Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

BEST ROUTE DRIVING FROM SEATTLE TO BIRMINGHAM AL?

BEST ROUTE DRIVING FROM SEATTLE TO BIRMINGHAM AL?

Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:56 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BEST ROUTE DRIVING FROM SEATTLE TO BIRMINGHAM AL?

Hi
Trying to decide on the best route to take in order to avoid snow. Originally when I drove to Seattle I took I-90 through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Not sure if that is the best idea this time of year. Someone told me going through Oregon might be the better route. Anyone with help on this matter? It would be most appreciated! I'm driving from Seattle to Birmingham Al.

Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:27 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BEST ROUTE DRIVING FROM SEATTLE TO BIRMINGHAM AL?

23 views and no responses?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:46 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Well, some of us live in Texas Sorry, despite having lived in the US all my life, I simply don't know, but I'll ask someone if I get a chance.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:57 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it's six of one, half a dozen of another at this time of year. At some point, you're going to have to cross some snowy states unless you drive all the way down the coast and then head east. Depends how long you want to take doing it.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I reckon it's six of one, half a dozen of another at this time of year. At some point, you're going to have to cross some snowy states unless you drive all the way down the coast and then head east. Depends how long you want to take doing it.
Agreed, if minimising the distance driven in snow is your primary objective, you should follow the Pacific coast south, but given that you could still hit snow in New Mexico and northern Texas, even then there is no guarantee of a snow-free journey.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

At this time of year, you're pretty much screwed as far as the Weather is concerned,

Colorado, I-70 exspecially, can be fairly dicey in the Winter.

The only advice I will offer is to pre-book your Hotels, en-route, as they will fill up early, particularly during Bad Weather.

Take plenty of Patience & Caution with you.

Jim (Coach Driver)
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from KY to Seattle in mid-Dec 2012. We basically drove west to St Louis, then headed south a bit until we hit I-40 and then headed straight west, until we reached LA/California. Then we took I-5 straight north through CA and OR. There are some mountain passes along that route, but I don't think they get near as bad as the passes through the Rockies. We still carried some survival supplies and snow chains for the car. Even in mid-Dec, we barely missed a heavy snowfall in the mountain passes in Oregon by about 12hours. There was also some decent snow on the ground in the higher elevations of NM. For that reason, you may want to take a highway even further south than I-40, and that might mean driving across the widest part of Texas, but that might be your best way to avoid as much snow as possible.

This time of year, you just have to pay close attention to the weather. When you stop for gas/food ask the locals what the weather is supposed to be ahead of you. Plan on driving shorter days (don't try to drive 900m in a single day) to give yourself plenty of time for weather delays.

We planned our route/hotels ahead of time. We did the 3500miles in 6 1/2 days. It wasn't the most shortest/direct route by any means, but it avoided (the best we could) the heavy snowfall areas in the Rockies and the northern states.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 4th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

I5 - 518 - Airport Express way - Delta 2329 - I20

Last edited by Casual Observer; Jan 4th 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
I5 - 518 - Airport Express way - Delta 2329 - I20
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just did phx to kc and back again for Xmas with toddler and dog. 18 hrs non stop over night taking shifts. Mostly I - 40 we managed to get south of the big storm before it hit kc but actually hit snow in Amarillo. My point being the weather will get you no matter what and altitude can be a big issue no matter your lattitude.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, if minimising the distance driven in snow is your primary objective, you should follow the Pacific coast south, but given that you could still hit snow in New Mexico and northern Texas, even then there is no guarantee of a snow-free journey.
That is the route I took, and yes I survived! Kissed the ground once making it back to the East coast.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:22 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
That is the route I took, and yes I survived! Kissed the ground once making it back to the East coast.
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Was it a nice drive, as in scenic? How long did it take?
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We moved from KY to Seattle in mid-Dec 2012. We basically drove west to St Louis, then headed south a bit until we hit I-40 and then headed straight west, until we reached LA/California. Then we took I-5 straight north through CA and OR. There are some mountain passes along that route, but I don't think they get near as bad as the passes through the Rockies. We still carried some survival supplies and snow chains for the car. Even in mid-Dec, we barely missed a heavy snowfall in the mountain passes in Oregon by about 12hours. There was also some decent snow on the ground in the higher elevations of NM. For that reason, you may want to take a highway even further south than I-40, and that might mean driving across the widest part of Texas, but that might be your best way to avoid as much snow as possible.

This time of year, you just have to pay close attention to the weather. When you stop for gas/food ask the locals what the weather is supposed to be ahead of you. Plan on driving shorter days (don't try to drive 900m in a single day) to give yourself plenty of time for weather delays.

We planned our route/hotels ahead of time. We did the 3500miles in 6 1/2 days. It wasn't the most shortest/direct route by any means, but it avoided (the best we could) the heavy snowfall areas in the Rockies and the northern states.
I remember reading your journey crossing the country. How is everything working out in Seattle for you?

I personally relocated to Seattle in early summer and spent half a year living there. Thought it was an interesting place, but at the end of the day decided that region of the country was nice, but not the best place for me. Liked the beauty of the terrain and enjoyed the international vibe offered by the city. Have never met so many wonderful Australians and Brits in all my many days.

But I could not shake the feeling that there wasn't anything substantial on offer by the city that could not be found in any other major city back on the east coast. And I'm talking about culture, sporting activities, night life, and community spirit. It certainly didn't help either once the weather changed and I experienced what 35 degrees feels like when the air is mixed with dampness. Bone chilling cold!! 35 degrees is teeth chattering cold in Seattle. Not a bad place and I didn't get too annoyed with the whole drug culture mostly because you can avoid it to a certain degree. Seattle is an acquired taste I think. For sure a fun place.

Driving back to the East coast on January 4th, I checked the highway patrol weather lines and found that chains were required to even drive through much of Colorado and Utah. I confirmed that info with Triple AAA, and decided to drive the entire west coast route through Oregon all the way south to Barstow California right outside Los Angeles. Then swung east and the trip took me through Nevada(spent one night in Vegas, what a FUN city), drove right past Arizona and New Mexico, spent the night in Texas, kept it going while spending nights in between, past Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi then Alabama.

Longest road trip I've ever taken. Required 5 days and nights. Saw snow only in Oklahoma and that was from a week prior and had no effect on my trip. Was very lucky to not have encountered any snow at all. The extra 500 miles added expense and additional day was well worth it.

Took I-5 all the way from Seattle till Bakersfield California then went west on a less major highway about 70 miles north of Barstow. Took Highway 58 to I-15 into Vegas. After leaving Vegas took minor highway to I-40 and stayed on that Interstate all the way into Memphis. Long trip but a trouble free one thanks to taking the southern route in order to avoid winter weather. The only weather related issue encountered was extreme fog while driving through Arkansas which did require cutting my travel time on the highway short. Anytime the long haul truckers can't see well enough to drive at night its time for most other travelers to get off the roads which I did. I hope this travel log helps future travelers.

Btw, I had several helpful apps on my Android phone. Have a gas finder app to locate the cheapest price fuel. That saved me at least $25 for the trip. Also used a reliable Rest Stop app which gave me info on the facilities at all rest stops and their locations in time and miles. Last but not lease I used the Weather Channel app. Excellent App. Show roads which might be snow covered(via Satellite and radar assisted), in addition to all types of weather conditions.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 24th 2014 at 8:50 am.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Was it a nice drive, as in scenic? How long did it take?
It was a pleasant trip. Can now say I've driven around all four corners of the country. Oregon is beautiful!! I was impressed by several cities like Sacramento California, and Albuquerque NM and even Bakersfield Cali. I took my time and stopped when something caught my attention. One of those kind of trips you do maybe once every 5 or 10 years. About 3200 miles it was.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:52 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
It was a pleasant trip. Can now say I've driven around all four corners of the country. Oregon is beautiful!! I was impressed by several cities like Sacramento California, and Albuquerque NM and even Bakersfield Cali. I took my time and stopped when something caught my attention. One of those kind of trips you do maybe once every 5 or 10 years. About 3200 miles it was.
What you saw of Oregon was the I-5 corridor... It gets much much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.