC? But hang on - he only drinks Diet Coke )

Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:50 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good observation Cindy.

When a person is over here with their spouse, and intends to eventually go back to the UK, they usually feel like a visitor, and that their real home is in the UK. They tend to constantly compare the UK and US.

When your spouse is American, and you have moved over here for the rest of your life, you eventually feel like you "belong."

I've noticed that many of the former tend to call Americans "they." Why do "they" to do this or do that? They will never assimilate, because they don't want to.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:11 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Europeans around this area on holidays, specially in the Winter, when the sky resorts open. The local sky instructors have seen an increase in the number of Europeans visiting in recent years, it looks like it works out cheaper to come to the Rockies and spend dollars than to go to the Alps and spend Euros of Swiss Francs.. This is my experience but I'm sure it affects different parts of the country differently..
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:19 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
There are a lot of Europeans around this area on holidays, specially in the Winter, when the sky resorts open. The local sky instructors have seen an increase in the number of Europeans visiting in recent years, it looks like it works out cheaper to come to the Rockies and spend dollars than to go to the Alps and spend Euros of Swiss Francs.. This is my experience but I'm sure it affects different parts of the country differently..
I can remember when it was the other way around, I mean Yanks going to Europe to ski
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:48 pm
Last orders please...

Your right...I understand that its progress its just I feel out of the loop as I'm not living there anymore...oh well guess I'm just clinging to the old ways who knows....its still my home but I've realised I can "adapt" to whatever country I'm in at the moment....and no matter where I am in the world...I can create a life for me and mine....

you know, the more I write the more I realise my life's not that bad afterall....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:28 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Which is why I'd recommend 'by all means give it a whirl' if you're young and/or single, but 'think very hard about all the potential implications' if you are part of family that wants/needs to stay together

Excellent advice. If I knew then, I'd have moved to the UK which was plan B.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:43 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I am sure that things will be just fine after the next election. You know I think I growing to love this place?
Gosh there is nothing worse than a Brit going native is there?
Seriously tho, have you been back to England lately? There are CCTV or trafiic cameras everywhere, yet the crime rate keeps climbing. I never bought into that whole "land of the free" crap before but in contrast to Manchester they are right.
They do say that better street lighting is more of a deterrent to crime than CCTV cameras. The situation has gotten so out of hand in the UK because of the narrow conservative attitude of - if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to hide - back when CCTV was starting to creep in. Fair enough but who really wants to be spied upon everytime you leave the house.

I am certain that CCTV helps in catching criminals after the fact but I was brought up to believe prevention is better than cure. Take a look at this link and tell me that CCTV is any kid of deterrent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPYBk5bS8c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.