Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British..but how much?

British..but how much?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Moribundian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British..but how much?

Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American? This has always fascinated me. I always imagined that, through necessity, one would have to think 'gas' instead of petrol, 'cookie' instead of biscuit etc. - but does it begin to turn you American? Do you find yourself laughing at American humour because you have no alternative ,or becoming demandingly aggressive because that is how things are done over there. Does time dilute your Britishness? Have you changed for the better or worse? I reiterate - I truly wish to know your views, not to disparage!

May I request that each respondent give a percentage (out of 100) of how 'British' they feel at present.

Inland Review
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:06 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British..but how much?

Originally Posted by Moribundian
Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American?
]
love your website....cool piccies...i'm married to a usc and lived here for 4 yrs and luckily go home every few weeks and nope i never will think like this lot, i use their words when here and that's about it.....as for humour..they don't have any and i'm 100% a trubrit at all times and proud of it
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:13 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American? This has always fascinated me. I always imagined that, through necessity, one would have to think 'gas' instead of petrol, 'cookie' instead of biscuit etc. - but does it begin to turn you American? Do you find yourself laughing at American humour because you have no alternative ,or becoming demandingly aggressive because that is how things are done over there. Does time dilute your Britishness? Have you changed for the better or worse? I reiterate - I truly wish to know your views, not to disparage!

May I request that each respondent give a percentage (out of 100) of how 'British' they feel at present.

Inland Review
90%

But I've only been here about nine months and we've just returned from a holiday in England.

Does anybody else find that they lose their American-ness when back 'home' (it was commented by our friends and family that we have absolutely no American accent). We did find that the natives often commented on our English accent when we first got here but hardly ever do now - so there must be some difference even if we don't notice it.

First day back at work today and it did strike me how much faster the pace of life is here (Philadelphia) compared to England and particularly how much more aggressive the driving is here.

I tend to use gas, cookie, vacation, budder, tomado, etc. when dealing with the natives only to be more easily understood. Having said that I use petrol, biscuit, holiday, butter, tomato, etc. when talking to 'our maud'.

Can't be doing with American 'humor' - give me Peter Kay anytime.

In summary, I don't think the American experience makes you any better or worse. It does make you appreciate the difference in our cultures though.

Last edited by Warrington Wolf; Apr 24th 2006 at 8:16 am.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: British..but how much?

I'm proud to say I consider myself a Brit.

And to prove it......tomorrow morning, I'm going to drive down the Kennedy Expressway, through Chicago, on the left hand side of the road

http://www.evo.hr/cat/ Speakers on, please.

Jim
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I'm proud to say I consider myself a Brit.

And to prove it......tomorrow morning, I'm going to drive down the Kennedy Expressway, through Chicago, on the left hand side of the road

http://www.evo.hr/cat/ Speakers on, please.

Jim
You'd be OK in Joizey then.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Inland Review
You ever head the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans" or words to that effect? Well, it's in one's best interests to acclimate to most (note, not all) things American if one is living in the US.

One doesn't have to adapt to the bad habits of the US and Americans. This is all subjective, of course.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:21 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
You ever head the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans" or words to that effect? Well, it's in one's best interests to acclimate to most (note, not all) things American if one is living in the US.
Sellout
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:27 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'd be OK in Joizey then.
Respect - I was beginning to think "is it me?", you've also noticed how they pronounce Jersey. Have you noticed how they say "on" - almost sounds like "own".

Please excuse me for getting off the subject.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:31 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I would say I'm still 100% British and always will be.

I think you start using the American words just to save all the hassle but you soon switch back when you talk to someone from home.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

One does have to adapt so one does. Of course if one does not wish to adapt then one does not have to. Will never lose my Britishness.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

and yet when the Muslims of Bradford don't want to assimilate, we think they should be deported.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:48 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Inland Review
Have you ever been or are you going to be an Expat? Just wondering

Last edited by Sarah; Apr 24th 2006 at 8:56 am.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:55 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

After 9,almost 10 years in the USA I can honestly say that I am still 100% British and always will be.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Sellout
Just I suspected. You only look skin deep...
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:02 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
and yet when the Muslims of Bradford don't want to assimilate, we think they should be deported.
I think we are all saying we fit in while we are in the USA that still doesn't mean you loose your true Britishness. For example its not like we are building "Church of England" churches everywhere I mean thats just not good cricket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.