Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Arizona, so stupid it burns

Arizona, so stupid it burns

Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arizona, so stupid it burns

Originally Posted by lansbury
Always late to these things....

Suppose there's no beer or popcorn left.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

What would your thoughts be on a pastor refusing to preform a same sex marriage ceremony? although I have no objection to same sex marriage on a governmental level (the Pursuit of happiness thing in the Declaration of Independence makes it very difficult to argue against)and as such would tale a fairly libertarian view of it, I have deep objections to it theologically and if I was a pastor (which may happen in the next few years) I would refuse to preform the ceremony. Of course basic rights like housing or health care or other services should not be denied no matter who you are, as everyone is of value, but I'm not sure the government should be able to legislate on matter of conscience.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Always late to these things....

Suppose there's no beer or popcorn left.
No afraid not. Drunk too much beer that's why I haven't back until now.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
My personal feelings are that, as a standard of decency, all members of a society should be treated equally in the public domain. Individuals are entitled to their own private and personal feelings about this group or that. However, a level playing field for everybody on a societal level should be the very minimum we should accept as a civilization. All people should have the right to full membership in the world in which they live. Class systems, imo, are barbaric. We're not animals.

So, if a business person chooses to be open to the public then they should serve all members of that public or else find a different line of business. That means they accept the legal definition of public (which I happen to believe in, and agree with) and not try to make up their own personal definition of "public" as it suits their personal preferences.

Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Who's round is it?
I need a couple...after reading SG1's posts...
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:57 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Should not a private businessman have the right to decide with whom he does business? Granted, it is pretty stupid to turn away paying customers, but if a business wants to do so, I am not even sure why the would-be customers would want to force the issue?

Certainly if I walked into a business that had a sign on the wall saying "We don't serve Englishmen". I'd be more than happy to go elsewhere, and would, in fact, prefer to know that than to do business with someone who hates Englishmen.
What happens if you are in a rural location such as Colorado City and every business refused to serve Englishmen? This smacks of heading back into 1900's Deep South and the color discrimination
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:58 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I despair about AZ sometimes. SB1062. I just can't put into words how angry it makes me feel to see politicians pass laws that are blatantly unconstitutional and actively encourage discrimination.

I mean Kansas of all places almost passed a similar law recently but decided not to in the end and let the bill die. Yes, even Kansas wouldn't pass such a law.

If you are eligible to vote in AZ please consider this roll call from the senate vote next time you are in a voting booth.

http://legiscan.com/AZ/rollcall/SB1062/id/323839
It seems about a quarter of the bills are purely about picking a fight with the feds
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
What would your thoughts be on a pastor refusing to preform a same sex marriage ceremony? although I have no objection to same sex marriage on a governmental level (the Pursuit of happiness thing in the Declaration of Independence makes it very difficult to argue against)and as such would tale a fairly libertarian view of it, I have deep objections to it theologically and if I was a pastor (which may happen in the next few years) I would refuse to preform the ceremony. Of course basic rights like housing or health care or other services should not be denied no matter who you are, as everyone is of value, but I'm not sure the government should be able to legislate on matter of conscience.
I think this gets to the crux of the thread. Religious groups, while being the most discriminatory and least inclusive, are the ones who cry discrimination the loudest.

Fortunately for you, the church's "right" to bigotry and hatred is still mostly protected by law.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:41 pm
Some Where in the Desert

Well this morning on the way into work the LGBT group were out protesting this bill in front of the AZ Capitol building this morning along with the news crews.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Should not a private businessman have the right to decide with whom he does business? Granted, it is pretty stupid to turn away paying customers, but if a business wants to do so, I am not even sure why the would-be customers would want to force the issue?

Certainly if I walked into a business that had a sign on the wall saying "We don't serve Englishmen". I'd be more than happy to go elsewhere, and would, in fact, prefer to know that than to do business with someone who hates Englishmen.
That issue was settled at the lunch counters of Selma, Alabama, Biloxi, Mississippi and in numerous other bastions of racism in the South......60 years ago. The law prohibits discrimination for far more than just race.

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 21st 2014 at 2:59 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The business community is starting the fight back, doesn't want to lose out like they did after SB1070. This from Roccos Little Chicago Pizzeria:

Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The business community is starting the fight back, doesn't want to lose out like they did after SB1070. This from Roccos Little Chicago Pizzeria:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhApLm8CQAA59wA.jpg
Love it.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I often wondered why some businesses display those signs stating that they have the right to refuse service to anyone when the federal civil rights act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

"full and equal enjoyment of the goods"

So i should be able to get my breakfast at the discounted OAP rate and not be discriminated against based on my age
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I often wondered why some businesses display those signs stating that they have the right to refuse service to anyone when the federal civil rights act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

So i should be able to get my breakfast at the discounted OAP rate and not be discriminated against based on my age
I suspect that most who post those signs are directing the message at shoeless, shirtless, drunk, high or individuals that cause a disturbance or annoy other customers or have a hsistory of being a pain in the ass there. Or people packing a gun. Just a guess.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob

Race, color, religion, national origin. Not Age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.