Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This article makes me vomit..

This article makes me vomit..

Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:43 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This article makes me vomit..

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
you first...
I'll push my Lincoln home, then.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'll bite.
So someone else offers the same product at a lower price and you go buy that. The company charging the higher prices starts losing business and is forced to lower their prices. That's called competition. Now, if you want to talk illegal price-fixing, monoplistic practices and anti-competitive stratgies, then OK. But there's no evidence that's what's happening here.
I understand all about competition. In reference to the discussion, you are relatively limited regarding your choice of oil companies to buy from. And the prices are always within pennies of each other. For all we know, there could be a bit of illegal price-fixing going on here. The fact that their profits are increasing implies their overheads are decreasing. And most of the oil companies were announcing record profits (not just this one), which implies, IMO, that overheads are dropping, inferring the price of crude is dropping, but the price is not dropping to reflect that. As Ray mentioned, I would need to see all the details to get the whole picture, but on the surface it appears to me that there's some lying going on.

Huh? Growing profits: ability to invest in more projects= more jobs= better for everyone. Stagnation= your competitors (rightfully) eat you alive and everyone loses their job.
Oh yes, and most projects are all about cost cutting, or new equipment that will reduce costs, which gives more jobs to people like me (an engineer). Maintaining your profits does not mean you're stagnating, it implies you are maintaining your market share. Which implies you are employing more people to reduce those costs, expanding your R&D to introduce more products, expanding warehouses, assembly plants, etc. And of course, the consumer may have to eat the price increase for all the add'l overhead, but that doesn't mean that you keep charging increasingly more just to make more money. What is wrong with keeping your profit % increase to stay in line close to inflation? I'm not saying that you can't reasonably expect there to be growing profits, but when is enough, enough?? You can only buy so much shit with your millions, and you can't take it with you to the grave.

You're right, savings rate's a hugely important statistic. That's why it's carefully monitored. Not sure what you're talking about here.
TBH, I wasn't aware that anyone actually monitored the savings rate. All I ever hear about is the % rise in GDP, increase foreclosure rate, % increases in profits for retailers. I have yet to hear one economist express concern about the level of savings in this country. Hell, our esteemed president wants to give us more money so we'll just go out and spend it.

No. If it costs too much to drive, I'll drive less. Once again, were you complaining when gas was 96 cents a gallon ten years ago? Did that make you want to vomit?
I didn't pay much attention to news during that time, but I don't remember oil companies announcing record profits during that time. Some don't have the luxury to drive less. Some can't afford to live closer to the employer due to cost of living. And some don't have access to public transpo or carpooling. This works for you, but probably not the majority.

Executive pay is a separate topic. I have a problem with it not because it's ridiculously high, but mainly because it doesn't seem to be tied to performance these days. I don't fault people for making what they can. To do so seems to be jealousy to me.
I'm not jealous per se. Would I like $150m bonus? Sure, I'd probably take it, but then feel guilty afterward. But as you said, it's not being tied to performance, which I completely disagree with. OH and I have had debates about making those sorts of bonuses illegal. I don't entirely agree with it, but the idea has merits. Imagine if the $150m bonus was used to build a new oil refinery instead. At least that would help the threat of shortages.

What d you propose? Capping prices will lead to shortages. Subsidizing gas will just pass on the cost to taxpayers. Of course that's true. So people have to weigh their purchases one against the other... like always.
Yes, that's true. I'll have to think of a suitable reply and come back.

Are you implying that Bush has conspired to raise gas prices? What would you propose he do?
I won't go there. I think it could be a strong likelihood. He wanted to go into Iraq after all didn't he?? Since we now know there were no WMDs, what other reason did he have to go into Iraq except for oil. That doesn't mean I have enough info to realisticly prove it though.

Single income, two kids. I drive a battered Mazda. I just believe in capitalism.
I believe in some version of capitalism, but not the form we have today. I've not spent any time studying diff types of economies, but I don't think a pure capitalistic market can survive forever - eventually it'll burn itself out. But I will admit that economies and the study of economics is a bit beyond my ken. I just try to think of things in the simplest terms possible - which may not be feasible with regards to economics.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 1st 2008 at 8:47 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:46 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit, I'm probably guilty of what a lot of Americans are.

I drive a gas-guzzling car because it doesn't break the bank and it's nice and convenient and comfortable - so I guess I'm willfully contributing to Exxon's profits by using more of their product than I need to.

If I'm low on gas, I'll pull over to the nearest station - I never really look at the prices to see if it's going to be more or less than aother nearby station because I stupidly figure 'it'll all roughly be the same price' - so I'm willfully contributing to Exxon's profits by not going to a cheaper gas pump.

So, really, I've got nobody to blame but myself.

I think millions of Americans do exactly the same as me - hence Exxon's profits.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:30 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
The fact that their profits are increasing implies their overheads are decreasing. And most of the oil companies were announcing record profits (not just this one),

which implies, IMO, that overheads are dropping, inferring the price of crude is dropping, but the price is not dropping to reflect that. .
india and china's use of petroleum products is expanding massively, supply and demand means that prices go up since there is less to go round, not that overheads are actually dropping

Maintaining your profits does not mean you're stagnating, it implies you are maintaining your market share. Which implies you are employing more people to reduce those costs, expanding your R&D to introduce more products, expanding warehouses, assembly plants, etc.

What is wrong with keeping your profit % increase to stay in line close to inflation? I'm not saying that you can't reasonably expect there to be growing profits, but when is enough, enough?? You can only buy so much shit with your millions, and you can't take it with you to the grave.
keeping your profit increases in line with inflation is only maintaining it and means you are potentially LOSING market share compared to competitors if your market is growing

as my other post said, company directors have a legal duty to look after their shareholders

this means increasing profits and shareholder returns
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an idea, don't fill up at Exxon if you don't like it!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Here's an idea, don't fill up at Exxon if you don't like it!
It's not just Exxon CJ. The majority of them have high profits. If I follow this logic, how am I to get to work if I don't buy the gas. Unfortunately this industry has us by the balls - we can't not consume it (until we can all afford hydrogen cars).

BGiT, I understand the legal obligation to shareholders. Shareholders can mean you and me, if we own stock. Yes, I would expect to see a return on my investment, but making money at the expense of others would not make me cozy and warm inside. That's how I view these insurance companies - but I understand for some that it's all about the $$.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

If they're paying me more, are they charging more money for the product/service they provide to compensate for my salary? Someone ultimately eats the costs of wages, bills, etc. That person is the consumer.

When the company starts charging over and well beyond what their overheads are, when I, the consumer, am getting nothing additional for the money, then I consider that company extremely greedy and yes it makes we want to hurl. Yes, yes I know this is a capitalist country, and all that bunk. I think I finally agree with my OH that part of the problem with this economy (& country) is it's all about increasing your profits - all it is, is sheer greed. Why is there a problem with maintaining your profits, year to year?

Why is our economic index based on how much shit people buy, instead of also taking into consideration how much they save?? Would that not be also be a good indication of a healthy economy?

PG, can you honestly say that you don't want to vomit when you hear that a company that produces such a necessary commodity is making billions of dollars in profit off of your hard-earned check?? It doesn't make you vomit when you hear a CEO is retiring/terminated and taking a $150m bonus/severence check? Especially when you have to cut other things out of your budget in order to pay more for the gas?? Ultimately, this only leads to other corporations losing money because now you can't afford the new jeans, shoes, socks, tv, etc. IMHO, part of the problem with the slowing economy is directly due to the damn oil companies taking more of our paychecks. If Bush wants to stimulate the economy, maybe he should take a look at his oil buddies, and think about doing something to lower the price of gas.

Sorry, been having some heated discussions with the other half on the topic of the economy and looks like y'all are on the receiving end.
Well heck, if all you want companies to do is maintain their profits, year after year - I guess you won't be wanting a raise then ever - you should just maintain your salary year after year.

Capitalism is about making profit. And it's the shareholders that profit - the company is doing what they're supposed to do. Any money made is "at the expense of others" - one spends it, one makes it.

Communism didn't turn too well.

And Exxon can't be charging radically more than all of their competitors - or they'd be out of business. If you think they're horrible and awful and worse than their competitors - don't buy their product.