Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best driving conditions for a hybrid

Originally Posted by Steerpike
She will never, repeat never, come to Scottsdale once the temperature gets above 95 ...
It's a dry heat.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

I have no idea on the best conditions for a Hybrid in general but since I've had mine I'm getting about 38-40mpg highway and around 33-34 in the city. I traded a year-old Murano which averaged 14mpg for a Camry Hybrid as I now drive 500-600 miles a week compared to ~25 or so. It's by no means an exciting car to drive or look at but it does what I want it to, and there's not a huge amount of extra maintenance until you start to get into the high mileage.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Today's hybrids generate their own power ... but even a plug-in is - I PRESUME - going to be using power generated much more efficiently than having a personal power plant under the hood!
Aye, but I was replying to FB, regarding the plug in variety...and it's not how it uses the power, it is the power that is sourced to juice the battery, it's still the same old dirty stuff so not great on the environment. Good in France where it's all nuclear and in Scandinavian countries who use green, or places like the UK who switch to nuclear at night time.

Here, it all boils down to the inefficiency and dirt of the power plant so your adding a x6-10 factor on top of the car.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
A roadside electric outlet every 30 miles?
We're still in the early stages of this. Eventually, as technology and mass production ramp up, you won't need an electric outlet every 30 miles. But just about every hotel/motel, parking garage, etc. will be equipped with facilities. And maybe we'll have 500 mile batteries.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

We bought a prius last week, and we are currently running at 48mpg

I tend to drive hubbie to the station in the morning - 3 mile round trip, then i do two trips to the dog park - 4 mile round trips, then another trip to the station in the evening. i also go to the store a few times during the week.

At the weekend we drive 200 - 300 miles in it.

Only had it a week, but finding it fine, i can drive to the station (flat both ways) and be running on the battery 80% of the journey.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
No wonder there are so many fat bastards in this country. Exercise will do them all good, I was in Scottsdale in 2007, it was f'kin hot but I walked about.
She weighs about 100 pounds . She drives to the nearby reservoir to go walking every day.

I just checked; I exaggerated - it's actually 11 miles to the reservoir round-trip, and then she stops off at the store/etc - so she probably does 20 miles a day.
Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's a dry heat.
I'm loving the weather in Scottsdale! 100F in Scottsdale is about the same as 90F in the Bay Area, and 65 in Florida! But she can't take the 90F days in CA, and once it gets over 100F in Scottsdale, it is brutal. So I plan to spend most of the summer months in CA, fall/winter/spring in AZ.

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but I was replying to FB, regarding the plug in variety...and it's not how it uses the power, it is the power that is sourced to juice the battery, it's still the same old dirty stuff so not great on the environment. Good in France where it's all nuclear and in Scandinavian countries who use green, or places like the UK who switch to nuclear at night time.

Here, it all boils down to the inefficiency and dirt of the power plant so your adding a x6-10 factor on top of the car.
Surely, though - using power generated by a big power plant - however 'dirty' - can't be as bad as a personal gasoline generator, aka the engine under the hood?

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
We bought a prius last week, and we are currently running at 48mpg

I tend to drive hubbie to the station in the morning - 3 mile round trip, then i do two trips to the dog park - 4 mile round trips, then another trip to the station in the evening. i also go to the store a few times during the week.

At the weekend we drive 200 - 300 miles in it.

Only had it a week, but finding it fine, i can drive to the station (flat both ways) and be running on the battery 80% of the journey.
I have several friends who have the Prius; they all LOVE IT unconditionally! They rave about the space, and how it drives. I commute a lot and am often passed by a Prius doing about 80 - it's no slouch!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

I don't get you Bob.

The energy in the battery of any hybrid is manufactured within the car, not by plugging it into the mains and recharging overnight. Energy that would normally be heating up yor brake pads every time you slow or stop is instead diverted to recharging the battery.

Ultimately all the energy you pump into a Prius comes via the gas tank, but you get 48mpg or so from a Prius instead of 34 mpg or less from every other vehicle on the road barring some other hybrids.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
I don't get you Bob.

The energy in the battery of any hybrid is manufactured within the car, not by plugging it into the mains and recharging overnight. Energy that would normally be heating up yor brake pads every time you slow or stop is instead diverted to recharging the battery.

Ultimately all the energy you pump into a Prius comes via the gas tank, but you get 48mpg or so from a Prius instead of 34 mpg or less from every other vehicle on the road barring some other hybrids.
I can beat that. I drive a Chevy Metro. I average 50mpg on the highway. It's got a little 1 liter, 3-cylinder engine, so I'm not going to win any races, but I don't care. The Metro was discontinued in '95, and GM needs to bring it back.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
I can beat that. I drive a Chevy Metro. I average 50mpg on the highway. It's got a little 1 liter, 3-cylinder engine, so I'm not going to win any races, but I don't care. The Metro was discontinued in '95, and GM needs to bring it back.
It was a rebadged Suzuki Swift -- a mediocre supermini by world standards.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I have several friends who have the Prius; they all LOVE IT unconditionally! They rave about the space, and how it drives. I commute a lot and am often passed by a Prius doing about 80 - it's no slouch!
Prius are crap and extreemely ugly, people but them to be 'green' but the fact is they are only green on long runs. I laugh every time I see a yellow cab prius in NYC cos they sit there idling and never leave the city, totally pointless.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:45 pm
Septicity

Prius are crap and extreemely ugly, people but them to be 'green' but the fact is they are only green on long runs. I laugh every time I see a yellow cab prius in NYC cos they sit there idling and never leave the city, totally pointless.
It's the other way round! They're economical in the city, but pointless on long runs.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:05 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
buy her a golf cart

+1

Or a bike.

Or one of them pedal cars with a roof. 4 miles a day???

After reading the thread I think you may as well go with the hybrid,

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Jan 24th 2010 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It's the other way round! They're economical in the city, but pointless on long runs.
Not according to the NYC cab drivers I talk to. They say the electric motor takes over mostly when cruising on an interstate.

Whatever ....... they are still crap ..... The Honda Insight however seems a lot better.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:39 pm
Septicity

Not according to the NYC cab drivers I talk to. They say the electric motor takes over mostly when cruising on an interstate.

Whatever ....... they are still crap ..... The Honda Insight however seems a lot better.
Depends on how far you're cruising! More than 30 or 40 miles and either the gas engine kicks in on you're not going anywhere with the energy capable of being stored in current battery technology on the Pious.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was a rebadged Suzuki Swift -- a mediocre supermini by world standards.
Well, this mediocre supermini is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It's never once left me on the side of the road in the 8 years I've had it.
GM was insane to discontinue this model. But that's GM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.