Forum Regular

lexelf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leslie66
Yes he is Republican.

Leslie
oh god...not another one....
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lexelf
oh god...not another one....

LOL. I don't dislike Arnie, but I am having a hard time taking him seriously. As far as Republicans go he's pretty moderate. But, I'm not a California resident, so my vote doesn't count in this case, but I have enjoyed the show. The funny thing is that Rob Lowe (formerly of The West Wing, a real life Democrat), was Arnie's campaign manager.

Leslie
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:17 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Arnold Governor?

Leslie66 wrote:
    > Originally posted by lexelf
    >
    >
    >>isn't arnie a republican??
    >
    >
    >
    >>i'm not in the states so i'm having trouble keeping up with his
    >>campaign...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes he is Republican.

And his wife is a Democrat, by birth (A little Kennedy clan humor )

Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Alecca
Wouldn't that be SCRUMPY for guv'na? Sorry, couldn't resist!
I have found my campaign manager lol

Thr trouble with Arnie is that Austrians do not have a good record of running other peoples nation's or regions do they ? Thinking of a Mr H here
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

James Mars is an unknown quantity at this point

Guten Tag, mein shatz. Hast du ein anderer doppelganger sehen?

Originally posted by DCMark
Hi Bill, SeaDave, James, etc!

Welcome back!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:28 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: austria

Originally posted by Richard III
Okay, cutenurse - help me out here. What does Arnold's last name mean? I know that Schwartz means black, so what in the heck is a "negger"? Thanks for your help
-
Richard III
I have heard some shallow speculations in the media about the meaning of the name Schwarze-Negger being connected with "black" and "negro", as in the race. This is totally wrong however. The right splitting of the name would be actually Schwarzen-Egger. This means 'black plowman' and makes much more sense - there are hardly any black people in Austria.

It's a very typical type of name in the german language, combining a color like you already figured out (probably hair) and their job. "Egge" is a tool, kinda like a plow or a harrow (?) for raking the the field.
Another name of this type would be Heidegger (note that it has the same ending).
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Marjeta -

Thanks for your response. What you are saying makes perfect sense. The "shallow speculators" apparently didn't get that if schwartze means black in German, negger isn't likely to also mean black, since negro is derived from black in Latin, niger. In Spanish and Portuguese black = negro. German and Spanish don't tend to have much in common.

I didn't know enough to break the word at the right point. Thanks for your explanation.

Richard III

Originally posted by Marjeta
I have heard some shallow speculations in the media about the meaning of the name Schwarze-Negger being connected with "black" and "negro", as in the race. This is totally wrong however. The right splitting of the name would be actually Schwarzen-Egger. This means 'black plowman' and makes much more sense - there are hardly any black people in Austria.

It's a very typical type of name in the german language, combining a color like you already figured out (probably hair) and their job. "Egge" is a tool, kinda like a plow or a harrow (?) for raking the the field.
Another name of this type would be Heidegger (note that it has the same ending).
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

James -

What a laugh riot you are ha ha ha ha ha. Cut it out, you are just tooooo funny! Can you speak dog?

Richard III

Originally posted by James Mars
Guten Tag, mein shatz. Hast du ein anderer doppelganger sehen?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Actually the Habsburgs were very good at it for about 600 years. The French, Germans and Itailians had the advantages of a more common culture and language and they were usually worse off in terms of unity during those times. The Austrians had some trouble in Northern Italy and a very independently minded Hungry but they were often reasonable in their rule. But they had a very diverse population under a single government and it survived rather well. One thing you can say in their favor is they tended to marrry and make treates for territory. I know of a few other empires that preferred other methods.

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
I have found my campaign manager lol

Thr trouble with Arnie is that Austrians do not have a good record of running other peoples nation's or regions do they ? Thinking of a Mr H here
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Marjeta

Hi:

An attorney who I often hire to draft my briefs has a German mother and knows something of the language -- she says it translates into English as equivalent to "Blackacre" -- a term know to American law students from their studies of the law of real property -- which if they don't involve Blackacre, will involved Whiteacre, if not both.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:20 am
Mrtravel

doctor scrumpy wrote:

>
    > Thr trouble with Arnie is that Austrians do not have a good record
    > of running other peoples nation's or regions do they ? Thinking of
    > a Mr H here

The problem wasn't that Mr. H wanted to run Germany... It was that
spillover into Poland and Russia that started to upset people.
Of course, in Hitler's mine, Austria was part of Germany.

It should also be remembered that even mass murderers have their good
points. And, like it or not, this man knew how to tug at the
heartstrings of the masses.

Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

I have a brief history with DCMark. He said hello and I happened to notice his german in another post. Any questions? I hope not because inside jokes are such a bore to explain. But thanks for the compliment. And to answer your last question, No. But then some very strange criters can type english with a keyboard so I never really felt the need to learn. They sometimes just don't understand the context.

Originally posted by Richard III
James -

What a laugh riot you are ha ha ha ha ha. Cut it out, you are just tooooo funny! Can you speak dog?

Richard III

Last edited by James Mars; Oct 8th 2003 at 1:14 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

JnB637 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw on the news that Arnorld was going to help Immigrants but at the same time hes gonna take driver licenses away from illegal immigrants. Does that include people holding B1 and B2 Visas?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:23 am
Andy Platt

Assuming what you say is correct, what he's probably going to (try to) do is
get the recently signed legislation to allow people to get driver's licenses
without a social security number cancelled. That would presumably include B1
and B2 visa holders - though since they can drive on foreign licenses that
should be a non-issue.

I don't know squat about California state law so I don't know if an incoming
governor (especially in this situation) can simply cancel a law that hasn't
taken effect yet. If not he would need the state legislature to provide him
with a bill to sign revoking it. Or should I say terminate it?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

"JnB637" <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I saw on the news that Arnorld was going to help Immigrants but at the
    > same time hes gonna take driver licenses away from illegal immigrants.
    > Does that include people holding B1 and B2 Visas?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:34 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrtravel
doctor scrumpy wrote:

>
    > Thr trouble with Arnie is that Austrians do not have a good record
    > of running other peoples nation's or regions do they ? Thinking of
    > a Mr H here

The problem wasn't that Mr. H wanted to run Germany... It was that
spillover into Poland and Russia that started to upset people.
Of course, in Hitler's mine, Austria was part of Germany.

It should also be remembered that even mass murderers have their good
points. And, like it or not, this man knew how to tug at the
heartstrings of the masses.

Interesting point. I was shocked to hear Arnie "accused" of saying (20 years ago) that he admired Hitler's style of public speech. I can't even believe he had to defend himself, whether he said it or not. Every book I've ever read about Hitler praised his speaking style. IMO that is certainly not an endorsement or approval of his regime, it is a statement of well known fact.

My two cents.

Leslie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.