Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

BRITISH commestables in the US

BRITISH commestables in the US

Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BRITISH commestables in the US

Sweet and Sour for me everytime!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:42 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Oregon?

All the Fred Meyers stores I've been in have a UK section and have HP sauce. The bacon you will be hard pushed to find but the Sheridan Fruit Company on Martin Luther King in Portland has a good selection of meat, and has a closer match than most supermarkets, and some cheese as well.

In fact Costco on 82nd near Clackamas Town center usually has English and Irish cheese of the stronger cheddar types. Searching around decent cheese of many different kinds is not hard to find. Also search the grocery section of Amazon.com they have quite a selection of UK foods too.

Most airports scan your incoming baggage and have meat and fruit sniffer dogs.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bmoor
Alternately, if I brought some with me, how many years would I get if I "forgot" to mention they were in my luggage when I enter the US??
hahahah.. it doesn't matter what is available in the US, it only matters to you what is available in Eugene Oregon!
Try the natural food stores, but you're not likely to find a lot of English cheeses (that is your best shot). Bring your own bottled sauce, but be prepared to take it all with a grain of salt. The reasons you don't like the tastes of some foods here is the same reason her uneducated friends might not like the tastes of some of yours.

Since you're not going to have a stop over anywhere else, you'd better see what you can bet in Eugene before heading south.
Market of Choice is probably your best bet (see their cheese blog!) and do try some of our local beers. You might be pleasantly surprised.

edit: Costco is an excellent call.. they have been stocking some awesome English cheddar in Portland.

Prohibited and Restricted Items
Food Products (Prepared)
You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States. The APHIS web site features a Travelers Tips section and Game and Hunting Trophies section that offers extensive information about bringing food and other products into the country. Many prepared foods are admissible. However, almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon, soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States.

Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 8th 2009 at 10:16 am.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Most airports scan your incoming baggage and have meat and fruit sniffer dogs.
We got stopped for a Dept of Ag search at Detroit a couple of years back, they didn't find anything, my hubby was PISSED because they took so long they made us miss our connecting flight.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:06 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember that if the nice beagle sits down next to you, he's not looking for an ear scratch.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you are allowed to bring cheese in - but not meat products - so dont put bacon in your suitcase or it might be confiscated.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:46 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Not ALL cheeses are allowed!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

I got stopped in Dallas a few years ago my the Dept of Ag. They opened all my bags and said they were looking for potatoes. I said, can't you buy them here? He wasn't amused, although, nor was I. Did they think I looked like a Potato smuggler? She then went on to tell me they stop every 100th person, what a load of bullshit! How are you going to keep all those evil potato smugglers out by only stopping one out of every 100 people? I saw loads of people staggering through customs with sacks of Spuds, but they were in 97th and 99th place!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:33 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

last time I came in, a guy with a dog came up, I was looking confused...as normal couldn't work out how to get out of baggage reclaim, he asked if I needed help, "yes how do I get out?" he then said " have you got any food stuffs?" dog extremely interested in my bag, I was already stressed having been up for 20 hours and pointed to my on flight and duty free chocolate products, then got paranoid.. .are they Okay?, yes madam!
not till I got home slept and was refreshed, that maybe the dog was smelling my bisto, atroa and OXO! but I was very careful to check for meat in there ingredients and not a sausage, haha!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Customs in Atlanta confiscated my 4 cans of Heinz Beans and Franks becuse they contained pork.......bastards!