Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Britain Or U.S a vote?

Britain Or U.S a vote?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:24 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Or U.S a vote?

Originally Posted by Janek66
I can't even watch someone else do that without heaving.
LoL I'm not quite that bad, but it's not something that I've ever managed to get the hang of, or the... "why"?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Mine too!!!!!!! Are we married to the same bloke? He has managed to eat all the kids Halloween crap and then wonders why he is getting lardy.
Haha kindred spirits it appears I can hardly have cookies or any kind of sweets in the house - they disappear immediately!

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It'll be in PM in a few
Thanks

LoL I'm not quite that bad, but it's not something that I've ever managed to get the hang of, or the... "why"?
Re. sweet and savory on a plate - ...why not?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby hates taking me out for breakfast because I get a plate for this and a plate for that......

What do you English ladies make for your American spouses at Thanksgiving.....
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We're back to this idea of sweet and savoury on the same plate, as an English person, I have to agree that its a definate "no" to me.
For me, it's not just "sweet" but what kind of sweetness. I'm fine with natural, fruit-based products that might have a little extra sugar added when they're cooked (a nice, tart applesauce or cranberry relish with meat, for instance.) But maple syrup with breakfast (& maple syrup is nothing more nor less than pure sugar,) or disgustingly sweet muffins (made from refined white sugar & refined flour) is nauseating.

In fact, I like cooking sweet with savoury - chicken cooked in apple cider, pot roast cooked in stewed prunes, for instance - again, I feel it is the super-sweet refined sugar that doesn't go with savoury.

Last edited by robin1234; Nov 17th 2008 at 1:35 pm. Reason: corrected a couple of errors
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Now he'll eat anything that's buried in sugar
That's his Scottish genes. MY parents were both Scottish so I know all about the sweet tooth gene
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Re. sweet and savory on a plate - ...why not?

LOL You know why!
We've been though this before, more than once
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
For me, it's not just "sweet" but what kind of sweetness. I'm fine with natural, fruit-based products that might have a little extra sugar added when they're cooked (a nice, tart applesauce or cranberry relish with meat, for instance.) But maple syrup with breakfast (& maple syrup is nothing more nor less than pure sugar,) or disgustingly sweet muffins (made from refined white sugar & refined flour) is nauseating.

In fact, I like cooking sweet with savoury - chicken cooked in apple cider, pot roast cooked in stewed prunes, for instance - again, I feel it is the super-sweet refined sugar that doesn't go with savoury.
Barfing at thought.....sorry.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234

I'm talking Yams with marshmallows, syrup on pancakes with eggs and bacon, or jam on yorkshire puds. Not Chicken in cider, or duck in orange sauce.
Keep up will ya?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm talking Yams with marshmallows, syrup on pancakes with eggs and bacon, or jam on yorkshire puds. Not Chicken in cider, or duck in orange sauce.
Keep up will ya?
oh dear god almighty, find me that bucket now. ambrosia salad with marshmallows....pukin../.....
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:01 pm
Banned

oh dear god almighty, find me that bucket now. ambrosia salad with marshmallows....pukin../.....
Ambrosia rice pudding with jam, maybe!

I take it you're another one of us that finds the thought of marshmallows and salad, disgusting then?

An american friend of mine has the seperate item at a time syndrome too, what's amusing is though that he eats everything seperately, but will happily see yams and marshmallows as one item. Weird.
I don't think that's an american thing, just a personal trait. I bet there's plenty of "us" that have idiosyncracies when it comes to food.

And, Tracy, you need to try Marmite.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ambrosia rice pudding with jam, maybe!

I take it you're another one of us that finds the thought of marshmallows and salad, disgusting then?

An american friend of mine has the seperate item at a time syndrome too, what's amusing is though that he eats everything seperately, but will happily see yams and marshmallows as one item. Weird.
I don't think that's an american thing, just a personal trait. I bet there's plenty of "us" that have idiosyncracies when it comes to food.

And, Tracy, you need to try Marmite.
Marshmallow and anything is disgusting (I had a friend who would eat fluff sandwiches)...yams are foul too.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marshmallow and anything is disgusting (I had a friend who would eat fluff sandwiches)...yams are foul too.
However, the one and only concession I make is fried bread with marmalade on it.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I admit I am not much of a marshmallow fan. I sort of eat around them.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I admit I am not much of a marshmallow fan. I sort of eat around them.
So what do we make for Thanksgiving?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:24 pm
Banned

So what do we make for Thanksgiving?
Yams with pine nuts

If you ask nicely, I'm sure there's a kind person on here that will give you a few hints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.