Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bringing UK electronics to the USA

Bringing UK electronics to the USA

Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing UK electronics to the USA

Hello,

Well, the time is slowing passing but we are getting to our October departure date slowly but surely! Before you all lecture me on how we shouldn't bother bringing anything electronic from the UK, I'll just stop you there and say that bringing my dear husband's Playstations is non-negotiable. SO, here we are! My husband is hell bent on bringing his UK PS3 and PS4 to the USA so I'm wondering--Do we need a step-UP voltage converter for them?(along with a plug adapter)

And while I'm here, since they're not new, they don't need to specifically be declared coming through customs do they? I'm assuming it's treated as your laptop is...

Thanks!
Sarah
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing UK electronics to the USA

Originally Posted by sarahincos
Hello,

Well, the time is slowing passing but we are getting to our October departure date slowly but surely! Before you all lecture me on how we shouldn't bother bringing anything electronic from the UK, I'll just stop you there and say that bringing my dear husband's Playstations is non-negotiable. SO, here we are! My husband is hell bent on bringing his UK PS3 and PS4 to the USA so I'm wondering--Do we need a step-UP voltage converter for them?(along with a plug adapter)

And while I'm here, since they're not new, they don't need to specifically be declared coming through customs do they? I'm assuming it's treated as your laptop is...

Thanks!
Sarah
No, they will work fine- you just have to buy the power bar.
Obviously, he wont be able to buy any games in the US though, as they wont work on a UK playstation;.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i imagine the older play station could be picked up quite cheaply from a resale store over here so you could play US games on that.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... My husband is hell bent on bringing his UK PS3 and PS4 to the USA so I'm wondering--Do we need a step-UP voltage converter for them?(along with a plug adapter) .....
What you need is not a simple "voltage converter" but a "transformer". A voltage converter would work for a short visit, but is not an appropriate long term solution.

Transformers aren't too expensive so a "smoothing transformer" is the best option as provides protect from the US's notoriously "noisy" mains power. You should buy one that comfortably exceeds the maximum power draw of anything that you are likely to run using it, so for example a transformer rated for 500w if you plan to use it for appliances rated as 250w.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2015 at 7:02 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Are the Playstations like laptops in that they can run on either 110-120volts or 220-240volts?

Assuming the Playstation needs 220-240volts : you would need a step-up transformer and just change the plug. The ones sold here for consumers are cheap Chinese ones though. I don't know who sells a quality one.

I wonder if you could just plug it into a 220v outlet , the ones used for dryers?? The US 220v is 110v on each leg while the UK sends all 220v through 1 leg (I believe??)

Don't think the frequency difference will matter . It may matter the other way around , i.e. if you took a US appliance that had a fan for cooling and ran it on UK 50hz (the fan would run slower)

Oh and as Pulaski mentions : you would need to size your transformer to have about 40% more wattage than the Playstation. So if the Playstation was 100watts , you'd want a transformer that was atleast 140watts , or the think might heat up.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 2:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i imagine the older play station could be picked up quite cheaply from a resale store over here so you could play US games on that.
I just picked up a PS3 on ebay with 9 games for $180.00 including shipping. Seen them much cheaper, but I had to have GTA V ...

I've seen PS4s for under $350.00. Usually no games included though but often you get lucky and someone's switching to Xbox One and dumping their Sony stuff.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Are the Playstations like laptops in that they can run on either 110-120volts or 220-240volts?
I think they can, but the games are region specific.

I know the OPs husband is dead set on bringing them, but if he can get a good price for both systems in the UK, it may be the better option to sell up and start over once back out here. I sold my PS2 and got a new one here when I moved, but as an interim, I just bought all the GTAs for my PC and learned to do without footie and Gran Turismo until I was able to get a new console
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
No, they will work fine- you just have to buy the power bar.
Obviously, he wont be able to buy any games in the US though, as they wont work on a UK playstation;.
Thanks! I was wondering this because the PS itself says it's dual voltage apparently (had a look today!).

Just wanted to let you know that PS3 (except one) and PS4 games are region free, though! I know he'll have to buy a new PSN membership, but games shouldn't be a problem. Google it!

Sarah

Last edited by sarahincos; Aug 6th 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to let you know that PS3 (except one) and PS4 games are region free, though! I know he'll have to buy a new PSN membership, but games shouldn't be a problem. Google it!

Sarah
I wish they'd done the same for the PS2. I only got £75 for mine when I sold it, it was hardly worth it.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, we got a super deal on the PS4 on Black Friday so I don't think we'd be any better selling it off here. We replaced his fat PS3 last year with a slim one as well (when GTA 5 came out--and then smacked ourselves when GTA 5 came out months later on the PS4) so it's like they're both new and it'd be just as much of a pain to sell and replace. If we were tight on luggage allowance then yeah, but might as well bring them and it's one less thing we have to buy once we get there.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I wish they'd done the same for the PS2. I only got £75 for mine when I sold it, it was hardly worth it.
I know right! He's got loads of PS2 games but it's just not worth it! Best to just hold onto the relic for relic's sake (like my lovely original Nintendo & Sega!) haha
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:45 pm
I have a comma problem

By the way, we got a super deal on the PS4 on Black Friday so I don't think we'd be any better selling it off here. We replaced his fat PS3 last year with a slim one as well (when GTA 5 came out--and then smacked ourselves when GTA 5 came out months later on the PS4) so it's like they're both new and it'd be just as much of a pain to sell and replace. If we were tight on luggage allowance then yeah, but might as well bring them and it's one less thing we have to buy once we get there.
Fair enough.

However, if you're not using a shipping container for the move (where space isn't a premium), keep an eye on baggage allowances. They seem to be getting smaller all the time before charges kick in.

That being said, it might be cheaper to have a friend or relative FedEx them out to you after you move, as opposed to paying an excess baggage fee.

GTA V would still be the dog's bollocks if it was on the ZX Spectrum, so don't worry about the PS4 release ruining your fun
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:46 pm
I have a comma problem

I know right! He's got loads of PS2 games but it's just not worth it! Best to just hold onto the relic for relic's sake (like my lovely original Nintendo & Sega!) haha
Just noticed this.

If you have any kind of halfway decent gaming PC, the PS2 can be emulated and those games can be played on the computer instead. I have done that with my PS1 games but my PC isn't quite good enough to emulate the PS2. Needs a way better gfx card than the one I have.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Just noticed this.

If you have any kind of halfway decent gaming PC, the PS2 can be emulated and those games can be played on the computer instead. I have done that with my PS1 games but my PC isn't quite good enough to emulate the PS2. Needs a way better gfx card than the one I have.
Oh really?! Will have to look into this! He's got a decent gaming PC but I certainly don't lol which kind of bums me out because he hogs the GTA all the time and I'd like to play on my PC (even though it's not as good lol). But we did break down and buy GTA 5 (again) for the PS4 and it's SO much better than it was on the PS3. Very happy!

We're going on a cruise to the US and they're pretty lenient with baggage allowances compared to airlines. We will probably still ship a box or two, but nothing more than that. I've mentioned shipping the PS's but he wants to keep them in his possession. Boys and their toys, ugh lol.

Sarah
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh really?! Will have to look into this! He's got a decent gaming PC but I certainly don't lol which kind of bums me out because he hogs the GTA all the time and I'd like to play on my PC (even though it's not as good lol). But we did break down and buy GTA 5 (again) for the PS4 and it's SO much better than it was on the PS3. Very happy!
Yeah, I can't remember what the name is but it should be easily found on Google. The emulator reads the discs from your computer's DVD-ROM and you can set the region on the software. If your PC is capable of playing GTA IV, it should have no issues emulating the PS2.

I emulate the PS1, Amiga and CPC on mine. I still enjoy the old games.

We're going on a cruise to the US and they're pretty lenient with baggage allowances compared to airlines. We will probably still ship a box or two, but nothing more than that. I've mentioned shipping the PS's but he wants to keep them in his possession.
Ah, a cruise will give you much more flexibility, I had thought you were flying. In that case, it makes sense to bring those as you won't be penalized as heavily for it.

Boys and their toys, ugh lol.
Well, yes. We won't bring up my musical gear collection, because those are a lot more space-hungry than a couple of consoles ...