British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Bonfire night... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/bonfire-night-638844/)

Mummy in the foothills Nov 3rd 2009 4:49 pm

Re: Bonfire night...

Mmmmm Home made treacle toffee.
We have a large brush pile in the garden that needs burning, maybe we should do that on the 5th and do the spuds in foil for dinner.

Trixie_b Nov 3rd 2009 5:01 pm

Apple frittas and spuds done at the side of teh fire.....

orangemirror Nov 3rd 2009 5:31 pm

I was explaining to some Americans at work about Bonfire Night. It's not until you actually stop and think what we are doing, basically burning an effigy of some bloke from over 400 years ago, that you realise how ridiculous it sounds.

I love it though and the guys at work were saying they wished they did it here cause it sounds great.

Nu-Shooz Nov 3rd 2009 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 8068090)
I was explaining to some Americans at work about Bonfire Night. It's not until you actually stop and think what we are doing, basically burning an effigy of some bloke from over 400 years ago, that you realise how ridiculous it sounds.

I love it though and the guys at work were saying they wished they did it here cause it sounds great.

I suppose USA can only celebrate bonfire night if someone tries to burn down the White house.

another bloody yank Nov 3rd 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8068098)
I suppose USA can only celebrate bonfire night if someone tries to burn down the White house.

Well, you English burned it down in 1814. Does that count?:sneaky:

lisag8070 Nov 3rd 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 8068090)

I had the same problem explaining it to my daughter, she's only 8 and grew up in America and she just turned round to me and said..."so you all celebrate burning a person alive on top of a fire?, thats just not right momma"..not a lot I could say to that one really..:blink:

but she'll see just how much fun it can be we have an organised fire up at the big park with a massive fireworks display and treacle toffee, parkin cake and hot apple cider and of course sparklers..I believe there are even putting up a little fun fair for the kids..:thumbsup:, I think I'm going to enjoy it more then the kids..:o

Nu-Shooz Nov 3rd 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8068138)

Did we?? well there you go then, you can celebrate afterall. Get the effergies out.

Englishtart Nov 3rd 2009 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 8068141)
but she'll see just how much fun it can be we have an organised fire up at the big park with a massive fireworks display and treacle toffee, parkin cake and hot apple cider and of course sparklers..I believe there are even putting up a little fun fair for the kids..:thumbsup:, I think I'm going to enjoy it more then the kids..:o

That sounds like so much fun, I can just smell the parkin, with that sticky top that always ends up stuck to your fingers...yummy!

I can just see you, spelling out your name with a sparkler!:rofl:

robin1234 Nov 3rd 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8068138)

Yeah but only because the US forces pillaged and burned down York, the capital of Upper Canada. Perfectly justifiable retaliation..

another bloody yank Nov 3rd 2009 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8068248)
Yeah but only because the US forces pillaged and burned down York, the capital of Upper Canada. Perfectly justifiable retaliation..

"Pillage" is such an ugly word... Can we say they "Borrowed things and forgot to put them back when they were finished" instead?

Bill_S Nov 3rd 2009 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8068366)
"Pillage" is such an ugly word... Can we say they "Borrowed things and forgot to put them back when they were finished" instead?

If we do that, the missus will be on me for pillaging her good scissors.

yorkshirelass Nov 3rd 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 8068024)
Apple frittas and spuds done at the side of teh fire.....

Bonfire spuds are the best tasting spuds!!:thumbsup:

lisag8070 Nov 3rd 2009 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8068204)
That sounds like so much fun, I can just smell the parkin, with that sticky top that always ends up stuck to your fingers...yummy!

I can just see you, spelling out your name with a sparkler!:rofl:

:thumbsup::o:lol:

Bob Nov 3rd 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8067828)

Can't even buy fireworks here otherwise I would have a little party:(

Can't in Mass either, or Maine, but everyone just swings over to New Hampshire and buys them and tries to avoid cops as they go over the border :D

bugman Nov 4th 2009 12:22 am

this time of year i love parkin, always have, my gran made it when were kids. This years no different, i made one today and its very nice (i had some golden syrup and treacle in the cupboard), will be better after a few days in a tin if i can wait that long.

also miss the incredibly simple pleasure of black peas in vinegar.