Bringing food over!

Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing food over!

Originally Posted by Wintersong
If you have an Indian store, you can often find Heinz beans for around $1.
We have quite a few and that's the one thing that's not much cheaper. $2.50 on sale the other day.

They're great for custard and Dettol soap though...
Old Dec 17th 2016, 10:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
Hey guys,

Been searching for answers online, I'm visiting my OH for Christmas on Sunday and I'm bringing a bunch of British treats for her family as gifts for Christmas.

There are some foods I know which I can bring, but there is a few I am unsure on!

Here are the ones I am unsure of:

Mushy peas (tinned, obviously)
Meat flavoured crisps (I know the USA are funny on meat, but meat flavoured?)
Custard Powder
Branston Pickle

Can anyone tell me are these things okay to bring over? I'm only asking as I know they're funny about vegetable/meat stuff, so want to check if canned veggies and meat flavoured stuff are okay? And I'm unsure how they are on powdered foods?

I'll be putting some things in my carry on, chocolates and biscuits mainly, hopefully they make it through the flight untouched
I would forget all of that stuff, most Americans won't go for mushy peas, Branston, or custard powder. Believe me I know.

American crisps taste much better. Cape Cod, Ruffles, yum.

Buy something they will enjoy. Rose's chocolates, Quality Street, Cadbury bars. Everything else you can buy here. The only thing I smuggle back is Oxo. You can buy Lindt chocolate here, which is delicious.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I would forget all of that stuff, most Americans won't go for mushy peas, Branston, or custard powder. Believe me I know.

American crisps taste much better. Cape Cod, Ruffles, yum.

Buy something they will enjoy. Rose's chocolates, Quality Street, Cadbury bars. Everything else you can buy here. The only thing I smuggle back is Oxo. You can buy Lindt chocolate here, which is delicious.
Well it's lucky my OH knows her family very well, and after trying stuff here in England she's able to tell me what to bring that she knows her family will like that they don't have there or is hard to get there for their area.

It's about trying something different, to my girlfriends family the idea of steak or chicken crisps is odd and something they have voiced wanting to try.

Of course I have a bunch of Cadburys too

I also know what Americans would like but that's only based on the Americans I know. I'm not gonna generalise all Americans tastes on the few Americans I do know
Old Dec 18th 2016, 11:35 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
Well it's lucky my OH knows her family very well, and after trying stuff here in England she's able to tell me what to bring that she knows her family will like that they don't have there or is hard to get there for their area.

It's about trying something different, to my girlfriends family the idea of steak or chicken crisps is odd and something they have voiced wanting to try.

Of course I have a bunch of Cadburys too

I also know what Americans would like but that's only based on the Americans I know. I'm not gonna generalise all Americans tastes on the few Americans I do know
Oh, don't forget the Christmas crackers!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I use it because I'm the only one who likes gravy and I can't be arsed to make a full pan when a spoon of granules will do the trick. Plus, it's more handy for when making pies...
Same here; it's a practical way to make gravy for one - in our case, it's to put on any green vegetables I serve to hubby, so he can eat them for the vitamins without really tasting them.

Bisto is vastly improved for almost no extra effort by replacing some of the water with red wine. Add not quite enough boiling water so it mixes very thick, then slacken it off with a slug of wine to the right consistency.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Not on a plane; they tend to prefer passengers not to bring explosives on board.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:14 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

They've started selling them in some of our local stores! Now I can introduce my US family to Cracker jokes, toys and of course the snazzy fashion that is a paper crown.

Originally Posted by kodokan
Not on a plane; they tend to prefer passengers not to bring explosives on board.
So *thats* why the air marshal rushed me. Makes sense now
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:57 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by kodokan
OMG, I'm crackers!

I bought some nice British crackers in Steinmart, and looks like nice prizes from the pic.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc

So *thats* why the air marshal rushed me. Makes sense now
The missus, has a client that was named after a certain beloved leader of the Middle East who was swung on a rope. The chap was a air marshal and he mentioned he had a hell of a time bringing a gun to work during the war
Old Dec 19th 2016, 11:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
i would go along with this, gravy doesn't seem to be as popular here. It's just something that is used with stuffing, not the whole dinner.
The whole dinner? You use it on your vegetables? Oops reading further someone does just that. Oh My!

We always have had gravy here in my house and my mother's house. Dad was a meat and gravy man. We have gravy on potatoes (mashed), beef, chicken, turkey. Love to clean the plate with a dinner roll dragged through the remains on the plate. Yum. At least that is my corner of the world.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 19th 2016 at 11:31 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

KFC always put it on their mashed potatoes.