Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Britain Or U.S a vote?

Britain Or U.S a vote?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:28 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Or U.S a vote?

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
The sense of humor
Irony
Being experts on the world having never traveled
Wit
Having to end every mildly funny sentence with "Just Kidding" so you know its a joke
Their humbleness
Their lack of racism
The sincerity of "have a nice day"
The fact we would all be speaking German if not for them.
Bringing the world junk food
Their knowledge of the rest of the world...
That they self appointed themself policeman off
Their complete lack of arrogance
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:49 am
Just Joined

teacosy is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed reading these threads. Everyone (almost) I meet wants to be somewhere else! I miss not being able to walk most places or going by train. I had never met anyone who believed in creationism in Britain. The church of England tends to be wishy-washy and now I really like that! Overall I would vote for Britain for transportation, NHS and family...but when I go back I can't deal with family for too long either! I met a guy at the beach 1/2 hr, from Rome, Italy who told me "there's nothing here - I want to move to the U.S." YIKES
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Pro's and con's and much more consideration needed there is not only 'missing and family' to be thought about.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:15 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Nov 14th 2008 at 10:17 am.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:16 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Dont ask for a vote, the decision of the people takes forever to become reality, you only have to look at american political process to see the prolonged drama they live in. I would strongly advise that if you wish to remain an individual, chose another country other than the usa

Have a nice day
too bad Booth's attempt failed.............
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Their humbleness
Their lack of racism
The sincerity of "have a nice day"
The fact we would all be speaking German if not for them.
Bringing the world junk food
Their knowledge of the rest of the world...
That they self appointed themself policeman off
Their complete lack of arrogance
This one is unfair. I truly believe they ARE sincere when they say "have a nice day." When I say it, it is from the bottom of my heart.
As for the "you'd all be speaking German," I never really understood that one. Surely the Germans had no particular interest in encouraging Lesser Races to speak German? In fact, I think they discouraged any form of advanced education among Subject Peoples.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacosy
I enjoyed reading these threads. Everyone (almost) I meet wants to be somewhere else! I miss not being able to walk most places or going by train. I had never met anyone who believed in creationism in Britain. The church of England tends to be wishy-washy and now I really like that! Overall I would vote for Britain for transportation, NHS and family...but when I go back I can't deal with family for too long either! I met a guy at the beach 1/2 hr, from Rome, Italy who told me "there's nothing here - I want to move to the U.S." YIKES
Not really - the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion seem pretty comprehensive and presciptive to me. Certainly, I'm working towards full compliance with them but there are one or two I have a problem with, which is why I'm still officially an atheist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Nine_Articles
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
As for the "you'd all be speaking German," I never really understood that one. Surely the Germans had no particular interest in encouraging Lesser Races to speak German? In fact, I think they discouraged any form of advanced education among Subject Peoples.
I don't think the Germans regarded the British as being a "lesser race", given that they're decidedly Northern European. Don't forget, it was the UK that declared war on Germany, not the other way around. Hitler would have been quite happy with pursuing his expansionist (and subsequent eugenic) agenda throughout most of mainland Europe without the UK getting in the way.

When I hear someone say the whole "you'd be speaking German" thing, I always just ask them if they carry a picture of comrade Stalin in their wallet. That usually shuts them up.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest vote with your feet.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
What's *that* all about?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:55 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
The Salvation Army has been extremely successful, I wouldn't call that a failure?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

teacosy is an unknown quantity at this point

After saying I enjoyed reading the threads, now they seemed to have turned decidedly nasty. Part of taking over another's culture is to prevent them from speaking their own language and teach the children another language - Native Americans, Aborigines...the new language was certainly not taught in the spirit of advanced education.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Britain Or U.S a vote?

Originally Posted by steve100100
Wasn't there a poll similar to this a couple of months ago? Would agree it's all down to the individual. For me personally, I just got back from a 10 day visit to England and if I never went there again it would be too soon. I can understand missing family and all that, but I have to consider my own family here. We have a better quality of life here than we could ever have in the UK. Again, it's all down to one's own circumstances and feelings, but I would never want to leave the US and go back there.
Amen to that, brother.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by teacosy
After saying I enjoyed reading the threads, now they seemed to have turned decidedly nasty. Part of taking over another's culture is to prevent them from speaking their own language and teach the children another language - Native Americans, Aborigines...the new language was certainly not taught in the spirit of advanced education.
I think you are right, in the examples you give (Native Americans, Aborigines.) The US, Canada, Australia, etc., wanted to assimilate native peoples into the broader culture, and one method was to send children to boarding schools and discourage them from speaking their native languages.

My point in commenting on the historical German example was that, because of the exclusive racial ideology of the Nazis, they were very content for non-German peoples to continue to speak their own languages (French, Polish etc.) They didn't want to assimilate them, just (1) exploit/rule them (Poles), or (2) take them down a rung or two on the ladder of world power (French, and British if Germany had defeated us.)

(Exceptions were people in Alsace and Lorraine, which was absorbed into Germany, and people in Poland who could qualify as being of German heritage, who WERE encouraged to switch to German language & culture.)
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
When I hear someone say the whole "you'd be speaking German" thing, I always just ask them if they carry a picture of comrade Stalin in their wallet. That usually shuts them up.
Was just reading an article about how German was very nearly the official language in the US. Until that whole 1st WW thing happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.