Bobby

Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:07 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bobby

In 1968, Bobby Kennedy ran for President. His charisma was remarkable in that he raised the hope of better things in black and white blue collar workers and young to middle aged professionals alike, much the same as Obama is raising in the young and the black people today.

I went to see him in Upper Darby, just outside Philadelphia before I left to go to a job in Denver. To my disappointment it was just a rah-rah speech.

One morning, in Denver, my alarm radio woke me and left me in confusion, as I woke I thought they said Kennedy had been shot, but of course he was but that was a few years ago. Then I realised it was Bobby that was killed and I couldn't believe it. It was deja vu, and sickening. I wasn't an American, had no intention to become one, but I was caught up in his magic, unusual for the generally cynical me.

The journey of his funeral train, back to Washington was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, all across America, people filled station platforms, standing quietly or softly singing hymns or spirituals, some roads running under bridges that were to carry the train were blocked as they watched that last journey of the man who had raised their hopes of a new and honest and courageous future.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:16 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bobby

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The journey of his funeral train, back to Washington was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, all across America, people filled station platforms, standing quietly or softly singing hymns or spirituals, some roads running under bridges that were to carry the train were blocked as they watched that last journey of the man who had raised their hopes of a new and honest and courageous future.
see here:

http://bezumnypiero.livejournal.com/54453.html

Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:20 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That was quite a year MLK in April, RFK in June. I remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OqdHMoTxE

Last edited by cindyabs; Jun 7th 2008 at 1:26 am.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:26 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
on a happier but slightly less earth-shaking note, I was born in June of that year
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OqdHMoTxE
I was alive, living in Germany. Maybe if we had a tv I might have some memory of it. The both of them dying must have been such crushing blows. The pics of people watching RFK's funeral train show the range of people that felt he spoke for them.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:43 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! Richard Nixon for the win!