Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Arriving Dulles on Mon Dec 16th

Arriving Dulles on Mon Dec 16th

Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

RayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to behold
Default Arriving Dulles on Mon Dec 16th

I know I am asking a great team..

Well at last, I got my visa back in Sept 10th. Flat sale almost done fingers crossed. I leave UK Mon Dec 16th. Arrive US Mid afternoon.
I have a two hour lay over, Hope that's long enough to be processed.

Can I drive on my UK licence whilst waiting for my New York Licence. I have always driven on it in the past .
I know I have to apply for a permit, then attend a 5 hr classroom test, then the road test

Thanks for any info
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Dulles on Mon Dec 16th

Originally Posted by RayAme
Can I drive on my UK licence whilst waiting for my New York Licence.
I don't see where you have a choice. Either that, or don't drive.

Just get your NY license as soon as possible.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

RayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to beholdRayAme is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I intend to goto the DMV on Tuesday or Wednesday, definatley within the 1st week I am back home. Have been away for 15 months, I got a lot of catching up to do with my wife, extended family and friends. Gonna miss everything back here in London, but my wife and new life is there in Buffalo. I know so many people have been telling for 12 yrs people don't go to Buffalo , they leave. By the way for what it's worth, we met in an AOL chat room, long before the dating sites and facebook... Once again thanks for the help over past months.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I intend to goto the DMV on Tuesday or Wednesday, definatley within the 1st week I am back home. Have been away for 15 months, I got a lot of catching up to do with my wife, extended family and friends. Gonna miss everything back here in London, but my wife and new life is there in Buffalo. I know so many people have been telling for 12 yrs people don't go to Buffalo , they leave. By the way for what it's worth, we met in an AOL chat room, long before the dating sites and facebook... Once again thanks for the help over past months.
Hi Ray,

I am moving to ROC which is near Buffalo (circa March 2014). Congrats on getting your visa and confirming your plans

Hoffage
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You're moving to an airport? Like Viktor Navorski ?

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hoffage123
I am moving to ROC which is near Buffalo (circa March 2014).
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You're moving to an airport? Like Viktor Navorski ?

Regards, JEff
ROC - the area

If the Visa Unit actually get my name right.

Got the packet (wrong presentation of name boohoo).

Hoffage
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I intend to goto the DMV on Tuesday or Wednesday, definatley within the 1st week I am back home.
That's probably a little too early to go to DMV, unless you already have a social security number from some other stint in the USA.

I don't know specifically about NY, but most states need you to have a SSN before you can get a DL.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

At first I wondered why you were writing about the Republic of China, but the mention of nearby Buffalo quickly cleared that up.

Not everyone is familiar will all of the airport codes, particularly for airports that aren't nearby of that they don't use. And some of those codes are not as obvious as others with regard to the location of the airport.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hoffage123
ROC - the area
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
And some of those codes are not as obvious as others with regard to the location of the airport.
This caused me no end of confusion when Sheila and I were still dating. I'd fly to CVG and she'd pick me up there. I always thought it was the code for Cincinnatti - since that's the market it served... only to find out that not only is the airport not in Cincinnatti, it's not even in Ohio! It's in Kentucky - Covington, KY... just across the Ohio River! Mystery solved!

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know specifically about NY, but most states need you to have a SSN before you can get a DL.
NYS DMV requires sight of your actual Social Security Card, not just the number.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Just as well I don't need a licence to use a snow blower.
:-)
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

amyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant future

RayAme,
I'm a Buffal gal myself. I assume you've seen the weather reports this week? Lol. I live down south now, due to family circumstances, but lived 40 years in Buffalo. Hope you don't let the naysayers put you off too much. There's a lot of great things about the western New York area, especially the friendliness of people, and fantastic food. And the beautiful Niagara River, the Great Lakes, summers are usually spevpcatcular . . . Oh dear, now I am a bit homesick.
Wish you all the best!
Amy Jo
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

I used my UK license for 3 months before getting my US one, the test is very easy compared to the UK one.
The signs test is easy and the actual practical is just driving around with a parallel park and a bit of reversing.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

You have to get a US one?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I know I have to get a NY D/L. I will apply asap.

Took off 50 mins late from Heathrow and the pilot didn't make up thee time. Arrived into chaos at Washington DC. Immigration 1st officer was a bit awkward but the secondary guy was fine. Missed connection. No late flights out, about 500 people had to rebook at the customer service desk, hours queing spent, called my wife in Buffalo and she got on the phone a booked for next day. Arrive to my destination Tuesday afternoon. Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Washington. Got a good rate and was very clean and tidy.

So I am now a CR1.
Got a 1 year stamp does that mean I have to reapply within 3 months of the expiry date.
Thats the story so far. Oh and the snow blower won't start, fuel starvation.. Oh Well as they say here Shit happens lol.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Last edited by RayAme; Dec 18th 2013 at 2:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.