Black Friday?

Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Friday?

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Really? That would mean more people celebrate Thanksgiving than Eid or Diwali. We certainly know when those are (usually because of colleagues celebrating them bringing in goodies to the office), but I've never heard of anyone organizing a Thanksgiving celebration. Perhaps the author got it mixed up with 'Harvest Festival'?
Nope, it was linked to a spike in the sales of turkey and related foods, including desserts like pumpkin pie.

Here's the article from last year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2015 at 1:53 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Target was a ghost town this morning and the mall was equally as quiet, no where near as busy as a regular Saturday morning.

Sales were utterly shit though.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Talking about Canada/US, we live just by the border on the U.S. side. Town is dead on its feet, but it does have a surprisingly big UPS store not far from the border crossing. With several large trash bins just outside. All the cars parked there are Canadian .. folks order their stuff, unwrap them, throw away all the packaging .. whether it's to try to save the duty on the way back, or simply because the shipping would be cheaper within the U.S., I don't know.

We're in Canada for the long weekend to avoid the U.S. holiday. Meanwhile my email is full of Black Friday bs both from Britain and U.S.!
Those services are common along the border, Pt. Roberts which is attached to Canada and not the US, but is part of the US has several of these services, as well as gas stations who price and sell the gas in liters since almost every customer is Canadian, same with the grocery store who nicely labels what can and can't be taken back to Canada.

A lot of companies won't ship to Canada or charge excessive prices to do so, so instead we just ship to one of these services and then go pick it up.

When the exchange rate was good, people did it to get things cheaper, but now it's switched more to only ordering things that are not available in Canada since savings is harder to come by when your $1 is only worth 70 cents US$.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 1:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are excellent deals out there.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Black Friday hit Australia. Not impressed. May have been only online, didn't go shopping yesterday so no idea about 'real' shops but I did get seriously pissed off with Lenovo and a couple of other stores emailing me shouty messages to pick up a bargain. **** off.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 1:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I did pick up a circular polarising filter for one of my lenses for a fiver on Amazon, which isn't bad. Shame they didn't have the other diameters on sale as I'd have liked to have picked up a few more.

Gearbest.com had a lot of fun little bits and pieces for stocking stuffers.

newegg.com thinkgeek.com and meh.com were, well a bit meh.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Washington state is pretty much 80% Canadian over the black Friday long weekend. Luckily I know all the backroads and can avoid most of the backups they cause.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Got a couple of things on Friday over the internet at a reasonable discount. The other thing I wanted to get only had a 8c discount over the various stores/websites, so it was full price all weekend. I don't know if it will go on sale after Christmas or later on in the winter. I'm not holding my breath. I'm trying to avoid the stores if at all possible.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 1:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Northern Washington state is pretty much 80% Canadian over the black Friday long weekend. Luckily I know all the backroads and can avoid most of the backups they cause.
I am surprised that many went down to be noticeable, with the bad exchange rate, I didn't see many deals on the US websites to be worthwhile, but most don't do seem to consider the exchange rate as closely as I do. They just see 199.99 in the US and forget that will cost them around $260 in CAD,.,,,