Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Being away from home...

Being away from home...

Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being away from home...

Originally Posted by neil
Another thing we did on our last flight was take the daytime flight so you avoid keeping other passengers awake. I quite like doing the day flight because it seems to help with jet lag as you get up early US time and arrive in time for bed that evening in the UK (I used to be able to take the overnight and go straight to the UK office; there's no way I can do that any more).
Thats brilliant; I didn't even know there were daytime flights though - certainly they must be very rare.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Thats brilliant; I didn't even know there were daytime flights though - certainly they must be very rare.
NY and DC
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

I am not a big fan of the day flights. It means getting up really early - think I had to be at the airport for 6am when I did it, and then you lose the entire day. Then when I arrived back I was exhausted but too wound up to sleep so ended up not sleeping much.

At least with the night flights I manage to get an hour or twos sleep, and even though the next day is a bit of a blur I can adjust quite quickly.

However with kids this may work out well.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are flying to and from. There are several daytime flights to London from the NY area airports.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

American just started one from Chicago too.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Not from down here yet though, sadly, but that certainly would be my preference - I hate those overnight flights East. I just cannot sleep on planes, never have been able to.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:13 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
Another thing we did on our last flight was take the daytime flight so you avoid keeping other passengers awake. I quite like doing the day flight because it seems to help with jet lag as you get up early US time and arrive in time for bed that evening in the UK (I used to be able to take the overnight and go straight to the UK office; there's no way I can do that any more).
We had a daytime flight with our 4 year old from heathrow to o'hare and they still dim the lights and quieten things down halfway across the pond for passengers to get some rest. We were told on several occasions to be quiet by the air crew (one stewardess was a right bitch) and in my opinion my son was being very good! Travelling with little uns is a nightmare but the more they do it the more they get used to it and the better they behave. My son knows the routine now, we take lots of books, paper and pencils, his Nintendo ds and then there's the in-flight movies.... Airlines really annoy me with the way they treat families! They are more than happy to charge you full price for the seat but they give kids food they won't eat and don't even offer them so much as a packet of crayons to keep them amused! Rant over!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JEM3110
We had a daytime flight with our 4 year old from heathrow to o'hare and they still dim the lights and quieten things down halfway across the pond for passengers to get some rest. We were told on several occasions to be quiet by the air crew (one stewardess was a right bitch) and in my opinion my son was being very good! Travelling with little uns is a nightmare but the more they do it the more they get used to it and the better they behave. My son knows the routine now, we take lots of books, paper and pencils, his Nintendo ds and then there's the in-flight movies.... Airlines really annoy me with the way they treat families! They are more than happy to charge you full price for the seat but they give kids food they won't eat and don't even offer them so much as a packet of crayons to keep them amused! Rant over!
Its always (again, unless someone knows different) a daytime flight UK to US; you are right though they do try and quieten things down a bit. I don't find coming West anywhere near as bad as going the other way, but now our daughter is nearly 2, I'm sure it might be more interesting.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Its always (again, unless someone knows different) a daytime flight UK to US; you are right though they do try and quieten things down a bit. I don't find coming West anywhere near as bad as going the other way, but now our daughter is nearly 2, I'm sure it might be more interesting.
Yep but thats because you can fly east and still take off and land during the day time (even if that is quite early) - it wouldn't be possible to have a night flight that did this.

So normally people wouldn't want to sleep going west.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are evening flights from London to New York.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I finally caved and allowed my daughter a portable dvd player for long car journeys and flights and it has been a lifesaver on recent trips.
But the food thing drives me insane, often times they won't even bring her a meal despite us having paid full whack for the seat. I've had to demand her food on more than one occasion. I don't care if she's not going to eat it, it's paid for and we're having it!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Travelling with a sprog can be a nightmare. If it was me I would be completely selfish and do what I thought was in the best interest of my family (OH and baby) and if that means that I'd have to wait for my parents to come to me, but my OH and baby would be better off with that then that's what I'd tell them. You can't underestimate how having a baby turns your life upside down ( in a good but sleep deprived, hectic way). Hope everything is going well with the pregnancy
I agree. However, it will be easier to travel with a baby than a toddler if you do need to make a trip back.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
I agree. However, it will be easier to travel with a baby than a toddler if you do need to make a trip back.
besides the point , but funny (with hindsight )

when i was commuting mcr-dublin , i was sat in my seat when a lady with 3 kids got and sat next to me with the youngest , leaving the other 2 (5-6 y.o) on the opposite 3 seat cluster .
they were on a 1-day trip .
once the doors shut , an hostess told the lady that the "other" 2 , couldnt sit on there own .
there was noway to ensure adult supervision as the seats were 2 rows of 3 , and she had 3 children ............
me being a gentleman , i volunteered to go sit next to the 2 older children .

worst short-haul i've ever had !!!!

i thought the "hands in the air and scream" rollercoaster style take off was bad , but nothing prepared me for the fight over the green crayon once they'd got bored of colouring-in . (about 2 mins after the rollercoaster ride )
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Too funny Ian C. I have two toddlers and the fighting and wrestling matches have begun, even though my daughter is a mere 19 months old she will go after her brother and take him on now she is mobile. This morning was the ice cream fight and I have spent an hour cleaning up the mess they made in the family room. During their little fight they dropped most of the ice creams over the couches and floor and tv but luckily the dog helped me clean up the mess.

Whatever one has the other one wants which, is why I would dread a long haul flight with them both, I can just imagine food and drinks all over fellow passengers. Just the logistics of all the stuff you have too carry too, milk, diapers, toys, car seats, strollers... I often wonder how people manage to get everything to check in but they do.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:22 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Oh yes, I remember those days-6 months baby vs 18 month old toddler-BIG difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.