Boston Marathon?

Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boston Marathon?

So anyone taking part? Anyone else have to endure it?

We used to live right on the route and it was a ball ache...we don't anymore, but this year as the missus has to do a bit of cover down there for work, we'll be stuck for the morning, so will be watching.

Unfortunately, we'll be stuck on the wrong side of the road to get to the town green, which will be a bugger and the library will probably closed.

Expected to be 90F tomorrow too, which won't be fun
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boston Marathon?

Originally Posted by Bob
For a minute there Bob I thought you were running it, then common sense kicked back in.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
For a minute there Bob I thought you were running it, then common sense kicked back in.
Yeah, sod that effort for a laugh

Though the missus was induced for our first kid because of the marathon as it would have left us stranded and not able to get to any of the local hospitals at the time if we didn't go before hand
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to do a marathon here at some point. I did London twice (2006 & 2009) but I am nowhere near fit enough to do one again any time soon. I think I'd want to do either NY, Chicago or Boston but then again, they are the only major ones I have heard of. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll do another one. (Gives me 4 years to get my arse in gear then!)
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I wonder how much they all stack up for cost? Friend did the NY one and said it was pretty pricey entry fee.

The Boston one also seems to be pretty serious, well there doesn't seem to be nearly as much fun as the London one with people doing it in silly costumes and the like. Also starts in a bit of a shitter, but some really nice places along the route.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I wonder how much they all stack up for cost? Friend did the NY one and said it was pretty pricey entry fee.

The Boston one also seems to be pretty serious, well there doesn't seem to be nearly as much fun as the London one with people doing it in silly costumes and the like. Also starts in a bit of a shitter, but some really nice places along the route.
The NY one is pricey. I looked at doing it in 2010 but the entry fee etc was just stupid although not as high as if I'd been an international runner. The entry fee for London was much more reasonable. Damn it. I'm going to have to look into it all now!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:24 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

We used to live right on the route and it was a ball ache...we don't anymore, but this year as the missus has to do a bit of cover down there for work, we'll be stuck for the morning, so will be watching.

Unfortunately, we'll be stuck on the wrong side of the road to get to the town green, which will be a bugger and the library will probably closed.

Expected to be 90F tomorrow too, which won't be fun
That's hot There are going to be some casualties - people will not have been able to train for heat this early in the year. I did the New York one a couple of times, but never fast enough for Boston, or even close. In any temperature.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:11 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You probably know this, but you have to qualify for Boston. The times can be pretty stringent depending on your age. Because of this, it tends to attract more serious runners who are shooting for a specific time. Lots of people run Boston every year. New York is a bit more laid back, Chicago is as well. There are tons of other marathons that are even more informal, check out active.com.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:19 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

"Fun" and "Marathon" are mutually exclusive.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:28 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
"Fun" and "Marathon" are mutually exclusive.
Marianne Faithfull may disagree. Oh wait, that was a Mars...
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You probably know this, but you have to qualify for Boston. The times can be pretty stringent depending on your age. Because of this, it tends to attract more serious runners who are shooting for a specific time. Lots of people run Boston every year. New York is a bit more laid back, Chicago is as well. There are tons of other marathons that are even more informal, check out active.com.
Loads didn't run it this year because of the heat and the times were put out of whack because of it.

I do know it's a pretty serious one, but all the same, kind of fun to have some fun characters at the back of the marathon
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

My friend's husband ran it, who is a serious runner. He said they were advising that only experienced marathon runners take part because of the heat. I stepped out the house for about 20 mins yesterday and that was enough for me
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by denzil75
My friend's husband ran it, who is a serious runner. He said they were advising that only experienced marathon runners take part because of the heat. I stepped out the house for about 20 mins yesterday and that was enough for me
Aye, anyone who qualified but didn't want to run will get to automatically qualify for next year with their number and not have to pay entry.