British English Vs USA English. Expert advice needed

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British English Vs USA English. Expert advice needed

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Read Bill Bryson-The Mother Tongue.
Hi:

I have read that book -- excellent. Also, in the late 80's there was a PBS series called "The Story of English" which was hosted by Robert MacNiel. The accompanying coffee-table book is out of print, but is available used on Amazon.com.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:00 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You forget we also have a huge immigrant influx here, albeit not so much in the latter part of the 20th century and the first part of the 21st century due to crappy immigration laws, but you still don't find that phenomena given the influence of the wave we had in the early 20th century. I've been all over the the country and I'll hear pockets of English spoken with the accent of the first language of the speaker, but beyond that it's pretty fluid.
Well, give it time. The invasion and immigration I was referring to was much more regional in nature and happened about 1200+ years ago.

The Saxons, Angles and Danes who ruled that there fair isle came from completely separate stock, and spoke completely different languages, which is why there are so many regional variations on language, as well as accent. Bear in mind, also, that there wasn't much social movement until the industrial revolution. People generally stayed put. So it's only in more rural areas of the US, such as say, Minnesota and the South, and places with a historic city-based population, like New York or Boston, that really strong regional accents occur. People have to stay put for a long period of time for that to happen, and the US is a much younger and more socially fluid nation.

Take Pennsylvania, for example. It's a very old state, and there are definite differences between Philly and Pittsburgh accents, but none of them are as strong as the Amish accent found in Dutch County, because their culture is less fluid and less prone to outside influences.

All IMO, though, for the benefit of Optimus Prime. YMMV, and all that.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Which came 1st, just joking. Kinda.
Today on the beach, minding my own business (Impossible) an Acquaintance of a friend, starts ribbing (Taking the piss) out of my accent. She female, so I try to go gentle (No smack in the mouth, allowed) after 5 mins, I suggest we take a swim into the deeper ocean, beyond the buoys. Lots of people got it and laughed.
The American way of writing your sentence would be:

"Which came first. Just kidding. Kind of.

Today on the beach, while minding my own business (impossible), an acquaintance of a friend starts kidding me about my accent. She is female, so I try to be gentle. After 5 minutes I suggest we take a swim into the deeper ocean, beyond the buoys. Lots of people understood the joke and laughed."

I don't get the joke. Unless you're telling her you would like to get her out in the ocean so you could drown her.

Still she kept on, I pointed out that we the British, invented the language or at least spoke it first, therefore whatever, way I pronounce "A", is correct and the American way is wrong. This usually shuts up the fools, pals laughed. ONE smartarse, friend of the piss taker, chimes in with, "The English, did not invent or start the language". Some one called me & the conversation ended.
Now I know, about the Indo, German, saxon, Celts, Roman, Danes, French, latin & uncle Tom Cobley. But based on, at least the last 500-1000 years or so, I think its safe to say, that we the English/British Invented, the English language as we know it. The very language, that the North Americans & millions & millions of people speak. We the Brits certainly gave the language to USA, Canada, Australia, NZ & the Commonwealth.
All opinions, welcome.
Reg. Frank R.
While the English language might have evolved in the British Isles, it has been added to by the various foreign cultures that have settled in both our countries as well as the colonies that the British Empire governed over the centuries.

So FMVP the core of the two languages are the same but the pronounciations and usage varies greatly.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Well, give it time. The invasion and immigration I was referring to was much more regional in nature and happened about 1200+ years ago.

The Saxons, Angles and Danes who ruled that there fair isle came from completely separate stock, and spoke completely different languages, which is why there are so many regional variations on language, as well as accent. Bear in mind, also, that there wasn't much social movement until the industrial revolution. People generally stayed put. So it's only in more rural areas of the US, such as say, Minnesota and the South, and places with a historic city-based population, like New York or Boston, that really strong regional accents occur. People have to stay put for a long period of time for that to happen, and the US is a much younger and more socially fluid nation.

Take Pennsylvania, for example. It's a very old state, and there are definite differences between Philly and Pittsburgh accents, but none of them are as strong as the Amish accent found in Dutch County, because their culture is less fluid and less prone to outside influences.

All IMO, though, for the benefit of Optimus Prime. YMMV, and all that.
You don't think those accents stayed just on that side of the Atlantic do you? It's not like one section of England stayed back. It's all pretty much geography when you think about it. We have the same influences present here. You seem to forget we share the same history and things didn't start fresh here.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Webster, just after the Revolutionary War, put down the first and most broadly researched document on the English language?

From that point on, British English and USA English have grown in two different directions, but I don't really think you can claim one or the other is the 'right' way to speak it.

The Quebec French and the French French have much the same debate.

Quebec French and American English is actually purer to the style of English spoken back then.

I get paid to write in American English, although I use British English when I write personal stuff.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Don't agree. I believe its because we have so many accents in the UK for such a small country that another accent or two wouldnt make a difference to our ability to understand it. Where as given the size of the country the US has quite few prominent changes in accent across the entire territory.

That I believe is why we have an easier time understanding you than vice versa.
Hi:

LOL. There are many different accents in the US -- just drive I-95 from Maine down to Florida -- it will vary state to state. Due to its later settlement, the midwest and the west coast developed differently. I like reading Louis L'mour novels on flights -- he transliterates the spoken language of the "Old West" [Texas, New Mexico & Arizona it seems] and it has a lot of imports from Spanish.

The Boston accent is often hard to fathom. And also there are regional dialects. What the British call a queue -- I say one stands "in" line. My wife from New Jersey says stand "on" line.

How many syllables does the spoke work coffee have? Jersey speak adds a dipthong in there making it three syllables. I drink "kaw-fee" in the morning, my wife drinks "ko-off-fee".

I think that many people find it a little disconcerting that Barak Obama speaks a "white" English but has a dark skin. [Colin Powell who has Jamaican roots is the same]. My friend Howard Hom speaks what one might call LA Chinatown ABC while J Fong [Yale educated] speaks a San Francisco Chinatown ABC. [We've spoken about this]. However, we have had Chinese clients raised in London who speak perfect RP.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:00 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Didn't Webster, just after the Revolutionary War, put down the first and most broadly researched document on the English language?

From that point on, British English and USA English have grown in two different directions, but I don't really think you can claim one or the other is the 'right' way to speak it.

The Quebec French and the French French have much the same debate.

Quebec French and American English is actually purer to the style of English spoken back then.

I get paid to write in American English, although I use British English when I write personal stuff.
Also Webster made a deliberate statement in changing the spelling of words. Dropping 'extra' letters such as the 'u' in colour or the 'me' in program. There was also the reversal in the 're' ending in words like 'centre', 'calibre', and so forth. It was done to separate us from British English and helped establish our own style of written language. I'm not sure it had much effect on accents but it was a visible means of thumbing the nose up at the motherland. So it's not like we're uneducated in proper spelling of English words. It's more a remnant of a protest that no longer exists and tradition that reflects the deliberate choices of yesteryear.

Roland can you tell I love the study of linguistics?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:18 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
...ONE smartarse, friend of the piss taker, chimes in with, "The English, did not invent or start the language". Some one called me & the conversation ended..
For the next time, come back with "...perhaps your right; but atleast we have the tendency to perfect it."
OR politely correct him "(ahem) its "did not invent nor started the language"
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Also Webster made a deliberate statement in changing the spelling of words. Dropping 'extra' letters such as the 'u' in colour or the 'me' in program. There was also the reversal in the 're' ending in words like 'centre', 'calibre', and so forth. It was done to separate us from British English and helped establish our own style of written language. I'm not sure it had much effect on accents but it was a visible means of thumbing the nose up at the motherland. So it's not like we're uneducated in proper spelling of English words. It's more a remnant of a protest that no longer exists and tradition that reflects the deliberate choices of yesteryear.

Roland can you tell I love the study of linguistics?
fracking webster cnut nazis
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by basementwaj
fracking webster cnut nazis
Nope. Just think, every time you see me write 'color' it's just a little bit of American Independence in that word. Makes you wonder if you took out the 'extra' letters in an English novel, how much slimmer would it make that volume on the book shelf. Could it be that the American spelling makes for a greener publication? Just a thought.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Just think, every time you see me write 'color' it's just a little bit of American Independence in that word. Makes you wonder if you took out the 'extra' letters in an English novel, how much slimmer would it make that volume on the book shelf. Could it be that the American spelling makes for a greener publication? Just a thought.
i will remember how great and streamlined everything is in america when i am next at the gas pumps, wondering how many euros i can buy for $1.60 before my next trip back (if i ever make it off the ground cos of the delayed flights) and i have to hear the woman in the gas station tell me my accent is funny and that "you aint from round ere"
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by basementwaj
i will remember how great and streamlined everything is in america when i am next at the gas pumps, wondering how many euros i can buy for $1.60 before my next trip back (if i ever make it off the ground cos of the delayed flights) and i have to hear the woman in the gas station tell me my accent is funny and that "you aint from round ere"
Now now, the topic was English. The introduction of another topic into the argument means your original has now weakened. Stick to the point or acquiesce respectfully.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now now, the topic was English. The introduction of another topic into the argument means your original has now weakened. Stick to the point or acquiesce respectfully.
respectfully my arse (spelled ARSE!)
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:51 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, Isn't that what Cliff Notes are for?
How would it affect political correctness publications?!?!
overall, no difference in this digital age...

isn't it 'greener' to have the background of computer screens black or white because supposedly it uses less energy to produce such COLOUR? maybe its just me but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Huh, Isn't that what Cliff Notes are for?
How would it affect political correctness publications?!?!
overall, no difference in this digital age...

isn't it 'greener' to have the background of computer screens black or white because supposedly it uses less energy to produce such COLOUR? maybe its just me but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
you may have to ask her again replacing COLOUR with COLOR or she wont know what you are on about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.