Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British Fish 'n' Chips in DFW area

British Fish 'n' Chips in DFW area

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

mexibrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Fish 'n' Chips in DFW area

I have a sudden desire for some British style fish 'n' chips in the DFW area - I'm in Grapevine but will drive (a long way) to get some. Any ideas?

I've see a few places mentioned online and I even drove out to Denton to find the Angry Fryer:
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009...ips-converted/
But I was never able to find him...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:50 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Fish 'n' Chips in DFW area

Originally Posted by mexibrit
I have a sudden desire for some British style fish 'n' chips in the DFW area - I'm in Grapevine but will drive (a long way) to get some. Any ideas?

I've see a few places mentioned online and I even drove out to Denton to find the Angry Fryer:
Good luck! Chippies with proper British-style chippy chips are like rocking horse poo over here. I had my fill on Friday in NYC - but a bit of a detour on the way home from work for you I expect...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Good luck! Chippies with proper British-style chippy chips are like rocking horse poo over here. I had my fill on Friday in NYC - but a bit of a detour on the way home from work for you I expect...
I will drive but I need some within the next couple of hours...
They don't have to be an exact replica ... something close to the real thing would be nice.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I make my own using Cod & McCormick's Fish n Chip Batter Mix which is not bad - I just use a shallow pan with oil to fry it up. It's better than I have had anywhere over here. Haven't had much luck with home made chips though so usually just do roasted potato wedges.

My son quite likes the Fish n Chips from BJ's Bewhouse and if you are really really desperate there is always Long John Silvers
Attached Thumbnails British Fish 'n' Chips in DFW area-fish-n-chips-seafood-batter-mix.ashx.jpeg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I make my own using Cod & McCormick's Fish n Chip Batter Mix which is not bad - I just use a shallow pan with oil to fry it up. It's better than I have had anywhere over here. Haven't had much luck with home made chips though so usually just do roasted potato wedges.

My son quite likes the Fish n Chips from BJ's Bewhouse and if you are really really desperate there is always Long John Silvers
Thanks for the tips. "Potato wedges" are just not going to cut it I'm afraid...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

watching this thread with interest
don't know where you can find fish and chips but I do know where you can get pretty good pasties!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

http://tinyurl.com/y8n5klg
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
watching this thread with interest
don't know where you can find fish and chips but I do know where you can get pretty good pasties!
Well don't keep it to yourself ...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kar98
Hohoho. That will give me a list of restaurants. It won't tell me what forum members think of them.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Although I am in NY, I took DH out to Applebees for his birthday at the weekend. I ordered their fish and chips and I have to say it was one of the best fish and chips I've had since I moved here (10 years ago). And to top it off, it came with two sachets of vinegar
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:08 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The fish looks well yummy, but I was suprised how yukky it sounds to me, that it is served in newspaper, no nostalgic feeling for me with newspaper, just revolt at the thought of ink on potato (I assume there is something between chip and newspaper)
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by choppi
Although I am in NY, I took DH out to Applebees for his birthday at the weekend. I ordered their fish and chips and I have to say it was one of the best fish and chips I've had since I moved here (10 years ago). And to top it off, it came with two sachets of vinegar
Must admit, I hadn't thought of Applebees.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The fish looks well yummy, but I was suprised how yukky it sounds to me, that it is served in newspaper, no nostalgic feeling for me with newspaper, just revolt at the thought of ink on potato (I assume there is something between chip and newspaper)
There was usually some clean white paper between the newspaper and chips.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I have found is to buy a deep fat fryer and use fresh potatoes...make the batter...dip the fish and cook it yourself.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:30 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The only way I have found is to buy a deep fat fryer and use fresh potatoes...make the batter...dip the fish and cook it yourself.
my homemade never taste like chippy chips, I could never get them soggy enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.