Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Wikiposts

Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Originally Posted by Bob
No, the engine in the car is fine, but we were talking about the plug into mains type charge for the battery that FB mentioned, doing that isn't as healthy for the environment as the impression appears.
It may not be 'as healthy' as one might think, but - my point is this - if the choice is between
1) a plug-in car, and
2) a regular gasoline car OR hybrid,
I would have to believe that using power generated by a power station has GOT to be less impacting on the environment than using an individual gasoline engine per car. Even if the power station is 'dirty', I would think the 'pollution per kilowatt of energy' would be less than a car engine. It's not 'free' of pollution, as some may naively think, but still 'better'.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It may not be 'as healthy' as one might think, but - my point is this - if the choice is between
1) a plug-in car, and
2) a regular gasoline car OR hybrid,
I would have to believe that using power generated by a power station has GOT to be less impacting on the environment than using an individual gasoline engine per car. Even if the power station is 'dirty', I would think the 'pollution per kilowatt of energy' would be less than a car engine. It's not 'free' of pollution, as some may naively think, but still 'better'.
Naaa....it's on par, there's no environmental advantage to option 1 in the US generally speaking, it can be else where in the world though.

Premium on the cost of the car and maintainence also means it probably isn't much cheaper or cheap at all either unless you do run it into the ground, but once out of warrantey and lack of local mechanics after the 6 year point, it might even be more expensive.

I still think they are a good idea though because they need the momentum to reach that economy of scale some how and they are a good option for those who can afford them
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an enormous amount of wastage in the distribution system, from generation through distribution.

As far as Green is concerned I remember seeing a Prius compared with a Hummer, it was a close call.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

If over-analysis were bricks, this thread would be the Great Wall of China.

SP, your GF should buy the car she wants to drive now, not the one that might be easier to fix/justify/rationalize ten years from now.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
If over-analysis were bricks, this thread would be the Great Wall of China.

SP, your GF should buy the car she wants to drive now, not the one that might be easier to fix/justify/rationalize ten years from now.
Well, like most threads here on BE, we're long gone from the original issue and onto matters of great import, such as saving the environment, comparing electric cars to gasoline cars, etc!

However, a car is a very expensive purchase and, unlike housing which (used to!) appreciate, is likely to lose a lot of value and cost a lot along the way. You may be happy to buy the impulse car of your dreams, but I've always avoided sinking money into cars. I've got two homes to maintain, I eat out every night, and I'm seriously planning on retiring soon ... so I don't want to spend a penny more on cars than I have to. Future maintenance is a huge potential cost in a vehicle.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

You may be happy to buy the impulse car of your dreams, but I've always avoided sinking money into cars. I've got two homes to maintain, I eat out every night, and I'm seriously planning on retiring soon ... so I don't want to spend a penny more on cars than I have to. Future maintenance is a huge potential cost in a vehicle.
I wouldn't call a Camry hybrid the impulse car of my dreams... she wasn't looking for a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

FWIW I just got rid of a 12 year old Taurus (that I bought new) for a 2008 4Runner. My wife drives a 1992 Camry... so we know all about not sinking a lot of money into cars.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a Camry Hybrid for a couple of years...average just under 40mpg, doing a mixture of highway and downtown driving on my commute.

Best traffic conditions for fuel economy are when you're at a steady 40mph, as someone else said for regular highway driving it's not that much different to a regular petrol engine. The battery is recharged by braking.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:34 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd want the whole stigma that goes along with owning a hybrid. Although, I guess if it worked in my situation I'd consider it, and damn what anyone thinks.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm not sure I'd want the whole stigma that goes along with owning a hybrid. Although, I guess if it worked in my situation I'd consider it, and damn what anyone thinks.
South Park, episode 141!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I guess it conjours up an image of something you drive to and from your private jet.

I live in South Park, all I have seen have been passing through.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:01 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
South Park, episode 141!
Genius. Pure and unadulterated.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

My g/f wants to buy a hybrid. She hates driving in general, and only drives about 4 miles a day in the local area - no freeway driving. I'm concerned that this type of driving is not going to be all that good for the car - the battery won't get a good charge from 'coasting', and so the engine will be on all the time - defeating the purpose of the hybrid.

Is this a fair analysis of the situation? I'm a techie-geek but have not really researched hybrids; my assumptions above are based on a limited understanding.

My guess is a hybrid will function best when you do plenty of freeway driving, where the coasting will charge the battery.

I suppose I have two issues - 1) will the type of driving she does be harmful to the car (specifically, the battery - an expensive component to replace) and 2) will she see any benefit from the hybrid in terms of gas mileage (makes little sense to pay a premium for a hybrid if you don't get any payback whatsoever in gas consumption).

I'd love to find a website that explains the trade-offs, optimal usage patterns, etc ...
Haven't (yet) read the full thread, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else here.

I have a Prius, love the gas mileage, love the size of the car too for the small town driving I do. We have driven it across the States to CA and had no problems...little slow at climbing though.

I only use it about 3 times a week and don't drive it more than maybe 20 miles at a time, I think it does harm the battery, the battery in mine has had to be jumped a couple of times, and when we took it in for a service, they said it needed a new one.

We are going to trade it in later this year and I am wanting to get something bigger, maybe a small SUV, I would be happy to get another hybrid though and at least the next one will get driven more
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I wouldn't call a Camry hybrid the impulse car of my dreams... she wasn't looking for a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

FWIW I just got rid of a 12 year old Taurus (that I bought new) for a 2008 4Runner. My wife drives a 1992 Camry... so we know all about not sinking a lot of money into cars.

A car is the second biggest purchase for most people after a home. Spending $4k extra for a hybrid (or whatever it is), and signing up for the likely extra maintenance down the road is a big financial concern for me. Before I knew better, I bought cars based on 'other factors' and ended up fixing blown head gaskets, being stuck by the side of the road, and being hit by big maintenance bills. I've heard that Hybrids have very expensive batteries and that's the one thing you don't want to 'abuse', so my original question was based on whether or not her driving pattern would adversely affect the battery.

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Haven't (yet) read the full thread, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else here.

I have a Prius, love the gas mileage, love the size of the car too for the small town driving I do. We have driven it across the States to CA and had no problems...little slow at climbing though.

I only use it about 3 times a week and don't drive it more than maybe 20 miles at a time, I think it does harm the battery, the battery in mine has had to be jumped a couple of times, and when we took it in for a service, they said it needed a new one.

We are going to trade it in later this year and I am wanting to get something bigger, maybe a small SUV, I would be happy to get another hybrid though and at least the next one will get driven more
How much are they telling you the new battery is going to cost? This is exactly my concern, that 'some' driving patterns are going to damage the battery!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:19 am
Account Closed

A car is the second biggest purchase for most people after a home. Spending $4k extra for a hybrid (or whatever it is), and signing up for the likely extra maintenance down the road is a big financial concern for me. Before I knew better, I bought cars based on 'other factors' and ended up fixing blown head gaskets, being stuck by the side of the road, and being hit by big maintenance bills. I've heard that Hybrids have very expensive batteries and that's the one thing you don't want to 'abuse', so my original question was based on whether or not her driving pattern would adversely affect the battery.

How much are they telling you the new battery is going to cost? This is exactly my concern, that 'some' driving patterns are going to damage the battery!
I thought they were guaranteed for 5 or 6 years?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought they were guaranteed for 5 or 6 years?
fortunately it wasn't the BIG battery, but I have heard that on our model 2007, that the BIG battery will only last around 3 years before you start having problems, that is the main reason we are trading ours in.

Not sure about that and the warranty Boiler, will ask hubby tonight when we talk on skype.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.